GAMING LAPTOP £1000 ISH BUDGET ADVICE PLEASE

Associate
Hello All

I am looking to buy a laptop that is good for gaming and also good for normal tasks for my autistic son who loves computers. Would it be best to get a standard laptop or a dedicated gaming laptop? Your help would be greatly appreciated as I am not a computer person. I have read that the gaming laptops are noisy and get hot. Is this a big issue? I do not think my son will be using super advanced games that may stress the laptop.
Previously you helped me get his PC sorted which he loves using.
I have been doing some reading and the

LENOVO Legion Pro 5i Gen 8 16" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 4060, 1 TB SSD​

seems to get good reviews. It is above my budget but if it is really worth it I can try and stretch my budget. I would really appreciate your advice on this model or any gaming or standard laptop suggestions you have maybe at a lower price.

Thank you in advance for your help.:):):)

Man of Honour
Hi.

How much is that laptop ?

What sort of games Will your son be playing ?

Gaming is a bit of a gimmick it's really about what's under the hood and screen resolution.

What spec is his pc so we can sort of compare performance if looking for simmlar experience ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello Mickyfinn

Thank you for your swift response.

This is the spec of the PC purchased from Overclockers in 2021 with the help and advice from forum members.

FS-1FA-OG OcUK Gaming Sabre - Intel 12th Gen i5, RTX 3070Ti Gaming PC 1 19CA-267-CS Corsair RMx Series RM850x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 1CA-76T-LL Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic Midi-Tower - White Window 1CA-787-LL Lian-Li Strimer Plus Addressable RGB 24 Pin Motherboard Cable 1CA-788-LL Lian-Li Strimer Plus Addressable RGB 8Pin PCIe VGA Cable 1CP-6A7-IN Intel Core i5-12600K 3.70GHz (Alder Lake) Socket LGA1700 Processor - 1OEMFG-00V-LL Lian-Li UNI AL120 Addressable RGB White 120mm Fan Triple Pack with 3ControllerGX-37X-MS *Build Stock* MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Ventus 3X LHR 8GB GDDR6X 1Graphics CardHD-57H-WD WD Black SN850 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME PCI-E Gen4 Solid State Drive 1(WDS100T1X0E)HD-57N-WD WD Blue SN550 2TB SSD NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive 1(WDS200T2B0C)HS-048-CS Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Display Performance Liquid 1CPU Cooler - 360mmMB-36B-MS MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WIFI DDR4 - Intel Z690 DDR4 ATX Motherboard 1MY-4CK-CS Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen 1Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual KitSW-003-BG **Special Offer** Bullguard Internet Security - Anti-Virus and Security - 1 Year 13 PCSW-18J-MS Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit DVD - OEM (KW9-00632) 1

It was expensive, but he spends so much time using it and he loves it. It has been worth every penny. ;)

He plays ROBLOX, FOOTBALL MANAGER, CALL OF DUTY, WATCHES YOU TUBE AND USUALLY HAS MULTIPLE WINDOWS OPEN AT ONE TIME. There maybe other games as well.

Thank you for your help.;)

Peter

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello Micky Flynn

Thank you, I will have a look at that one. Do you think it is worth stretching the budget to get a better spec and future proofing the lap top? Or is this sufficient spec.
If anyone has any other suggestions please also let me know.

Thank you

Man of Honour
Hello Micky Flynn

Thank you, I will have a look at that one. Do you think it is worth stretching the budget to get a better spec and future proofing the lap top? Or is this sufficient spec.
If anyone has any other suggestions please also let me know.

Thank you

Dropping a £1000 on a laptop is a decent amount of money, sure you can always up spec but where do you stop. Also he has a very decent gaming pc to fall back on and in the end may prefer.

Check out reviews,etc and hopefully others will add further.

The joys of parenthood. :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello Andy

I got him a PC (spec included in a post above) in 2021 with help from the forum and purchased through overclockers . He wants a laptop now so he can use it in bed and take with him when he’s not in his PC . Mainly for gaming and day to day use.

Thank you for your post .

Associate
OP
Hello Micky Flynn

Thank for that
Someone has mentioned this one as they can get a good deal on it for to me Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Are they a good laptop?
Thank you

Man of Honour
Hello Micky Flynn

Thank for that
Someone has mentioned this one as they can get a good deal on it for to me Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Are they a good laptop?
Thank you
It's a higher resolution screen 1440p with higher refreshrate 240Hz with a better GPU and CPU to push it.

16gb of memory for a £2000 laptop seems like a con but it's still a decent unit.

Read reviews is what I always advise but I hope it doesn't turn out to be an expensive lesson in excess, but if you can afford it then why not.

Associate
OP
Hello Micky Flynn

I really appreciate your advice. thank you. ;) The price would be about £1400. I could not afford £2000. Do you think it is worth it at that price? I was reading online that this is a better quality than the nitro or gigabyte. I was also reading that fans get hot and are noisy on turbo. Is this anything to be concerned about? I do not think my son will be over stretching the laptops capabilities.
Would you buy this laptop?

It is just all so confusing as there is so many options.

Thanks again.

Associate
OP
Hello All I think the Acer predator I have been told about is a slightly different spec

Acer Predator Helios 16" QHD+ 240Hz 500Nits 16:10 i9-13900HX RTX 4070 16GB RAM 1TB SSD​

I am not sure if it makes a lot of difference.
Thanks Again

Man of Honour
Hello All I think the Acer predator I have been told about is a slightly different spec

Acer Predator Helios 16" QHD+ 240Hz 500Nits 16:10 i9-13900HX RTX 4070 16GB RAM 1TB SSD​

I am not sure if it makes a lot of difference.
Thanks Again
That's the same one you linked above.

£1400 is a good price for the spec and yes I would buy it for that price.

Laptops do get hot and noisy because of the high spec components in a small package it's just part of the deal , pushing the limits of the parts as cooling is limited.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello Micky
I just wanted to say thank you again for your help.
Still not made a decision. This deals has expired now. ;) ;)
I am sure something will come up

Back
Top Bottom