Had my first ever magic smoke!

Soldato
After over 20 years with my own computers, building them and the likes I finally had my first Magic smoke!

PSU went bang, capacitors blew. Smelled bloody awful but thankfully all components were safe.
Even managed to shut down the PC which was insane to me.

Got quick turnaround on the RMA thankfully was still in warranty.

Corsair RMX 850w fully modular hopefully doesn't happen with the replacement

Associate
It's a problem for me whenever something like this happens, because on the one hand I want to send it back for replacement, but on the other hand I want to take it apart to diagnose the failure. Choices, choices.

Soldato
Most of psus like that have safety features so they can thankfully die alone :)

Unfortunately my Enermax PSU from years ago didn't have such a feature. I went on holiday so turned the computer off at the wall which probably dried the capacitors out. When I got back and turned the PC on, KABOOM!! It took everything with it. Expensive holiday.

Associate
I had a pre-build from OCuk bought around 2008 that had a Corsair TX650 in it went out with large BANG while gaming scared the life out of me some smoke burning smell ect..all the other components survived the event thankfully.

Another one went out with a whimper HX850I just wouldn't turn on one day, both RMA's were handled swiftly by Corsair though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember when I was about 13 or 14, I had a PC that I had built for gaming and I found that my PSU had a switch on the back. It probably said something like 230/240 or something to that effect… I thought well I guess I’ll just flick this switch and it’ll give me more juice and I can get me some more FPS in my games :D

In my infinite wisdom, I flicked the switch while the computer was on and BANG… one dead PSU :D

I think I was fortunate to not have damaged any other components! But I definitely lost my hearing for a few seconds…

Associate
I had a pre-build from OCuk bought around 2008 that had a Corsair TX650 in it went out with large BANG while gaming scared the life out of me some smoke burning smell ect..all the other components survived the event thankfully.
My Corsair TX650 went bang too, took out the motherboard (P5Q) with it

Soldato
I've had two tx650 go bang. Every Corsair supply I've had has had some sort of issue. Warranty is great, no issues there, even got a free upgrade, but I avoid them now as it's still hassle.

Back
Top Bottom