Got DT770 pro's with a G6, anything worth upgrading too?

Soldato
OP
Probably not loud to the point of you are imagining, but still it would be very audible and I think any open-cans is generally not recommended unless you are by yourself.

The Philips is not full open so it shouldn't leak as much sound, but if you want to be absolutely certain then I guess you should have to stick with Closed options.
Well all I can do is try, at least from the rainforest I can return if needs be.

So if we looked at closed back options, again which would you recommend?
Just thinking I may as well order two sets and see which I prefer rather than having to wait for returns etc

Associate
For gaming you'll need to make sure the headphone has great imaging so you can easily tell which direction sounds are coming from. The Sennheiser HD 560 S is one of the best headphones for accurate imaging, and it's also a great all around audiophile headphone. Currently on sale for £149.

Associate
DT700 Pro X or DT900 Pro X is a newly designed model and a step up from what you have, so certainly worth a look. I had 900 with a G6 and they sounded great. They’re slightly less bright than yours but still have lots of detail.

H6 Pro open I do have and they’re nowhere near as good as the Beyer’s. The new Audeze Maxwell might be worth a look too. I have Penrose at the moment and rate them very highly vs anything under £250 wired, so Maxwell at £319 should be a great buy

Soldato
OP
So I've got some in my basket

DT 900 pro X £219
HD 560s £150
X2HR £144
HIFIMAN HE400SE
OR get a updated pair of DT 770 pro X £219

I use my G6 in scout mode, however I'm always open to different settings of people could advise?
if their truly isn't anything worth changing too then I suppose I could see about trying to keep my DT770s going longer by doing some work to them.

my G6 has dolby audio, how do I get that to work exactly? As the command centre has options for SBX profiles, Direct sound and then scout mode, I also have the G6 set to high gain also

Soldato
So I've got some in my basket

DT 900 pro X £219
HD 560s £150
X2HR £144
HIFIMAN HE400SE
OR get a updated pair of DT 770 pro X £219

I use my G6 in scout mode, however I'm always open to different settings of people could advise?
if their truly isn't anything worth changing too then I suppose I could see about trying to keep my DT770s going longer by doing some work to them.

my G6 has dolby audio, how do I get that to work exactly? As the command centre has options for SBX profiles, Direct sound and then scout mode, I also have the G6 set to high gain also
Beyers should be solid, but it boils down to if the update version would stay on your head better than your DT770 does.

Soldato
I've never tried a open back, I play apex legends a lot, I won't say I take it seriously but I do play to win so pin point accuracy and the little details are important to me.
Head shape customizable HRTF would be likely the best improvement for sound positioning.
That upstair's guy forgot to standardize head shape and some average head shape model based HRTF doesn't work well or at all for people with more different head shape.

Sound Blaster X3/X4 would have that "Super X-Fi" tech.

Ah, are they really that loud? My Pc is on my front room so don't think my other half will appreciate explosions and gun fire while watching her TV series
It's you who will be bothered by sound leak of open headphone, if you're playing in same space as someone is watching TV.

Unless sitting side by side, it would require you to listen at seriously hearing dangerous volume for leaking sound to significant issue for someone else.

Soldato
The Philips is not full open so it shouldn't leak as much sound, but if you want to be absolutely certain then I guess you should have to stick with Closed options.
Open vs. semi-open doesn't make real/significant difference to sound leak.
Would need very small hole for it to not let sound through directly.

Soldato
OP
Head shape customizable HRTF would be likely the best improvement for sound positioning.
That upstair's guy forgot to standardize head shape and some average head shape model based HRTF doesn't work well or at all for people with more different head shape.

Sound Blaster X3/X4 would have that "Super X-Fi" tech.

It's you who will be bothered by sound leak of open headphone, if you're playing in same space as someone is watching TV.

Unless sitting side by side, it would require you to listen at seriously hearing dangerous volume for leaking sound to significant issue for someone else.
So the answer to my needs is a replacement set of DT770's and a creative X3 instead of my G6?

Soldato
So the answer to my needs is a replacement set of DT770's and a creative X3 instead of my G6?
All generic HRTFs using some average head shape model are more or less compromises for most people.
So customizing algorithm based on listener's head shape likely gives little or significantly improved positioning for most people.
(in case of Super X-Fi it needs photo of your face and left/right ear to tune HRTF)

Though of course for someone else resulting binaural simulation could well sound even worser than generic HRTF...

If game sounds had been developed even at 10% of the speed of graphics development, we would have had such customized HRTF working directly from true 3D audio data of the games for years.
That's actually what would have been possible with DirectSound before Microsoft killed it in Vista:
In DirectSound games sound cards were able to get sound source 3D locations around player character, sound samples and even rough acoustic model of environment and then used that to render chosen output channel configuration.

For comparison no matter how much they're hyped, 5.1/7.1 "surround" are very lossy and for start lack vertical data.
PC/games would need Dolby Atmos like sound format supporting vertical channels and also "sound objects" with meta data defining sound's location around listener to overcome that.

Associate
For gaming you'll need to make sure the headphone has great imaging so you can easily tell which direction sounds are coming from. The Sennheiser HD 560 S is one of the best headphones for accurate imaging, and it's also a great all around audiophile headphone. Currently on sale for £149.
It's now £96 on the sennheiser website

Back
Top Bottom