Golf Thread

Associate
hybrid is so much easier to hit... Stick with it.
Stuck with it for a couple of years and there's been very little improvement with it. Hardly any confidence standing over it, as well.

Friend of mine helps run the Fife Golf Trust so he's in charge of the pro shops for 4 of the courses so I'm tempted to see if he's got any second-hand utilities that are an inch longer that I can try out. He's great because he'll let you take it out for a round before you buy.

Associate
Did a bad thing...

Tried my brothers LTDx irons a few weeks back and fell in love with them a bit. Went into AG on the weekend to try out a few shafts as they've got them in their sale, £499 5-AW.

Complete Golfer had them for £331 with 5% discount, KBS Tour 90 regular, 5-PW. Couldn't say no at that price even if I do loose a club.

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't play the normal game today as it was only one other who is the guy that constantly annoys the hell out of me so gave that a miss. Instead after a nice lie in I check the tee sheet for my local and it's rammed but there was someone I know playing just after 2pm so turned up and it ended up being an ad-hoc/fun 2v2 'match' which was great fun, only 9 holes but in this heat not sure I'd want to walk 18 anyway so all goods.

We won fairly easily, 3&1, I managed 4 gross pars in 9 holes, including the tough par 5 9th, happy with that. There were some bad holes but my teammate did good on those so no worries. :)

Soldato
12 holes this morning with a mate - left driver in the car and just hit 3 woods off the tee to work on my issues with fairway woods (topping a lot of them recently)

Played decent, putting well, looking for a new shaft for 3 wood as it's very "soft" for me - need something more stout.

Associate
Driver has been put away for me too, there's just no need for it at the moment. Ball is going far enough and I'm usually around a wedge into any greens with a 3W off the tee.
Usual distance is about 230-235 off the tee, leaving around a 130y shot in max (unless its a par5), then its 3w, 3w and chip.

Seems to be helping me keep the bigger numbers off the scorecard.

Soldato
Today was the Captains Charity day where we got the chance to play the course 'backwards', so 1st tee for example instead of heading North East down the 530 yard par 5 it was South East, 150 yard par 3 to the 9th green crossing over the start of the 4th hole and lots of trees/rough...

Was good fun and really weird to judge where was a good place to aim for, even though I've played the course many times the right way around you just don't think of these lines so yeah, enjoyed it :)

It was like that for the whole day too, not just the comp, was half tempted to go out for another 9 solo but got the society game tomorrow so thought better of it :p

Soldato
Got a comp tomorrow, had a round today to practice with friends and I thought it was gona be hell when I carded a 7 and 8 to start.... Managed to stay 15 over by the end once I'd dusted off the cobwebs. Hopefully I can start better when it counts.

Soldato
Lowest scratch round I think ever for me off the back tees yesterday... 75, 4 over, (net 67) in Club Championship qualifying rd 2.

Off to a hot start - birdie birdie start... .silly double on 6 from the middle of the fairway. Pretty steady after that.

Missed a 5ft birdie putt on 15th, but then two excellent hybrids to about 8ft on 16 for birdie.

Admit to getting a little nervous on 17th tee - picked wrong club, dumped in front bunker, full fried egg and didn't get it out 1st time - silly double.

Then 18th was so funny.... Classic one shot at a time. Playing full 531 yards.... but you need to lay up at around 240 from the tee with bunkers etc in play. I top my 7 wood 80 yards off the tee!!

but then proceed to hit 7 wood again over bunkers, and one of the best hybrids of my life from 230/235 which runs up to 8ft and holed the putt for birdie - playing partner was laughing so hard as it was the most ridiculous birdie he's ever seen after the 80 yard tee shot...

Cut 0.7 this morning - down to 5.8.

Hybrid (mizuno stz) was insanely good yesterday - point and shoot from 200-220... so high, so soft landing.

Associate
First time in a long time I've had to walk off after 9. Easily the worst golf I have ever played. Hit one, maybe two shots I was happy with.

Couple that with the slowest group known to man with an overdramatic ******* with them. Nearly took my head off with one of his tee shots - he shouted fore, I duck, fair enough, it happens, no hard feelings. Next hole par 3, the green and following tee box are in line with each other so if you're off-line slightly and thin it, you'll get the tee box. Mate thinned his shot about 30 yards over them just as they were approaching the tee box. He shouted fore and two of them duck out the way, third guy starts hurling abuse at my mate and throwing his arms about like an ape from about 180 yards away. The following two holes run parallel and we were up the right side of our fairway and the big man was awful quiet when we got near him. Knob.

Trying to not let the round ruin my day but it's done a pretty good job...

Associate
Not been having much joy with my 52 degree ping glide 2.0 wedge in the off-season so I nabbed an eBay bargain.

I call it the Frankenwedge it's a 50deg ping glide 3.0 and the shaft length is about the same as my 8 iron, and it came with a jumbo tour velvet grip.

It's an absolute weapon, loving it so far. Out yesterday had some approach shots at 79, 92, 115 and 96 yards and put them all within expected birdie range, plus a nice up and down as well greenside.

Just need to sink those putts now :cry:

Soldato
Well today was a shock to the system.... Had ample confidence that the golfing gods decided I needed to be kept in check. Two days of 24c blasting sun might have been a bit much but I can't blame nice weather for being ****.

Couldn't find any consistency, either 270 stripped down the middle and a lovely chip on, or a fade into the rough followed by a duff and missed putts.

29pts and an abysmal round.

Soldato
what were your previous irons? I find with the forged there is a big drop off, but it doesn't bother me as much as I would rather control over a few yards..or whatever it is...
Taylormade m2s cavity back.

Man golf is so frustrating played well last couple of months put the new clubs in last week and played really good and also really Good Friday then today old habits crept back in and sometimes I just look down at the ball and don’t feel I’m going to make contact with it.

I set off well and about 7 holes in just lost my swing. I feel like I just lose sense of where the face is, not sure if it’s my right hand grip or I stop rotating but it’s frustrating when it creeps in and usually leads to heel or shaft strikes and then I end up just trying to toe my way around to stop it happening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out for the society round today, glorious sunshine again and with the ball rolling a bunch more it almost feels like a different game, over winter I was basically driver and then hybrid or longer into even a par 4, now I'm actually driver then iron on most holes again. Hit some great shots but too many awful holes lead to 32 points, first round of the year with anything less than 38 points, I'll still be leading though :p Best on the day was 39.

Best shot was probably a par 3, picked 7 iron but instead of an 'ok' strike I actually found the centre of the club face, I'd almost forgotten what that felt like, of course I then airmailed the green but hey, it was a great shot :cry:

Taylormade m2s cavity back.

Man golf is so frustrating played well last couple of months put the new clubs in last week and played really good and also really Good Friday then today old habits crept back in and sometimes I just look down at the ball and don’t feel I’m going to make contact with it.

I set off well and about 7 holes in just lost my swing. I feel like I just lose sense of where the face is, not sure if it’s my right hand grip or I stop rotating but it’s frustrating when it creeps in and usually leads to heel or shaft strikes and then I end up just trying to toe my way around to stop it happening.

7th hole is a bit early I'd guess but are you drinking/eating enough? Especially drinking, and especially in this heat, once I start getting a bit dehydrated my game falls apart so badly... Today I drank ~2 litres out on course.

Associate
Very nice @booyaka, can't imagine having four birdies in a round :p

Captains day today, stroke play off the whites again. Couldn't replicate last week's heroics (102 gross which will be reduced to 100) but still pretty happy. Just undone by a bit of bad luck which lead to a couple of blow up holes. Playing partners were a pleasure.

Started nicely with a lovely confidence inspiring 6i off the 1st tee which I flushed. Laid up as usual, wedge on, a good two putt for bogey to start. Par 3 fourth, 6i normally gets me a chance of making the green. Warm weather must have really helped as didn't think it was a great strike but ended up on fringe back left. Three putted which was a shame as first putt was a good one but pushed my second. Then my first blow up hole, 600y par 5 fith. Leaked my tee shot into the right rough, then my 7i out got a flyer and with considerable run out on the fairway end up in the water left about 170y up! That ultimately cost me 2/3 shots and I made a nine. A careless tee shot on 7 (straight into the water down the right side of the fairway) cost another shot and I was out in 50.

My big score of the round came at the 11th. Tee shot was leaked right again, I lost the ball mid flight but one of my playing partners saw it land in the rough. No biggie I thought, only we get there and can't find my ball. Had to run back to the tee to play another. Not my greatest tee shot but in the fairway. Unfortunately I managed to pull my 7i hard left into the trees/shrubs down the left. Got a break as it bounced off a branch and we found it but had next to no room to make a swing. Should have taken a drop but ended up taking two to get out. Walked off with a ten :eek: Holes a sub 400y par 4 yet frequently seems to play much harder than it looks.

Highlight of the round was a lovely up and down from the bunker on the short par 3 fithteenth and another par on seventeen thanks to an excellent two putt. 37 putts total which is okish for me. Back in 52.

My playing partners were both off nine and one shot a very good 79 gross :). Net 66 (off 16) won the day.

Last edited:
Associate
Terrible round on Saturday. I'm a (fairly) newish golfer with a 40 hcp and whilst I had some amazing shots, sadly inconsistency got the best of me this weekend. Think i'll play a couple of evenings this week and work on pitching & driving (main weakpoints of my game)

Back
Top Bottom