Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Depends where that datas going, the card might max out the cable, but wheres the data going or coming from?
HDD, SSD?

Havent gone down the 2.5g route yet but the TEG-10GECTX looks interesting..

Soldato
Mechanical drives can get 250 meg speed on outer edge of platter these days. Will need to get a cheapo 2.5g switch and card to do some testing if cheapo ones are even available
Cheap 10Gb SFP+/2.5Gbe switches have been a thing for quite a while now, STH has been reviewing them since at least last year, and it's not like the i225 rev c. isn't cheap, especially with i226 taking over. Could you upgrade one to 2.5Gb? Yes. Should you? Only you know your usage case and it's already pretty niche if you're still running one, so you'd have to tell us if it's a good idea.

Soldato
Surprised people don't still use the gen7. Its small and holds plenty of drives, ideal for nas and backups
I answered that for you years ago and every year that goes by, the unavoidable truth gets more obvious. Your smart phone likely has more computational power than a Neo II and actually running the kinds of workload for your average home server of HA/media and associated services just doesn’t fit the G7/8 at this stage. Can you still use them for pure storage as I suggested last time? Yes. Does it make a lot of sense when you can buy something inexpensive that will do storage and run your full range of services better and idle at the same level? Probably not.

Soldato
I answered that for you years ago and every year that goes by, the unavoidable truth gets more obvious. Your smart phone likely has more computational power than a Neo II and actually running the kinds of workload for your average home server of HA/media and associated services just doesn’t fit the G7/8 at this stage. Can you still use them for pure storage as I suggested last time? Yes. Does it make a lot of sense when you can buy something inexpensive that will do storage and run your full range of services better and idle at the same level? Probably not.
whats the replacement people use these days that fits in the same footprint as a gen7 and holds same number of drives etc?
only thing i wish the gen7 had was usb 3.

Soldato
budget same as i spend on the n40l so thats £100 brand new many years ago. guessing its gonna be something like an intel atom or is it n100 thats doing the rounds these days?
That was 2011/12, it’s 2024…. you need to understand how inflation works (I explained that in your broadband price rise thread about 2 years back).

Soldato
That was 2011/12, it’s 2024…. you need to understand how inflation works (I explained that in your broadband price rise thread about 2 years back).
You need to understand how being broke works :(
I dont mind going 2nd hand

N100 seems to be in it to win it but dont know if they make itx mobo for it or maybe even a soc board that drops inside the gen7 case?

Soldato
You need to understand how being broke works :(
I dont mind going 2nd hand

N100 seems to be in it to win it but dont know if they make itx mobo for it or maybe even a soc board that drops inside the gen7 case?
That's the thing, usually these low power chips come as complete products e.g. mini PCs. Even a USB3 caddy for 4 hard drives would probably be over £100 :(

Soldato
what will the new pc offer me over the n40l i have at the moment which just holds 5 3.5 inch drives and shares them across the lan for android tv boxes and other computers to access for movie playback? drives spindown when not accessed for half hour to save on power and noise.

Soldato
what will the new pc offer me over the n40l i have at the moment which just holds 5 3.5 inch drives and shares them across the lan for android tv boxes and other computers to access for movie playback? drives spindown when not accessed for half hour to save on power and noise.
Allow me to turn your question inside out: What is your N40L not doing for you that you need?

Soldato
does everything i need at the moment, nas shares and torrenting. dont get why people say i should scrap it and get something newer if its doing its job fine for now?

Again I'll wave in support of the NLxx systems. Cheap as chips and can be just as relevant today as when they were released, when I got mine. It's still fine for my home network, and media and backup needs. 16TB drive(s) etc and all is well.
See no reason at all, for me, to change that.

If it works for you and your needs, then keep it :)

Back
Top Bottom