Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [3rd - 6th May 2024]

Soldato
Onana is a really strange one. His technique (if that's what you can call it) is really unorthodox. He's made a few really good saves, but his general shot stopping is pretty dodgy.

I remember Peter Schmeichel saying he didn't look like a proper goalkeeper a few months ago.

It's like he rolls a dice in his head to pick where he's going to position himself, I'd love to see a diagram of the goals he's conceded versus a 'normal' keeper, he always seems out of position and even his saves feel more about him having to dive to cover his positioning being poor.

fez

fez

Caporegime
1ga0wDZ.png

Moyes took over a title winning side. EtH joined a mess of a United. Not an entirely fair comparison if were honest.

Associate
Onana is probably the least of Man Utd problems at the moment. They desperately need two decent centre half’s and a midfielder. They also need to offfload Veranne, Casemiro and Eriksson

Man of Honour
Ten Hag looking pretty downbeat in this interview, said he prepared them the best he can, and he can't do anything else.

Kept circling back to the injuries in defence, which is fair, but the whole thing is just a mess really.

Carragher saying it how it is though - "this is one of the most poorly coached teams in the Premier League" - it's not just injuries.

Don
He’s got to go after that hasn’t he? McLaren until end of season?
I'm not sure Schteve is the best option (in fact he'd be the worst imo) but it's hard to argue against getting rid of ETH now and rolling the dice for these last 4 games. It's hard to see how things could possibly get worse - I don't think anybody thinks Utd are going to beat City and they're looking like missing out on Europe altogether now. I doubt it'll work but a new manager bounce might give them some hope of getting in Europe if not being able to challenge City in the Cup final.

Neville getting the caretaker job and getting battered by both Arsenal and City would be the dream scenario. In fact if it happens I'll hold my very own open top bus parade around the whole country.

Soldato
Onana is probably the least of Man Utd problems at the moment. They desperately need two decent centre half’s and a midfielder. They also need to offfload Veranne, Casemiro and Eriksson

Agreed - Onana isn't on the list of the top things needing sorted in there.

2 proper CB are needed - Like a pair of CB that will play 30/35 games a season together....
Midfield looks so light weight.... Mount looks completely lost, Eriksen is miles passed his best years, Mainoo looks promising but needs help in there.

Soldato
He’s got to go after that hasn’t he? McLaren until end of season?
This result pretty much guarantees Ineos get rid of him at the end of the season at the latest. I don't see how Erik stays in the job next season. I wonder if there's any clauses in his contract about not making top 4 or even Europa League. Didn't Moyes get fired for the top 4 position when 5th was the best we could have done at a certain point in the season?

I think the rebuild that has been coming for ages now happens this summer. Too many players not performing who are on silly wages.

Soldato
This result pretty much guarantees Ineos get rid of him at the end of the season at the latest. I don't see how Erik stays in the job next season. I wonder if there's any clauses in his contract about not making top 4 or even Europa League. Didn't Moyes get fired for the top 4 position when 5th was the best we could have done at a certain point in the season?

I think the rebuild that has been coming for ages now happens this summer. Too many players not performing who are on silly wages.
How many rebuilds is that since Fergie left?

Soldato
I'm not sure Schteve is the best option (in fact he'd be the worst imo) but it's hard to argue against getting rid of ETH now and rolling the dice for these last 4 games. It's hard to see how things could possibly get worse - I don't think anybody thinks Utd are going to beat City and they're looking like missing out on Europe altogether now. I doubt it'll work but a new manager bounce might give them some hope of getting in Europe if not being able to challenge City in the Cup final.

Neville getting the caretaker job and getting battered by both Arsenal and City would be the dream scenario. In fact if it happens I'll hold my very own open top bus parade around the whole country.
It can get worse. Four very tough games to finish the season off. If they play like that they'll get battered in all of them. Players clearly aren't playing for Ten Hag and have given up already.

Last edited:
Associate
Onana is a really strange one. His technique (if that's what you can call it) is really unorthodox. He's made a few really good saves, but his general shot stopping is pretty dodgy.

I remember Peter Schmeichel saying he didn't look like a proper goalkeeper a few months ago.
Looks like an outfield player playing in goal. Sometimes it looks like he just doesn't know what he should be doing, his coming out/closing down is just awful and his positioning is pretty suspect as well.

Last edited:
Don
It can get worse. Four very tough games to finish the season off. If they play like that they'll get battered in all of them. Players clearly aren't playing for Ten Hag and have given up already.
That's what I mean by it can't get worse. Utd are at rock bottom under ETH and even his most deluded backers won't believe that Utd will be able to salvage anything from these last few games. Replacing him with a caretaker is pretty much risk free - worst case whoever comes in does as badly as most expect Utd will do anyway.

There's only a small chance that a caretaker could improve things but with no real downsides*, you may as well roll the dice.

*The only reason not to sack him now is it looks a bit clownish to replace somebody with 4 games to go.

Back
Top Bottom