Associate
I am considering an upgrade to my current system:

• Ryzen 5900x
  • Giga X570 GAMING X
  • 2x16GB Team Group Edition DDR4
  • Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
  • Corsair RM1000x 80 Plus Gold
  • Lian Li Lancool One Midi

Aside from the obvious GPU upgrade, I am also thinking about getting a liquid cooled set-up. Current temps and noise levels are higher than I would like - though this could be due to the 3090 FE. Are the 4000 series cooler/quieter?

I am assuming a new motherboard too, but would the CPU, RAM and power unit be sufficient to go alongside an upgraded GPU and mobo?

Purely for gaming.

Associate
OP
5000 series GPU by Nvidia to be released this year, so you should wait if you can .

PSU will be fine and if gaming at 4k CPU will also be fine as gaming at 4k is GPU mainly GPU bound.

Thank you. Happy to wait on the 5000 series - did the 4000 series suffer the same supply issues as the 3000?

When playing cod, my cpu and gpu times are roughly matched. Would this mean the cpu will be throttling performance if I upgrade the gpu? I haven't been gaming at 4k, but I guess the monitor upgrade is on the cards too.

Soldato
Aside from the obvious GPU upgrade, I am also thinking about getting a liquid cooled set-up. Current temps and noise levels are higher than I would like - though this could be due to the 3090 FE. Are the 4000 series cooler/quieter?

I wouldn't bother with a liquid cooled setup, maybe try and optimise your current one for now? Most 3090's are easy to undervolt while retaining or gaining some performance whilst loosing 100w+ of power draw, which will drop the heat output a good chunk.
Also unless you are doing some sort of productivity work I'd look at swapping the 5900X to a 5700X3D or 5800X3D which should cot you very little overall, but again the X3D's can have a very easy to apply negative offset and run in the 70-90w range without issue, and you'll also get a much better 1% low framerate, and that applies should you upgrade to a 40/50 series card

Associate
OP
I wouldn't bother with a liquid cooled setup, maybe try and optimise your current one for now? Most 3090's are easy to undervolt while retaining or gaining some performance whilst loosing 100w+ of power draw, which will drop the heat output a good chunk.
Also unless you are doing some sort of productivity work I'd look at swapping the 5900X to a 5700X3D or 5800X3D which should cot you very little overall, but again the X3D's can have a very easy to apply negative offset and run in the 70-90w range without issue, and you'll also get a much better 1% low framerate, and that applies should you upgrade to a 40/50 series card

I have tried to optimise my air cooling and have played around with undervolting the gpu. It has helped, but it still gets warmer than I would like. I have seen people playing gpu heavy games with temps in the 50s, where as mine are around 80.

Soldato
I have tried to optimise my air cooling and have played around with undervolting the gpu. It has helped, but it still gets warmer than I would like. I have seen people playing gpu heavy games with temps in the 50s, where as mine are around 80.

Have you go the glass sided case? If so and you take it off do your temps drop a lot? Also it is pointless looking at others unless they have an identical setup, you don't know fan speed, air flow, ambient temps, how long it has been running. Also warmer than you would like isn't a great way to measure things, a 3090 gets hot, it is a big, hot, power hungry card, and your case isn't ideal for that.

What temps does your CPU reach under 100% load, without any GPU use, and then what is the ambient in the case?

Caporegime
Tbh with a setup like yours there’s precious little benefit in piecemeal upgrades unless you replace it all. I’d hold with what you have, save your money and go for next gen AM5 and nvidia 5000 series next year.

Ryzen CPU’s hitting mid to high 80’s without dedicated water cooling is normal and doesn’t do the chip any harm.

Associate
OP
Have you go the glass sided case? If so and you take it off do your temps drop a lot? Also it is pointless looking at others unless they have an identical setup, you don't know fan speed, air flow, ambient temps, how long it has been running. Also warmer than you would like isn't a great way to measure things, a 3090 gets hot, it is a big, hot, power hungry card, and your case isn't ideal for that.

What temps does your CPU reach under 100% load, without any GPU use, and then what is the ambient in the case?

I haven't tried removing the glass side, but will test it out this weekend. I don't know much about cases, but it is quite a small case, so I can appreciate it probably isn't ideal for temps.

Associate
OP
Tbh with a setup like yours there’s precious little benefit in piecemeal upgrades unless you replace it all. I’d hold with what you have, save your money and go for next gen AM5 and nvidia 5000 series next year.

Ryzen CPU’s hitting mid to high 80’s without dedicated water cooling is normal and doesn’t do the chip any harm.

This is probably a sensible idea. If I were to go water cooled, I would have to get it built for me anyway, so may as well hold off for the new series and upgrade everything at once.

Associate
OP
What CPU cooler do you have and how many intake fans on the case?

Not used that case, but the front looks a bit restrictive.

I have an Artic Liquid Freezer II, with 3 intake fans on the front, 3 exhaust on the top and 1 exhaust at the rear of the case. Yes, the dust filter and front of the case probably isn't ideal for cooling to be honest.

Soldato
I have an Artic Liquid Freezer II, with 3 intake fans on the front, 3 exhaust on the top and 1 exhaust at the rear of the case. Yes, the dust filter and front of the case probably isn't ideal for cooling to be honest.
Can you run the PC without the front panel? (remember to unplug the RGB cable first before removing the panel)

Associate
Are you able to fit the AIO cooler to the top instead of the 3 fans that are exhausting there? I'd try with the AIO exhausting at the top, and the 3 exhaust fans you have currently up there, I'd move to the front intake. It may cool it in your case a bit as the fans then wont be trying to intake through dust filter, front of case and a radiator.

Associate
This is probably a sensible idea. If I were to go water cooled, I would have to get it built for me anyway, so may as well hold off for the new series and upgrade everything at once.
i built my own WC setup for the first time last year and there is still no leaks ( touch wood :p ) , but its easier than you think , i would say try it save yourself some money and just be careful

Soldato
Are you able to fit the AIO cooler to the top instead of the 3 fans that are exhausting there? I'd try with the AIO exhausting at the top, and the 3 exhaust fans you have currently up there, I'd move to the front intake. It may cool it in your case a bit as the fans then wont be trying to intake through dust filter, front of case and a radiator.
I did assume the radiator is in the top of the case, but if not you are correct.

Back
Top Bottom