HELP! I need to remember an oldschool 90s chatroom app thing....

Associate
Hi all. Back in university I used to use some form of text based "chatroom" on the school computer terminals. It was more like a collection of "rooms", where one could travel between them, and they each had a theme or setting. It was a vaguely fantasy setting if I recall. It was text based only, with perhaps some ascii, and one could chat with other people who'd be in this "world", and I'd chat to people from other universities in other countries, but primarily from the US (me being UK based). My university computers were called something like Sun Sparc, and this would've been about 1996/1997. I remember you had to log-in in some form, but can't remember how. It was all done in some client window or similar text window.

Can anyone give me some prompts or leads so I can research this further? I need to find out what this system was...! Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think it had a layout of sorts, so you could understand the rooms geographically, and they had some sort of graphic depiction, but if I recall it was ascii or something similar. It wasn’t a chat with just lines of text from anyone typing/speaking. You’d end up chatting with people in the room you’re in or one to one if you engaged in direct chat.

Soldato
Sounds like one of the old text based chat servers, i used to use one which was called "Amnesia House" (i think). I'd launch a telnet session and connect to their server.

Man of Honour
Annoyingly I know what you are talking about but can't put my finger on the name - some students used to use it where I went to college (circa 1998-2000).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom