Graphics & Optimisation Settings For Beginners

Associate
Awesome post for someone who has only been a pc gamer since October last year, this is very helpful for understanding what everything does :)

Soldato
Nice post Kalifornication, one thing maybe worth mentioning to those who may not have time to spend or not want to spend "faffing" around with settings unlike some of us who actually relish doing it. Nvidias geforce experience can optimise game settings itself as long as you have a supported geforce card. And they tend to optimise games pretty spot on with most games to your specified criteria.

So for example you can tell it you would rather have a higher FPS over quality.

Associate
OP
Nice post Kalifornication, one thing maybe worth mentioning to those who may not have time to spend or not want to spend "faffing" around with settings unlike some of us who actually relish doing it. Nvidias geforce experience can optimise game settings itself as long as you have a supported geforce card. And they tend to optimise games pretty spot on with most games to your specified criteria.

So for example you can tell it you would rather have a higher FPS over quality.
I would do but as it stands right now, I'm not sure on anything Nvidia is doing with their drivers, and I'd rather tell people to learn things themselves then be reliant upon Nvidia to do things for them. Their drivers ar'nt exactly great right niw and their geforce experience application isn't reliable as it only accounts for Nvidia's preferences and what they feel is right, not what the user thinks is right for them. Which is why I made this guide. Nvidia's advice on optimal playable settings is backwards in some respects towards pc gaming. I see the goal but it needs better direction.

When ever a new game comes out they provide a guide on their site. Problem is those guides are written for their most powerful card. Who needs optimisation when you're ripping through every graphical setting without having to tinker with optimisation. Had they written guides for their low-end cards then their guides would hold some relevance.

GeForce experience serves no purpose for the enthusiasts audience nor does it help those new to the pc gaming platform. It has no idea what CPU you have, only your GPU. And since the majority of games that use their software generally eceive bad reception and have a reputation for being poorly optimised, I'd much rather suggest looking towards other people's experiences with games. What they need to do is provide guides like this on their website for owners of low-tier GPUs, not £800 graphics cards.

I'd say, use this guide and pass it on to people new to the PC gaming platform. Add to that, don't update Nvidia drivers the day they release, but, instead wait for testing by other people. Their last few driver updates have added nothing except fixes, nor have they seen any benefit for upcoming and recently released titles. GeForce experience provides gamer-features like streaming and screenshot macros. I remember the launch of the GTX 900 series graphics cards, and the GTX 960 trading blows with the previous GTX Titan.

The first Titan isn't a top end GPU anymore but it shouldn't have been at ties with the GTX 960. They resolved the issue, but it should never have happened. It's bad perception on their image and should have been tested on all generation GPUs, not the next latest and greatest thing in their GPU line-up. Fact is most people aren't running their high-end GPUs and most people are running prior generation graphics cards. It's for this reason and many others why automatic driver updating and console-like features such as GPU manufacturers deciding what's right for your specifications, is the reason why I suggest people staying clear of these features not not being a guinea pig for primitive features.

If Nvidia get things together then my view may sway, but "Optimisation Guides For Your £800 Graphics Card" do nothing for this platform. There's more but the point is this, games which use their technology don't have real-world optimisation, they have implementation. They need to optimize those features on the low-tier GPUs and produce guides for people like this. There goal is a good one but it lacks guidance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom