German Doner Kebab

Soldato
Right, I bit the bullet and tried one of these last night.

I wanted to try a few stuff, I had a wrap added to the order but that was taking it to almost £50! Ridiculous for what I was considering a quick bite to eat on a Monday night.

I got the following:-

• Doner Quesadilla (661 Kcal per portion)
  • Chicken (183 Kcal per portion)
  • OG Kebab (599 Kcal per portion)
  • Mix - Go Large (+65g) (765 Kcal per portion)
  • Doner Box with Chips & Cheese (584 Kcal per portion)
  • Beef (519 Kcal per portion)
  • Doner Box with Fries (546 Kcal per portion)
  • Mix (488 Kcal per portion)
  • Plain Fries (296 Kcal per portion)
  • Spicy Signature Sauce
  • Flaming Fries (299 Kcal per portion)
I actually thought it was pretty good. The chips were good as well. I’m not sure if I would get it again though with it being a kebab but if I had a few drinks I may become an option.

I had a McDonald’s breakfast about a week ago for the first time in 5+ years and that was a disappointment. So that’s me off fast food for a good few years!

Soldato
The one I visited in Canary Wharf was pretty decent as was one in Maidstone.

I wouldn't go out of my way to eat one and see it as a quick bite that isn't expensive or OTT

Soldato

I wanted to try a few stuff, I had a wrap added to the order but that was taking it to almost £50! Ridiculous for what I was considering a quick bite to eat on a Monday night.

• Spicy Signature Sauce
I actually thought it was pretty good. The chips were good as well. I’m not sure if I would get it again though with it being a kebab but if I had a few drinks I may become an option.

I had a McDonald’s breakfast about a week ago for the first time in 5+ years and that was a disappointment. So that’s me off fast food for a good few years!

"A quick bite" :cry:

Soldato
I thought the chips were nice.

The spicy ones were good, I thought the plain ones where a bit meh to be honest but that’s probably because they where up against the spicy ones.

Don't be so rash, the breakfast wrap is coming back next month. The top tier of McDs breakfast food :D

To be fair, their hash browns are something else. I always get an extra hash brown.

I’ll probably get a wrap to see if they’re as good as i remember.

There’s like 4 or 5 meals in there!

No point half arsing it, wanted to try a few.

Soldato

• Spicy Signature Sauce

Needs more fries tbf.

• Haha
Reactions: jcr
Man of Honour

• Spicy Signature Sauce

It was £50 because you've ordered like 6 or 7 meals :p

Associate
I’ve been living in Berlin for almost 7 years now (German wife so been visiting Germany a lot longer and sampling German kebabs during that time too) so here is my two cents, certainly not gospel but probably an interesting perspective.

- Over here it’s a döner (very different pronunciation)
- The döner was supposedly popularised (reinvented?) by a Turkish immigrant in Berlin in the 70’s. It was certainly based on pre-existing dishes from Turkey and kebabs exist in many countries (my ex was from the Middle East and they gave a multitude of delicious variants too)
- It’s not quite a staple food here but extremely popular, especially in Berlin. The places that serve it can be found even in residential areas in the suburbs/villages etc. It isn’t seen as post pub food and people will often just get one for lunch/dinner (warm lunches being much more popular here, although that tradition with bread and cold meats/cheeses for dinner is being eroded). This probably does raise the quality a bit as more sober judgements are made.
- There are thousands of döner places in Berlin - estimates seem to vary quite a bit but take a walk here in any or of the city and you will come across one pretty quickly; it has a significant proportion of the number of places in Germany relative to its population.
- If you go in a döner place here you will almost certainly be presented with a beautifully presented very fresh fridge full of the salad items that go in it, no limp day stuff. Also if you let a German döner cool overnight you don’t get a visible coating of fat over the meat.
- Chicken is relatively popular here too (but you may have to search it out). It varies a lot more in quality though but can be delicious, with roasted vegetables layered in the meat skewer.
- The bread used is almost like a huge stottie, cut into quarters and then put in a sandwich press so that it flattens and crisps the outside. If you are not eating at the place you are getting a slightly sub par product as you lose a quite important textural quality from it having steamed and just its crispness
- When I was in Newcastle last year I ordered a döner from the GDK company. It was a huge huge disappointment. Even in very mediocre German places you will likely get something pretty tasty but this has barely any salad in it and it just looked sloppy. Unfortunately, with the lack of packing it with salad, the balance was also off. I cannot remember exact details about the actual meat but I think it was okay but certainly not great. It might have been a badly run franchise but the customer the whole point of a franchise place is the consistency and the customer knowing that they are getting the same product anywhere.
- IMHO I would rather find a decent Turkish/Middle Eastern place and have their version of a kebab than order from there again, which is a shame.

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom