Helldivers 2

Associate
Mixed thoughts on this.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/553850/announcements/detail/4196868529806518742

Attention Helldivers,

Due to technical issues at the launch of HELLDIVERS™ 2, we allowed the linking requirements for Steam accounts to a PlayStation Network account to be temporarily optional. That grace period will now expire. See details below in this post.

Account linking plays a critical role in protecting our players and upholding the values of safety and security provided on PlayStation and PlayStation Studios games. This is our main way to protect players from griefing and abuse by enabling the banning of players that engage in that type of behaviour. It also allows those players that have been banned the right to appeal.

As such, as of May 6th, all new HELLDIVERS 2 players on Steam will be required to connect their Steam account to a PlayStation Network account. Current players on Steam will start to see the mandatory login from May 30th and will be required to have linked a Steam and PlayStation Network account by June 4th. PlayStation Network accounts are free and easy to set up using this link
https://www.playstation.com/support/account/create-account-for-psn/

"**** off, game" comes to mind.

I'm genuinely fed up of this constant need to link accounts, etc.

Anyone else think the next warbond looks a bit underwhelming? I like the look of the new light armour, but I am getting bored of 27 cosmetic variants of the same handful of armour perks. A variant of the Defender and Scorcher, and yet another low magazine capacity assault rifle... I'd love them to do a drum mag Liberator with 75-80 rounds and a high rate of fire. Give it 5 mags, 50 damage or something. I'd enjoy running around with a bullet hose... I basically want a ballistic version of the Sickle...

Last edited:
Associate
"**** off, game" comes to mind.

I'm genuinely fed up of this constant need to link accounts, etc.

Anyone else think the next warbond looks a bit underwhelming? I like the look of the new light armour, but I am getting bored of 27 cosmetic variants of the same handful of armour perks. A variant of the Defender and Scorcher, and yet another low magazine capacity assault rifle... I'd love them to do a drum mag Liberator with 75-80 rounds and a high rate of fire. Give it 5 mags, 50 damage or something. I'd enjoy running around with a bullet hose... I basically want a ballistic version of the Sickle...
But this was known when you purchased it, you could have just not bought it. I also agree it is bloody annoying having to do this on a pc game

Soldato
But this was known when you purchased it, you could have just not bought it. I also agree it is bloody annoying having to do this on a pc game

Yes I knew this was a requirement when the game launch. Except it wasn’t, it was optional. Customer expectations have been set, and whilst they’re now “making true” with their original design, it leaves a sour taste in the customer’s mouth, as this is now clearly a “captive market” initiative.

Comes a point where it feels like the boat has sailed to link the PSN account, and they should just leave it as is if it doesn’t provide any value to THE CUSTOMER.

But all that said and done, I will link my obsolete PSN account and continue to play :p

Soldato
cG0LmZr.png

Associate

I honestly don't remember reading anything about it on the store page. I was also allowed to skip the option to link to a PSN account when starting the game. Knowing the game was crossplay, I assumed it meant you could just carry your progress between versions which would be a reasonable assumption. I haven't read that notice in a while but I don't remember anything about it being mandatory.

If they were upfront about it I'd hesitate to call it a bait and switch, but they didn't actively advertise the requirement.

Soldato
When purchasing, I was under the impression that the PSN account linking was optional. I was NOT warned when purchasing and installing the game that it would become mandatory at some later point. This is bait and switch, pure and simple.

I don't have a PSN account and have no intention of getting one. I don't use Crossplay when grouping in HD2 anyway.

Surely the compromise here is for Arrowhead to disable Crossplay for those who don't link a PSN account. I'd be fine with that. But essentially preventing me playing at all, even solo, because of this? That's utter BS.

Seems a refund isn't possible. So if no compromise is forthcoming I'll take it on the chin, leave a big fat negative review on Steam and never buy another game that supports / enforces Crossplay again. Lesson learned.

Caporegime
First experience with a cheating player earlier.

They were only level 15/16 and had chinese type characters in their name. Played 2 games with them and they were calling down seemingly infinite stratagems - Loads of Gattling/Rocket/Autocannon sentries.

At the mission stats screen after - 0 stratagems used.

I recorded it with Nvidia and am uploading it to Youtube but a 120fps 4K video is massive so it'll take forever.

It really ruined the game, there was no real danger at any point (and we were playing on Suicidal difficulty). It makes you wonder why people do it to be honest.

Hope they stamp that out ASAP.

Soldato
Feel for the people who've sunk hours into this and can't keep playing as PSN isn't live in their region, what a bad move.

I'd imagine there's some legal implications for selling the game knowingly to people who further down the road cannot possibly get a PSN account because of where they live. This is going to get really messy.

People who can get a PSN account but choose not to is a different situation. It's still bait and switch, but it's hard to prove.

The shills will say "but you should have known" but not everyone is aware they are blocked from PSN on a country level and not everyone reads the small print of the EULA (does anyone really given their size?). There's a clear argument here that EULAs need to be made less opaque across the entire gaming industry.

Anyway, they deserve all the negative reviews they get for pulling such a stunt.

Associate
First experience with a cheating player earlier.

They were only level 15/16 and had chinese type characters in their name. Played 2 games with them and they were calling down seemingly infinite stratagems - Loads of Gattling/Rocket/Autocannon sentries.

At the mission stats screen after - 0 stratagems used.

I recorded it with Nvidia and am uploading it to Youtube but a 120fps 4K video is massive so it'll take forever.

It really ruined the game, there was no real danger at any point (and we were playing on Suicidal difficulty). It makes you wonder why people do it to be honest.

Hope they stamp that out ASAP.
Be careful I say, best course of action is to just leave straight away if you suspect any dodgy play.

I had a situation near launch whereby everybody was playing normal, even dying and almost failing the missions, but when I collected one of their dropped samples it said a huge number. I collected another player's as he died and it was another large number (like 5000 or something like that), so I must have had a couple of hackers in the group farming materials/medals/credits.

I left straight away given that everything is shared with the group, it would have broken my progress and I didn't want any risk of being flagged for something I didn't do.

Man of Honour
Be careful I say, best course of action is to just leave straight away if you suspect any dodgy play.

I had a situation near launch whereby everybody was playing normal, even dying and almost failing the missions, but when I collected one of their dropped samples it said a huge number. I collected another player's as he died and it was another large number (like 5000 or something like that), so I must have had a couple of hackers in the group farming materials/medals/credits.

I left straight away given that everything is shared with the group, it would have broken my progress and I didn't want any risk of being flagged for something I didn't do.

Probably not that amount, but I've had random instances of samples, medals or credit pickups being large amounts, not sure if intended feature or a bug - in some cases those were when playing solo so not due to a host using hacks, etc.

I'm talking in the 100s rather than 1000s though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom