Halford professional socket sets

Caporegime
Looking for opinions on some of the Halfords socket sets. It won't be for anything major, just some home maintenance, pads, maybe discs and oil changes, maybe even spark plugs etc. is the 200 piece set way OTT For this kind of home mechanic? It won't be anything really old, I have an '04 Seat Leon and anything else is likely to be newer so is a metric set a better buy?

Is something like this: http://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...essional-150-piece-socket-ratchet-spanner-set even overkill?

Man of Honour
Wait till after Christmas and the big 150,175 and 200 sets will be on some kind of bargain offer.

I've got one for working on my bike and they contain pretty much everything you think you'll need and a good amount of stuff you look at and think WTF do I need that for until it comes in highly useful when you're sat there with a bike in bits.

Also the lifetime guarantee means it's an investment you'll never have to buy any of it again. A job or 2 done with it and it's already paid for itself in saved labour charges.

Soldato
Go for the biggest set you can afford i'd say, you can never have too many tools when you're in the middle of a job that is quickly going south. That 3rd 17mm spanner you bought for no reason at all will be the one that actually fits and has just the right leverage to undo the bolt you can't see while lying on your back in the dark.

Associate
I've had the 150 pc when it was on offer at 85 pounds or there about for about 2 years.

It's great and pretty much all you need for basic repairs and fitting.

I have a lot of other tools also and just bought a 200pc one as it was on sale for 100gbp on black friday so I can have one at each garage so I don't have to lug them about. No matter what job you are doing you will always need another tool. I need a hub puller next and a ball joint splitter. Tools are always good to have around

Managed to break one of the torx sockets and a breaker bar and halfords replaced for free no questions asked

Caporegime
I've had my set for what must be 10-11 years now and it's still going strong.

With my set (and a rented engine hoist) I only needed to purchase a handful of additional sockets and drivers to do an engine swap for my Leon Cupra R.

Certainly earned their keep.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
The quality isn't what it was in the early days and I don't think the lifetime guarantee applies to ratchets and things like that any more. It also doesn't cover damage by using the tools in "interesting" ways like linking spanners and so on.

The parts outside the lifetime warranty are definitely not unbreakable, so bear that in mind.

Other than that, they are good solid tools and good value for money when they are on offer.

Soldato
Yeah, as said by most others, they are pretty good quality and contain most of what you need. The only thing you might want to add for general maintenance is s torque wrench and some larger spanners. I think the set I bought years ago goes up to 19mm, and for a few jobs I had to buy a 22mm.

Soldato
Yeah, as said by most others, they are pretty good quality and contain most of what you need. The only thing you might want to add for general maintenance is s torque wrench and some larger spanners. I think the set I bought years ago goes up to 19mm, and for a few jobs I had to buy a 22mm.

buy a set of quality ratchet spanners too, they're the nuts when you haven't got the space for a proper ratchet

B@

Soldato
I bought the largest set on a deal on Black Friday for £125. Very impressed although the ratchet tooth count could be a little higher. Have used it for a couple of inspection jobs so far. But I'll be doing a couple of brake jobs on two cars in the new year so it will pretty much pay for itself from there.

I also bought a 1/2" Torque Wrench and that is excellent - no doubt that the nuts are done up to the correct torque. I have a handy sheet from Continental which lists the various ratings for steel and alloy wheels for vehicle makes and some models. Will definitely add a smaller 3/8" Torque Wrench to the armoury!

Caporegime
Shame the quality on these have gone massively downhill. I think they are made in a different country now.

They used to be the bargain of decent quality tools but like all things, they don't make them like they used to anymore.

As my mechanic mate said "they are using toffee steel"

Associate
Halfords Professional used to be made by Sykes Pickavant - not sure if still the case.
I wouldn't buy a set with AF and imperial sizes unless you are working on American and British classics.
Consider getting a smaller decent metric set.
Have a look on Amazon, toolstore, machine mart etc..
Then look out for discount offers on ratchet-less wrenches as an upgrade.

Soldato
Bought my 200 piece Halford professional set about 20 years ago for £100 & apart from having to replace one of the 1/2 inch ratchets it's been invaluable over the years.
Certainly the best £100 I've spent on tools.

Soldato
Halfords Professional used to be made by Sykes Pickavant - not sure if still the case.
I wouldn't buy a set with AF and imperial sizes unless you are working on American and British classics.
Consider getting a smaller decent metric set.
Have a look on Amazon, toolstore, machine mart etc..
Then look out for discount offers on ratchet-less wrenches as an upgrade.

You say that but sometimes when things are pretty corroded having the odd sizes helps occasionally

B@

Associate
So my Halfords Professional Socket Set is about 20 years old now. Unfortunately I lost my 13mm 1/4" inch drive socket 2 weeks ago. Halfords cannot now supply a replacement to buy (only a black one). However searching the internet it has become apparrent that Halfords now sell Halfords Advanced sockets in lieu of the Professional make, (I beleive these Advanced are inferior to the Professional types), is this true. In addition, does anybody know where I can buy a Halfords Pro 13mm 1/4 inch drive socket to complete my set

Soldato
Mine is also 15-20 years old. The amount of stuff it's enabled me to do is worth ten times the £99 I paid for it way back. I rate them.

Back
Top Bottom