Heatsink Spec

Soldato
Just noticed that these £21.00 HR-02 don't have AM2/AM3 mounts so will cost a few quid more for that. Can't seem to find it on OcUK website.

Soldato
Could be a deal breaker :(

All I'm finding is an 'X' kind of mount that required trying to reach under cooler to install it. :( not a pretty picture. :(

Associate
OP
That's what I was confused about...in the title its says **B Grade** Thermalright HR-02 Macho CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/LGA1156/LGA1155/LGA1366) buit in the description is says

"Multiple support bracket system For Socket 1366/1156/1155/775 & AM2/AM3"

I dropped OCUK a webnote asking if all the bracket system parts would be included in which they replied:

"The cooler should have it's fittings as we would be unable to sell this item if it did not.

Condition should be fairly good but may have slight cosmetic damage."

So I think I'm going to risk it and see what turns up haha.

Associate
OP
Ok, so that parts have arrived I think I have most of it but there seems to be one metal plate I think I'm missing. Going to take and upload some photos, would you be able to take a look and advise doyll?.

Associate
OP
CIMG1805.jpg

CIMG1804.jpg

CIMG1803.jpg

CIMG1802.jpg

CIMG1801.jpg

CIMG1800.jpg

CIMG1799.jpg

CIMG1797.jpg

Associate
OP
My concerns are that TIM was already applied, the dents in the copper pip at the top and that im missing a metal plate?

Associate
OP
Ok, I now know what im missing. I'm missing 4 rubber/felt triangles which go on each corner of the fan which im guessing is to stop vibration on the heatsink?. I'm also missing which looks to be a square rubber grommit which goes in the cut out on the black back plate. Will I need these bits?.

EDIT: You can see the black rubber square in the above picture. Im assuming its so the metal doesnt touch the back of the motherboard?

Soldato
No that looks like my TS 140 setup (that's the intel backplate afaik). There is a hole in the middle but it's not used (I have a slightly different mechanism for my MUX-120, and the plate has a added pressure screw in the centre).

The kinks on the copper tubes are fine. It's the end bit that are soldered and sealed shut.

The TIM looks nasty. Clean that up with a TIM cleaner.

Do you have vibration pads as well? Not sure if the HR-02 macho comes with some, but I had vibration pads for push-pull on my TS 140.

BTW, have fun installing the fan :) I suggest you practise first.

If you are missing the installation procedure, I can take a few pics of mine. It looks identical to the TS 140.

If you need TIM, any of these will do (and some cleaner).

YOUR BASKET
1 x Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Compound (4g) £8.99
1 x Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound (4g) £6.98
1 x Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme Cutting Edge Thermal Compound (3.5g) £6.95
1 x Akasa AK-TC TIM Clean CPU & Heatsink Cleaner £5.99
1 x Thermalright Chill Factor 3 Tube (4g) Thermal Paste £4.99
Total : £38.89 (includes shipping : £4.16).

I use MX-4.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hmmm Intel bracket you say, I have an AM3+ board :(. Is it not suppose to support both Intel and AMD boards?

After a little more research it looks like most of it's here (I panicked a little haha).

I purchased some TIM cleaner and MX4 so that part should be fine.

In regards to the vibration pads I think they are missing (B grade) :( are they needed or is it recommended im guessing against the heatsink the vibration will make a really annoying tin rattle noise?

Pictures would be a great help as unfortunately no instruction were included. I've checked a couple of vids and it looks fairly simple. (Note to self: practice putting fan on before installing!! haha)

Soldato
Leave for awhile and everything starts to happen :)

The mounting bracket picture you found and posted looks right for AM2/AM3 mount. Have not actually installed one though. If the holes line up on your motherboard it's right. ;)

I believe the crossbar that goes over heatsink can be positioned top to bottom or side to side.

HR-02 rev.A installion pdf
http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/hr-02_macho_reva.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Vibration pads are no big deal. Probably be fine without or can be made out of most anything rubber like an old mouse pad even.

At the rpm you will be running I doubt it will be vibrating. :)

Soldato
Missed it. The installation manual shows the center rubber as being for 939 mounting.

Manual:
"Step 4backplate cap
Note: When installing on a 939 platform,
please first insert the Back Plate Cap into
the opening on the Back plate, make sure
you have the Cap facing"

olivier renault covered the cooler questions. Those crimped ends on pipe is done to close and seal them.

Back
Top Bottom