Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
yep id like to keep it but it pees off the likes of Avalon that im still using it in 2024 :(

IIRC it was around 2010 or so that I got my first..? Can you imagine if the rest of technology / hardware could have a similar longevity..?! Context etc I understand, but they just keep ticking the boxes of being small and cheap to run large capacity storage options. I have a refurbished 14TB on the way that will replace the last of my 6tb drives. Up to recently fitting a refurb 16TB drive, I could not remember when I last physically saw it, being used remotely in the loft.

Save your money and keep enjoying it.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
Yep, if i could get a single 2.5inch ssd thats 32tb in size for not a silly high price then id go the route of using one of those micro office pcs like a hp elitedesk mini or dell micro.

Soldato
That's why I keep buying refurb drives that need to be shucked or, for the first time, this 14TB renewed (refurb) driver for less than £110. So far it has worked out well for me and refurb / shucked drives.

Soldato
yep id like to keep it but it pees off the likes of Avalon that im still using it in 2024 :(
Really? News to me. I have four of them sat next to my rack, I am just realistic about them having no compute. Throw a uSFF in front of one for compute and that works, try running a *arr stack and SAB and you’ll regret it unless you’re on a horribly slow connection and never scan your media library.

Soldato
Yea i get you but thats not my usecase. I dont need the gen7 for compute just nas and torrent use.
I dont get why you say media Library scan is slow, i use nvidia shield tv and kodi which does keep library with scrape info on movies etc and i get no performance issues with it and n40l, how can it be an issue when all the processing is done client side on the shield tv?

Soldato
Are shucked drives reliable?

I have only had good experience of them, but some avoid them altogether, especially the refurbished shucked type. Their can be risks, depending on your type of use. Typically I get a twelve months warranty. The drive I have coming, paid less than a fiver for three years accidental damage. If it works, great. If not it will get refunded etc and I always have backups.
you have to decide, is it worth it to you and your needs.

Soldato
My refurb arrived

Drive.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like you just powered it on and already its seek error rate is going up?

Someone else posted their screenshot of CD, like mine. Theirs also shows the same thing, exactly. I'm not sure, the numbers don't change, if that has anything to do with values being resent and it being refurbished etc...?

Not sure how to take that information, thanks for noting it tho....?

Using AIDA64....

seek.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I have replaced my old N54L HP server with a Synology NAS. Is it worth selling it or is it scrap now? It must be a good 10 years old.

Last edited:

lcg

lcg

Associate
I have replaced my old N54L HP server with a Synology NAS. Is it worth selling it or is it scrap now? It must be a good 10 years old.
It's worth selling. They go a reasonable amount considering the low cost of them when they were new.

I have an N54L which I use to store data that's infrequently accessed. It's not often powered on.

Back
Top Bottom