Head scratching inquiry

Associate
Hello all, my dads PC for some reason when he chooses to restart it after it powers down it doesn't come back on straight away it stays off for like 2-3 minutes then comes to life and boots up again, has anybody ever seen this kind of behaviour before?

It was a PC I done a few years ago for him but installed an nvme drive last year but have no idea how long its been doing this.

this is the system he has copy pasted from old thread here
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Man of Honour
maybe is just getting old and having a moan :D

You could try a new battery and reseating the memory.

Does it have many USB devices plugged in?

I'd disable fast boot too.

Associate
OP
It does have a few USB's plugged in I believe, I can check on fast boot and ive not long replaced the battery as on his old windows 7 install before going to 10 the time on his computer kept going backwards, after an hour of updating time it would go back several hours, it was really odd, put on windows 10 with no key so he has the watermark but he doesn't care about that and the time thing didn't happen again so unsure as to what cause that issue.

Although he had been using the same setup for years, thanks for the suggestions, will tell him to unplug all but keyboard and mouse before the next restart to see if that changes anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Usb devices causing slow bootup (usb hard drives being detected are often the cause) or be while the power is on, and it is booting.
Your description makes it sound like the power stays off for a few minutes then it starts booting up?

Soldato
Personally I would try something simple to rule out some tricky issues.

If not already, try updating the BIOS to the latest version and maybe even do a factory reset on the BIOS.

As others have said, best thing would be to remove everything but the essentials connected to the machine and test it out. Then try reconnecting devices one by one.

Back
Top Bottom