GPD WIN (1 or 2) - Any users here?

Soldato
Always been curious about these, and I am getting closer to buying one.

However, before I do, I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience with them. I'm particularly looking to play Fallout 3 on the move - it would be amazing IF these are as good as they look.

Man of Honour
I own several of the GPD Pocket models but have only played with the Win don't own. Personally most games I couldn't get on without a proper keyboard and mouse.

They are pretty decent devices for what they are working with.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was tempted by the Win but I've never been a controller player and having a play I couldn't get on without a proper keyboard and mouse with a lot of games. The hardware itself is pretty capable for what it is and the controls, etc. seem for the most part well designed.

I've found the Pocket very handy - I keep one in my bag for work as well as too often work PCs are incredibly slow and/or locked down.

Soldato
OP
Just got hold of one, only a version 1 for now, and am really pleased with it!

Having a pc the same size as a 3DS XL is mad! Tried Fallout New Vegas, and Burnout Paradise so far

Soldato
Just found this thread having just picked up the WIN 2. Obviously an older device but I'm very impressed.

Didn't really buy it for gaming, just the novelty of a tiny proper laptop.

Can think of plenty of uses for me, absolutely love it so far.

Man of Honour
Still keep my original GPD Pocket in my work bag, still very handy. Largely for other uses though they've been supplanted by the Lenovo Legion Go, much better specs and surprisingly useful with the controllers dismounted and kickstand out albeit still have to tote around a keyboard and mouse for any serious use.

Soldato
Agreed. I've come very close to buying a Legion Go but again not really for gaming.

This was much easier to justify as a novelty but I'm sure it'll just serve as a "gateway drug" to the inevitable purchase of the Go/Ally or whatever comes next :)

Man of Honour
or whatever comes next :)

I'm hoping they iterate on these devices in a meaningful way, The Ally, Go, etc. are great devices but ultimately flawed in some ways. I'd have probably waited for a 2nd generation of them if not for some of my older devices getting a bit past it now.

Soldato
What are your main gripes with the Go?

Just played Assetto Corsa on the Win 2. More than playable. The only issues were having to plug in a mouse to interact with it whilst its switched to joypad mode because if you enter the game in mouse mode it won't recognise the joysticks when theyre switched on.

Man of Honour
What are your main gripes with the Go?

Battery life could be better, though with the latest updates and some tweaks I've managed to improve it a fair bit - I can now get almost 8 hours playing a YouTube video on it compared to about 5 hours on release for example.

The experience would have been vastly improved with the inclusion of VRR on the display as a lot of the time you'll be playing at around 40-50FPS where that comes into its own.

A somewhat mixed one but the SoC used by the Go and Ally (Ryzen Z1 Extreme) is reusing a laptop SoC with waaay more CPU power than required - it could have been much better balanced with more resources going to the GPU instead. Though for my uses it is quite handy as the CPU is really quite performant even at low power levels putting many not that old desktop CPUs to shame. But they could have easily bumped up gaming performance substantially with a better CPU/GPU balance.

The shared use of system RAM for the GPU means at least 3 and upto 8GB (though you rarely need more VRAM than 3-4GB with the performance of the GPU) of the 16GB system RAM is allocated to the GPU - it would have been much better to have 24GB system RAM on there and wouldn't say no to 32 but not really required.

The M.2 uses a smaller form factor 2242 when they could have easily fitted a 2280 which would have made upgrades easier.

The Lenovo software which comes with it isn't great, though they have been working on it a lot and significantly improved it since launch.

There are a lot of positives though and I have no regrets buying mine, but loads of room for improvements in a 2nd generation device.

Soldato
The GPD Win4 looked like a great bit of kit. I considered the Win3 last year before I picked up the Ayaneo.
These handhelds/tiny-PCs are pretty awesome in my book. Throw them in a dock and you're good to go for a desktop experience. Great way to clear the steam library on the go too.

Back
Top Bottom