Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Would you need to install a server OS on this or would it be ok to install Windows 7? I would like one to use as a generic file server for the time being but then maybe later add home automation software etc.

Associate
Can you guys help with a memory issue Im having with this server?

When I install new ram, there is no POST or anything, no warning beeps either, just a black screen. Take the ram out and use the standard 1GB module, its all fine again.

According to the specs, this is the Ram type required by the server -

1GB (1x1GB) Standard/8GB Maximum, using PC3-10600E DDR3 Unbuffered (UDIMM) ECC memory, operating at max. 800MHz

I am installing HP 2GB 2RX8 PC3-10600R, as below -

GENERAL INFORMATION:
MANUFACTURER: HP/COMPAQ
MANUFACTURER PART NUMBER: 500202-061
PRODUCT NAME: 2GB DDR3 SDRAM MEMORY MODULE
TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
STORAGE CAPACITY: 2GB
MEMORY TECHNOLOGY: DDR3 SDRAM
NUMBER OF MODULES: 1 X 2GB
BUS SPEED: 1333MHZ DDR3-1333/PC3-10600
DATA INTEGRITY CHECK: ECC
SIGNAL PROCESSING: DUAL RANK REGISTERED
CAS LATENCY TIMINGS: CL9
PLATFORM SUPPORT: PROLIANT SERVER

Should this Ram work with the Microserver?

Soldato
What OS are you guys going to use?

The machine will act as a media server (storing video/music to be accessed by a boxee boxe or the like) and to house backups.

Really not sure what to go for!

Associate
What OS are you guys going to use?

The machine will act as a media server (storing video/music to be accessed by a boxee boxe or the like) and to house backups.

Really not sure what to go for!

Considering WHS (Windows Home Server), tried it out on a VM and worked pretty well!

Soldato
Hmm...I was considering WHS however I want to try installing 5 2TB drives and raiding them (raid 0). I'm not *that* bothered about redundancy.

I will be backing up to this server, however I will also have other copies of vital docs/pics just in case.

I'm leaning toward FreeNAS at the moment. Presuming something like a Boxee Box will pick it up fine (and DLNA TVs). I'd also like to schedule a backup using the Windows 7 backup feature, which I'm presuming will pick-up the server just fine.

Soldato
got my server today, installed ubuntu to boot from an internal 8gb memory stick, boots very fast.

only issue is it took me ages to work out I had to launch the gui using gksudo nautilus to let me do anything with a new volume...

it did try formatting to ntfs but the share function crashed so I moved to nfs4 (the had to work out the gksudo nautilus bit)..

Associate
How well does this work with Ubuntu 10.10 out of the box?

Is it difficult to set up file sharing and shares that can be accessed by Windows and OSX?

How easy/difficult is it to install Ubuntu 10.10 to a memory stick, like the poster above (edscdk) and use on this 'microserver'?

Thanks.

Edward

Soldato
How well does this work with Ubuntu 10.10 out of the box?

Is it difficult to set up file sharing and shares that can be accessed by Windows and OSX?

How easy/difficult is it to install Ubuntu 10.10 to a memory stick, like the poster above (edscdk) and use on this 'microserver'?

Thanks.

Edward

i downloaded http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

selected the latest amd64, downloaded it, pointed the drive creator at the downloaded ISO, then made sure I selected the persistent install type (so it remembers your settings) - I set the casper-rw partition to 2gb on the memory stick

boots fine, however on a warm reboot it hangs at the point it would boot, and I have to power cycle the machine, im not too bothered as once configured I'll only shut it down and never really need to reboot...

as soon as you share a folder it will install the correct components

another annoying bit is I have to run "gksudo nautilus" to share the folders but that stops network access, if i start nautilus normally I cannot see the fact the folders are shared... I guess its the linux security its not really an issue as long as you get whats its doing and don't go mad trying to work out
1) why all of a sudden you have no network access via the gui when you run gksudo nautilus (fixed by closing the gksudo window)
2) why you have no access to the new volume you create on your HD and format it to ext4 (fixed by running "gksudo nautilus")

formatting the new volumes to NTFS seems to crash the utility that creates tyhe shares (not tried to work out why)

Soldato
Mine has arrived and is sat on the desk next to me, haven't even had a chance to power it on yet but I'm already impressed! I've been considering building my own home server for ages but would never have got close to something this well put together for such a tiny outlay. Just need to pick up some cheap(ish) big disks and pick an OS now still think it's going to be WHS but we will see!

Associate
Bah, had my box three days now but I can't use it as I want to put ESXi on it. Shame my 4GB sticks are still out there in delivery land.
Anyone know a way around the 2GB RAM check ESXi has when installing? :)

Back
Top Bottom