Glastonbury - Wellington boots advice.

Soldato
The photo was taken at WOMAD 2007 (WOMUD as it became known), it was worse than any wet Glasto I've ever been to and I first started going there in 1989

Picture of my friends in 2007. Shows how deep it can get.

Like I said, drainage is better now, so I'd be surprised if it ever got that bad again.

Bonus image of random people:

Clearly neither of you went in 2005!!

I saw a guy paddling a kayak between the tents at one point (I didn't think to ask why he'd decided to bring a kayak, but I guess it paid off for him :p)

Caporegime
People that bring Wellies as a fashion accessory and wear them everyday are idiots though.

Walking and standing in wellies all day isn't that fun as they are sweaty and generally not all that comfortable compared with a good trainer or walking boot.

Caporegime
Clearly neither of you went in 2005!!

I saw a guy paddling a kayak between the tents at one point (I didn't think to ask why he'd decided to bring a kayak, but I guess it paid off for him :p)

I was there in 2005. The one year I didn't take wellies.....Ever since they are a must-pack item even if the forecast is 30°C sun all weekend.

To be honest anyone who pitches their tent on a flat bit of ground at the bottom of a hill is asking for trouble. I always pitch my tent on an incline.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was there in 2005. The one year I didn't take wellies.....Ever since they are a must-pack item even if the forecast is 30°C sun all weekend.

To be honest anyone who pitches their tend on a flat bit of ground at the bottom of a hill is asking for trouble. I always pitch my tent on an incline.

Yeah, we were up at the top of a hill, fantastic views of the storm (can't beat sipping red wine at 6am while watching huge forks of lighting all over the place). Was an interesting walk later that morning along the railway embankment and seeing all the tents in the field lake next to it!

Associate
I bought some Aigle wellington's which have a slightly thicker lining and are designed for walking not for fashion like Hunter. They are extremely comfortable to wear all day long.

Caporegime
Like everyone else has said, get a half decent pair of combat boots. Cheap and a lot more pleasant to wear than wellies.

Agreed, I do a bit of rough shooting in winter, tried wellies but found them very uncomfortable after a few hours. Much rather wear a pair of high leg style combat boots.

Soldato
For comfortable durable wellies, look at Dunlop Puroforts

It's what we wear here on the Farm, and we've been through some boots in our time!

Muckboots are overpriced, heavy, far too warm, and the neoprene eventually wears through in the heel.

Hunters are overpriced **** !!

Soldato
Unless you're having to wade through knee deep mud work boots, walking boots, etc are far more comfortable to wear for any length of time and offer more protection to the foot.

Wellies keep your feet dry but they offer about as much protection as a chocolate teapot unless they're farmers type gumboots with steel toecaps.

Soldato
As said Aigles if you're serious about wellies. They are pretty comfortable if you get the neoprene lined ones. They felt like they had more support than the chameau ones I tried.

Back
Top Bottom