Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I'm using a plastic mount I had lying around, think it came with my Antec 900.
Those metal mounts should work anyway, you need to use some of the screws that came with the microserver (there are some screwed into the back of the door). The screw heads should slide into the slots on the 5.25" bay and can be quick released.

:D Your a legend! Didn't realise those 4 screws you've just saved me monies from forking out on a new converter. (pint)!

@pejay, this works with these brackets, there are 4 screws at the back of the door, just screw them to the small hole on the brackets not fully in though, then slide that baby into the bay!

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone got SABnzbd up and running within FreeNAS? Just looking for a guide on how to download and install via FreeNAS. Having no previous Linux experience I don't know how/where you are meant to download the file, untar it and run all commands.

edit:

Found a guide but I'm stumped before you even get to step 1. Where is Packages? Has it moved in the latest FreeNAS?

http://freenas.org/documentation:howto:installing_sabnzbd

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone got SABnzbd up and running within FreeNAS? Just looking for a guide on how to download and install via FreeNAS. Having no previous Linux experience I don't know how/where you are meant to download the file, untar it and run all commands.

edit:

Found a guide but I'm stumped before you even get to step 1. Where is Packages? Has it moved in the latest FreeNAS?

http://freenas.org/documentation:howto:installing_sabnzbd

Maybe try this: Not sure if you are running this version of freenas.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freenas/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8516

Soldato
Sorted! Got full install now as I was on embedded.

For installing packages from the FreeBSD FTP, I can't seem to find any of the ones that are posted around forums or using pkg_add –r sabnzbdplus etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i've shot myself in the foot.

Created a raid5 array in freenas (3x2tb), copied across about 150gb of stuff, added another disk in the server today and it turns out you can't expand it.

Looking at moving everything off, rebuilding with ZFS and starting again!

You can't grow RAIDZ's either, but if you already have four disks there isn't much need to. I don't even think you can upgrade the disks in a RAIDZ to larger capacity ones via the replacing method.

What you can do is add multiple RAIDZ's into a single storage pool. (in fact you can have whatever you like in a storage pool, mix and match with mirrors, RAIDZ, single drives, whatever (though it's only as strong as the weakest link, so I wouldn't recommend adding single drives)) ZFS will allocate the workload out intelligently and large files will be spread over all the vdevs in a pool for great transfer speeds.

I'm probably going to stick with RAIDZ over 4 disks on the microserver, but when I eventually build a big NAS I'll be basing it on a pool made from mirrored pairs of disks. That way I can expand my pool by adding two drives at a time, and pairs can be easily replaced with higher capacity pairs by the swapping out - rebuild method.

Associate
Has anyone found a set of Raid drivers that definitely work for Windows XP Pro SP3??

I've got the O/S drive connected to the onboard SATA connector, mounted in the 5.25" bay, and two 2tb drives in the rack set to Raid1. Everything boots but I can't find a set of drivers that XP likes to get it to see the RAID array.

Any help would be appreciated as Windows currently reports the drivers I've used as useless.

Ta!

Soldato
w00t mine just arrived, ordered on Friday was being cheap with delivery so paid £3 for 3 working day delivery instead of £10 for next day.

Just arrived, glad I paid for the cheap delivery :)

Now to download Ubuntu and have a play with it and send the form off, anyone had any luck doing it via email?

Kimbie

Soldato
w00t mine just arrived, ordered on Friday was being cheap with delivery so paid £3 for 3 working day delivery instead of £10 for next day.

Just arrived, glad I paid for the cheap delivery :)

Now to download Ubuntu and have a play with it and send the form off, anyone had any luck doing it via email?

Kimbie

They do respond to your emails, So send it in and see - Got nothing to lose!

Associate
So I had WHS on mine installed, which was fantastic, but I felt adventurous and installed Amahi on it! After using WHS I disliked Amahi, sure it's fast as hell but setting it all up requires patience, it runs great though but just not for me as of yet! Had no issues adding HDDs to it but just generally disliked greyhole and how to mount each drive and files etc! Back to WHS for me now that I have slipstreamed the drivers into it. Amahi I will take a look at you again within the next couple of years!

k3v

k3v

Associate
Ive just put amahi on mine to have a play with. Got it up and running no problem last night but i havent had chance to do anything with i yet.

Soldato
Is there any way I can improve the performance of my raid in 2008? I've got 2x 2TB WD Greens and when I'm copying from one folder to another folder in the drive it is only going at 8.41 MB/sec

Didn't think it would be so slow.

Soldato
Does anyone anyone know if 2Gb 2Rx8 PC3-10600R-9-10-B0 memory is any good? We have a bunch of 2Gb sticks left over from our blade upgrades.

The one that comes with the server is 1Gb 1Rx8 PC3-10600E-9-10-D0, I know I could just try it but bit limited for time at the moment at work :(

Kimbie

Associate
Does anyone anyone know if 2Gb 2Rx8 PC3-10600R-9-10-B0 memory is any good? We have a bunch of 2Gb sticks left over from our blade upgrades.

The one that comes with the server is 1Gb 1Rx8 PC3-10600E-9-10-D0, I know I could just try it but bit limited for time at the moment at work :(

Kimbie
Should be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom