Harrison Ford lands his aircraft on taxiway instead of runway

Soldato
After his incident in 2015, where he crashed his aircraft into a golf course...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31759873

He's somehow managed to get confused with ATC at Orange County's John Wayne Airport in Southern LA, and instead of landing on the runway, he flew over a taxiing Boeing 737 with 110 passengers on board and lnaded on the actual taxi way :o

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...son-ford-flies-over-jetliner-awaiting-takeoff

In all seriousness though, he is 74 years old now, it's his third incident involving aircraft (He crash landed a helicopter in 1999 too). What kind of regulation is in place to ensure people over a certain age are still fit to fly? This could have been a disaster costing many lives. I'm actually shocked that he hasn't handed his own license over after this!

Associate
My boss was 76 and had an annual retest and physical to fly a helicopter.
States is probably different.

Soldato
I'm actually shocked that he hasn't handed his own license over after this!

2 crashes in 20 years? 1 of which was caused by engine failure + 1 incident of landing in the wrong place. It's hardly that bad, is it?

If you took driving licences off everyone who had 1 at-fault incident every 10 years, how many people would be left on the road?

Soldato
OP
2 crashes in 20 years? 1 of which was caused by engine failure + 1 incident of landing in the wrong place. It's hardly that bad, is it?

If you took driving licences off everyone who had 1 at-fault incident every 10 years, how many people would be left on the road?

Fair enough, loss of power, but mistaking a taxi way for a runway is hardly a small mistake is it?

Caporegime

Everyone else who isnt an *******?

Caporegime
Honestly that's a very easy class-action for both the airline and the 110 people, the passengers can likely sue the airline/airport authority in endangering their lives and that is passed on to to Ford from the authority/airline.

If that doesnt happen, then im calling conspiracy from a hollywood elite /s.

Soldato
I'd like to know where Air Traffic Control were during this. It's their job to assign land slots etc. You would think that they would have guided him in to a safe stretch of tarmac. Apparently not.

Soldato
OP makes out he's a terror in the skies yet the incident in 2015 wasn't his fault and was lauded by many for the excellent and calm way he handled the situation. So he couldn't be that bad now could he?

An old man makes a potentially terrible mistake which The FAA are already investigating, rightfully so. What about all the young drivers who causes untold car accidents, should we remove their licenses because their young and stupid?

Man of Honour
Sounds like the blame is 50/50 Harrison and ATC to me obviously just going on what has been reported.

EDIT: Quite impressive amount of detail on google maps 3D for the airport - gotta be up there with some of the best bits.

Last edited:
Hitman
Soldato
What kind of regulation is in place to ensure people over a certain age are still fit to fly? This could have been a disaster costing many lives. I'm actually shocked that he hasn't handed his own license over after this!

Not sure on the FAA rules but with the CAA/UK, at his age, you would have to have a yearly medical checkup. The CAA recently made it so you can self-certify you're fit on NPPL type! You also have to have a check ride - the renewal date of this is different depending on what you're renewing.

Not sure how he's managed this as all the obvious signs would've been there indicating he was on final for the wrong runway.. or not a runway in this case.

Soldato
Oops.

Hmm it's not like he was landing a cessna full of coke in the Utah desert.

You'd expect a qualified pilot to know the approach and the layout of the airport beforehand.

I'd be interesting to hear the coms, I'd expect ATC to be monitoring the approach and warn them they were off course and abort the landing.

But IANAP

Soldato
2EF823E3-87F9-4E80-8853-8AC24183D0C4_zpsxdflf09l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom