• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 380 & GTX 360 Pictured + Specs

Caporegime
I think you misunderstanding what I'm saying...

Not really, you said they might have to sacrifice die space for more memory, thats simply....... wrong.

You don't turn off 2 shader clusters, and thats what it is, turned off, not cut out and its only being made with 448sp's, to have more memory.

Maybe you meant, memory bus? which is very different, again, the core HAS 512sp's anda 384mbit mem bus, turning off one doesn't make the other magically work. You turn off a shader cluster, because they aren't working. Its not even a power thing, Tesla part, paralel processing is more important. More shaders at a lower clock and voltage would be faster than less shaders at a higher clock. So if they were just trying to sneak under 225W, they've be dropping clocks, not shaders. They fact they've dropped non working shaders and its STILL 225W, is just, bad, bad, bad news. It means yields are terrible anyway, its simply too big for the process with too much leakage making too many shaders unviable. The clock speeds added to leakage mean power usage is just ridiculous.

Man of Honour
I dont think you have grasped C+ is nothing new. They need a huge case and where are you getting the 8.5Kw to 3 from ? you still need everything a server has but your losing about 60% of your space and adding graphics cards.

You need to be able to rack mount them and the power requirement needs to be more than halved before they are even worth considering.

You have just pointed out what I said half a dozen post back. It a super computer for a bedroom, or the very rich.

Your still not getting it...

If your doing the kinda workload that can benefit from running on a GPU - which is quite typical for many educational, research, etc. institutions you can replace the need for 10s or even 100s of servers with a small number of boxes with 6-8 GPUs in each...

Man of Honour
Depends on the nature of the workload your doing... you can't just blindly replace a server setup with GPUs and expect a performance increase. Your not going to see datacenters swapping over to GPU based setups.

Permabanned
i cant even tell what that is from that picture
if you are going to break nda then at least get a good pic of the cards and not focus on yourself

you cant tell anythign from that pic
for all we know it could be a pair of 285s

here is a picture of a brick
product5265.gif

this brick has 20 shaders for those of you interested

I want one. I like how they have put holes through it for extra cooling, should work nicely.

Soldato
Since this thread was started the only new confirmed info is the name change from 300 to 400.

This has been the longest, most boring launch lead-up ever!

Back
Top Bottom