HDR vs 4K for Gaming: The Breakdown

Soldato
My monitor is HDR 400 which is one of the lower end HDR versions and I tend to have it on rather than disabled as I do find in games mostly it's better visuals, in driving games and open world panoramas etc.
It can be a bit off putting sometimes though when it gets confused and the screen will dim or brighten up on the fly...

...but thats mostly only obvious when I'm watching say a movie on VLC, the control bar is quite light so it will make it think to darken the screen overall. Until the control bar auto hides itself and you can see it brighten up again!

Hdr400 is quite bad in of itself but it is useable in some instances like a very bright racing gamenl like forza or something. The main issue just hat hdr400 screens don't have enough dimming zones and when the hdr kicks in to make the bright colors pop it raises the brightness of the blacks too and so any black areas of the image look completely grey or like it's covered in mist.

The biggest issue with raising the brightness of the blacks is that it reduces color contrast and the human eye perceives color contrast as both image resolution and image quality - meaning you can trick the human eye into thinking an image is of a higher quality and resolution than it actually is by improving color contrast - and the exact opposite applies, poor color contrast on an hdr screen can make the image appear worse to our eyes than just using sdr

Linus tech tips did a video comparing various hdr monitors using the movie how to train your dragon and its shows off what I'm referring to

Last edited:
Permabanned
HDR has nothing to do with that.
It's all about self emissive pixels of OLED having real black, which gives that "depth" to image.

And colour gamut wise CX48 is actually mediocre failing to reach even DCI-P3 in greens.
But that real black and pixel level contrast kinda compensates for that.

I know how OLED works but HDR looks better on this panel than it did on the others however "mediocre" you find one of the best panels out there. I was merely stating things I like about the TV and how it looks better/has less issues with HDR in windows. Very bright scenes, like the one I described is very much HDR so to say it has nothing to do with it...OK, not sure what the problem is.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hdr400 is quite bad in of itself but it is useable in some instances like a very bright racing gamenl like forza or something. The main issue just hat hdr400 screens don't have enough dimming zones and when the hdr kicks in to make the bright colors pop it raises the brightness of the blacks too and so any black areas of the image look completely grey or like it's covered in mist.

The biggest issue with raising the brightness of the blacks is that it reduces color contrast and the human eye perceives color contrast as both image resolution and image quality - meaning you can trick the human eye into thinking an image is of a higher quality and resolution than it actually is by improving color contrast - and the exact opposite applies, poor color contrast on an hdr screen can make the image appear worse to our eyes than just using sdr

Linus tech tips did a video comparing various hdr monitors using the movie how to train your dragon and its shows off what I'm referring to

That was my experience with my first HDR monitor but I also got that with my 1000 nits brightness CG437k as well.

Associate
I think4k is good option when it comes to resolution, but I prefer 2k with HDR 600 which gives best result and also at affordable price. but if you have good budget then 4k with HDR is good to go with.

Caporegime
Just LOL at this thread still existing... HDR vs 4k. They are not even comparable things and now HDR can be had at all resolutions so isnt it time to retire the thread? :)

Back
Top Bottom