Got DT770 pro's with a G6, anything worth upgrading too?

Soldato
Hey,

Got a bit of a upgrade itch.
Already looked around my PC and nothing really grabs my attention so started looking elsewhere.
I have DT770 pro 250's currently with a G6 amp, great headset but even in its smallest setting it's still slightly too big for my head.

I mainly play apex legends with a bit of warzone and some story games from time to time, so I'm wondering if any other headset is worth replacing them with, with gaming in mind

Thanks

Associate
Hey,

Already looked around my PC and nothing really grabs my attention so started looking elsewhere.
I have DT770 pro 250's currently with a G6 amp, great headset but even in its smallest setting it's still slightly too big for my head.

I mainly play apex legends with a bit of warzone and some story games from time to time, so I'm wondering if any other headset is worth replacing them with, with gaming in mind

Thanks
You’re asking a very open ended question to a very niche answer.

It’s up to you. I could make suggestions that cost £5000 because your haven’t given us a budget or what you like or need.

Do you want ANC?

Soldato
OP
You’re asking a very open ended question to a very niche answer.

It’s up to you. I could make suggestions that cost £5000 because your haven’t given us a budget or what you like or need.

Do you want ANC?
My bad,

Ok so I don't need a mic as have a elgato wave 3
Budget probably up to £200?
What is ANC?
Currently use closed back but open to try open back too

Associate
My bad,

Ok so I don't need a mic as have a elgato wave 3
Budget probably up to £200?
What is ANC?
Currently use closed back but open to try open back too
ANC is anti noise cancelling.

I typically go to Whathifi.com, read reviews and see which audio products sound like they would work for me.

I recently upgraded from a Momentum 2.0 over ear headphone to a Sony XM5. I prefer the Momentum audio profile, it's easier to listen to for extended periods and I prefer the sound stage and the warmth and musicality that it adds to the music. The XM5 is technically superior and I do like it, I just find that it can be less comfortable for extended periods.

I therefor use my Sony's in the office/commute and game with my Momentums since I have an Ifi Zen 2 DAC connected to my PC. I play PUBG with the latter combo and it's amazing - I can hear very distant sounds that other teammates miss (a car drives by at distance).

If I had £200 to spend on a new headset, I would probably get the Grado SR325x

Reading a review of your DAC, I can't say I'd like the sound it produces given the comment of "It’s not entirely warm sounding, but it’s also not too cold and sterile like you’d get with something like a Magni 3".

I have read the review of your DT770 headphones here and I think that you might see an improvement for a better DAC rather than a new set of headphones. I can see that they aren't the perfect set of headphones. I'd try a better DAC first before just buying a new pair of headphones - do you know someone with a very good DAC to lend you for a days gaming?

I can't really say definitely upgrade to the DT 990 PRO as the comment of "The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO are slightly better critical listening headphones than the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO thanks to their open-back design. Both headphones are similarly built and are comfortable. They are practically the same headphones, but the 990 are open and the 770 are closed-backs."

Why would you buy, essentially, the same set of headphones?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ANC is anti noise cancelling.

I typically go to Whathifi.com, read reviews and see which audio products sound like they would work for me.

I recently upgraded from a Momentum 2.0 over ear headphone to a Sony XM5. I prefer the Momentum audio profile, it's easier to listen to for extended periods and I prefer the sound stage and the warmth and musicality that it adds to the music. The XM5 is technically superior and I do like it, I just find that it can be less comfortable for extended periods.

I therefor use my Sony's in the office/commute and game with my Momentums since I have an Ifi Zen 2 DAC connected to my PC. I play PUBG with the latter combo and it's amazing - I can hear very distant sounds that other teammates miss (a car drives by at distance).

If I had £200 to spend on a new headset, I would probably get the Grado SR325x

Reading a review of your DAC, I can't say I'd like the sound it produces given the comment of "It’s not entirely warm sounding, but it’s also not too cold and sterile like you’d get with something like a Magni 3".

I have read the review of your DT770 headphones here and I think that you might see an improvement for a better DAC rather than a new set of headphones. I can see that they aren't the perfect set of headphones. I'd try a better DAC first before just buying a new pair of headphones - do you know someone with a very good DAC to lend you for a days gaming?

I can't really say definitely upgrade to the DT 990 PRO as the comment of "The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO are slightly better critical listening headphones than the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO thanks to their open-back design. Both headphones are similarly built and are comfortable. They are practically the same headphones, but the 990 are open and the 770 are closed-backs."

Why would you buy, essentially, the same set of headphones?
Thank you, I don't know of anyone unfortunately.

I also use my creative G6 in scout mode to highlight the small details like footsteps, reloads etc

I seen the dt990 pro x, but again I'm not sure if it's a entirely new headphone or if it's just open back version of my current DT770 pro's

I don't use them for watching movies or music, strictly gaming.
My DT770 pro's are my first high end headphone also, I had Logitech G Pro X before hand, and the uplift in sound quality was second to none, also used the creative G6 with the G Pro X also

Soldato
Hey,

Thanks
Philips Fidelio X2HR (which go on sales on the rainforest at below £100 from time to time) and grab a V-Moda Boompro Microphone to use with it is always an option. I have that for my setup but with the X1 instead of the X2HR.

With that said I'm also happy with my Steelseries Arctic 9 (specifically for gaming) with its Dolby X Headphone support, and being a Wireless headset is very flexible and comfortable to use particularly I won't need to put my headphone on and off every time I leave my sit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Philips Fidelio X2HR (which go on sales on the rainforest at below £100 from time to time) and grab a V-Moda Boompro Microphone to use with it is always an option. I have that for my setup but with the X1 instead of the X2HR.

With that said I'm also happy with my Steelseries Arctic 9 (specifically for gaming) with its Dolby X Headphone support, and being a Wireless headset is very flexible and comfortable to use particularly I won't need to put my headphone on and off every time I leave my sit.
I'll check them out thank you.

Saying that, I'm sure my G6 supports Dolby also, would you recommend the steelseries over the Philips?
I've seen steelseries have a new range out called Nova, any experience with those?

Soldato
I'll check them out thank you.

Saying that, I'm sure my G6 supports Dolby also, would you recommend the steelseries over the Philips?
I've seen steelseries have a new range out called Nova, any experience with those?
Unfortunately no. The Nova is higher price than the Arctic 9, so by logic it should definitely sound better.

With that said, you got 30 days to return it to rainforest if you are not happy with it, so you could consider testing it out for yourself (but would recommend checking out some YouTube reviews first).

The important thing you'd have to remember is you are using it for gaming, so focus on analysing if you are happy with the features and usage scenarios it offers as a whole package in the gaming environment, instead of getting into the usual habit of analysing it for for music performance like an audiophile.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately no. The Nova is higher price than the Arctic 9, so by logic it should definitely sound better.

With that said, you got 30 days to return it to rainforest if you are not happy with it, so you could consider testing it out for yourself (but would recommend checking out some YouTube reviews first).

The important thing you'd have to remember is you are using it for gaming, so focus on analysing if you are happy with the features and usage scenarios it offers as a whole package in the gaming environment, instead of getting into the usual habit of analysing it for for music performance like an audiophile.
Great stuff, cheers
I don't want to give my G6 up really, so many choices its very difficult to decide on what to order.

Yeh I agree, it's strictly for gaming so have no interest in the quality for music and movies etc

Associate
Get yourself a pair of Sennheisher 560s from their outlet store, an absolute baragin. Your G6 is fine, I use it myself but if was to upgrade I'd get an IFI Zen Dac

Soldato
I think the DT 770/990 for the money are very hard to beat - and you are not going to do that for £200 at all. I started off with some DT990's about 10 years ago, have since gone around the houses and spent £1k+ on different options and I have basically returned to the Beyerdynamics. I've still got some Audeze LCD2's which whilst better - are heavier and not as good for long sessions.
I think what you have is as good as you will get for under £500 outlay specifically for Gaming and positional audio + the fun factor that comes with the warm lows on the DT770's.
Save your money man :)

Soldato
OP
I think the DT 770/990 for the money are very hard to beat - and you are not going to do that for £200 at all. I started off with some DT990's about 10 years ago, have since gone around the houses and spent £1k+ on different options and I have basically returned to the Beyerdynamics. I've still got some Audeze LCD2's which whilst better - are heavier and not as good for long sessions.
I think what you have is as good as you will get for under £500 outlay specifically for Gaming and positional audio + the fun factor that comes with the warm lows on the DT770's.
Save your money man :)
Well my current DT770s are getting on abit now, they don't clamp my head as tight as they used too, and the headband is literally falling apart, so thought I'd try something else while I was at it.

I've never tried a open back, I play apex legends a lot, I won't say I take it seriously but I do play to win so pin point accuracy and the little details are important to me.

Just so many headsets/headphones on the market nowadays.
It'd also hard to take 'gaming' headset reviews into consideration as I use a G6 anyway so again finding a replacement with my G6 in mind.

The EPOS is on the rainforest for around £100 either closer or open, OR just get a set of DT990 pros... Decisions decisions

Soldato
Maybe check out the HifiMan 400SE? They're about £130 on Amazon at the moment and are entry level planar magnetic headphones. I have no experience with them but could be worth a punt based on reviews I've seen.

Soldato
OP
Maybe check out the HifiMan 400SE? They're about £130 on Amazon at the moment and are entry level planar magnetic headphones. I have no experience with them but could be worth a punt based on reviews I've seen.
I've found them, nice one, I'll check some reviews out on them

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming planar magnetic provides just all round better sound quality?

Soldato
Well my current DT770s are getting on abit now, they don't clamp my head as tight as they used too, and the headband is literally falling apart, so thought I'd try something else while I was at it.

I've never tried a open back, I play apex legends a lot, I won't say I take it seriously but I do play to win so pin point accuracy and the little details are important to me.

Just so many headsets/headphones on the market nowadays.
It'd also hard to take 'gaming' headset reviews into consideration as I use a G6 anyway so again finding a replacement with my G6 in mind.

The EPOS is on the rainforest for around £100 either closer or open, OR just get a set of DT990 pros... Decisions decisions
If you don't want to spend too much and wireless is not a must, I think the other option I suggested- Philips Fidelio X2HR and a V-Moda Boompro Microphone is still worth consider.

Build quality is way ahead of the plastic gaming headsets in this budget range (won't have to worry about the plastic snapping/breaking far too soon), and both the audio and the mic clarity would be better.

I have both the DT770 and DT990 250ohm (and Sennheiser HD700 and B&O H95), and I'm still quite content with using my Philips Fidelio X1 with V-Moda Boompro Microphone. With it being like a "headband" like design, it's quite comfortable to wear with the elastic rest on the head without requiring strong clam force around the ears to secure it like many headphones/headsets do. From what I read the X2HR comparing to the X1 (which a might leaning toward the warm side) is more neutral sounding and with even better dynamic, so for gaming it should be better as well.

If you don't care for having a mic on the headphone too much, then for just a headphone may be a AKG K712PRO could be good as well. But being a full open headphone it would mean you would pretty much sharing what you hear with anyone else in the same room with you and you get minimal filter for outside noise (essentially for open cans in general you have to accept these shortcoming in exchange for a large sound stage).

Soldato
I've found them, nice one, I'll check some reviews out on them

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm assuming planar magnetic provides just all round better sound quality?
Not too great on rting:

PROS
  • Very comfortable fit.
  • Consistent audio delivery.
  • Wide, spacious, and natural passive soundstage.
CONS
  • Dip in the high-mid to low-treble weakens and veils vocals and lead instruments

Those cons could potentially affect positioning and audio cues in games

Also on stability it was given a 6.0, so for you mentioning you have a small head it could be even worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not too great on rting:

PROS
  • Very comfortable fit.
  • Consistent audio delivery.
  • Wide, spacious, and natural passive soundstage.
CONS
  • Dip in the high-mid to low-treble weakens and veils vocals and lead instruments

Those cons could potentially affect positioning and audio cues in games
Cheers for that, I don't need a mic as use a elgato wave 3 USB.

Ah, are they really that loud? My Pc is on my front room so don't think my other half will appreciate explosions and gun fire while watching her TV series

Soldato
Cheers for that, I don't need a mic as use a elgato wave 3 USB.

Ah, are they really that loud? My Pc is on my front room so don't think my other half will appreciate explosions and gun fire while watching her TV series
Probably not loud to the point of you are imagining, but still it would be very audible and I think any open-cans is generally not recommended unless you are by yourself.

The Philips is not full open so it shouldn't leak as much sound, but if you want to be absolutely certain then I guess you should have to stick with Closed options.

Back
Top Bottom