Help me stop my desk from going saggy

Soldato
Hah fair. I wouldn't make the fan a p1 issue tho, just get the holes for your cable done and do the fan hole properly. Leave the door open temporarily

Presumably you'll need intake and exhaust?

I would like to upgrade it at some point though
Don't underestimate how warm sealed spaces can get even with a small heat source. You'll need fresh air in and warm air out, imagine the cupboard as a big PC case. I'd drill minimal holes for now - the oOo idea might not be useful if it means air is sucked in the small holes and out the big ones.

You can always start minimal, see how the PC copes, adapt from there. Heat and air flow air worth trying, tweaking and adjusting IMO.

Soldato
Hah fair. I wouldn't make the fan a p1 issue tho, just get the holes for your cable done and do the fan hole properly. Leave the door open temporarily
Yeah. Just want to make the hole so that I hopefully don't need to drag the whole thing apart again when I get a fan.

Marked up, masked up now. Going for this;

gaoOU8t.jpeg

Top row is 32/120/32mm, roughly at/just above the height of the top of my PC when it's on the shelf.

Bottom two are 63mm each, one below the shelf and one above the shelf. Hopefully that means I don't have to attack the back of the shelf so I can feed cables past it (it's flush to the back). 63mm should be big enough to get a plug through. Ikea really did not design this cupboard to put a PC inside did they!

Lunch first then drilling, any comments now's your chance :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can arrange the holes less symmetric and more prioritising material between them. The risk is that 120mm blows when you drill the smaller ones.

Soldato
(after the fact but) had you already got a circular fan ... how come you didn't get one with a square frame and use a jig/coping saw,
I'd be a bit afraid of how circular saw might bite on the panels interior structure - maybe you did some pilots to see whats there.

Soldato
(after the fact but) had you already got a circular fan ... how come you didn't get one with a square frame and use a jig/coping saw,
I'd be a bit afraid of how circular saw might bite on the panels interior structure - maybe you did some pilots to see whats there.
Well most fans have a square frame right? So you cut a circular hole and that leaves room for the screws/bolts that hold it in place.

Update.. drill died on me so it's now charging. Typical. First two small top holes went without a hitch, halfway through doing the holes for the 120mm :o

Debating giving up and going to the pub, it'd be a friendlier atmosphere :p

Last edited:
Soldato
yes maybe I was quick to judge the video - diversity in action, women taking over the DIY/car-fixing whilst I do the ironing.

Soldato
yes maybe I was quick to judge the video - diversity in action, women taking over the DIY/car-fixing whilst I do the ironing.
I got this delivered earlier BRIEFCEC Ventilation Grille 120MM... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CFG1XT47?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So actually taking her lead and cutting a square hole for the fan so it can sit flush. However the look is somewhat ruined by an unsuccessful trip to Wickes this morning whereby I could not find m4 bolts long enough. I did find some in the tool box but they are comically long and stick into cabinet quite a lot. Fortunately not quite enough to get in the way. I’ll stick a cork on the end of them and use them as a buffer when putting the PC in and out. Like parking your car in a garage :o

Soldato
but everyone has a junior hacksaw to cut the bolts shorter & nailfile. ... blue-nylon/chrome.

PS - OC sell square fans

Commissario
but everyone has a junior hacksaw to cut the bolts shorter & nailfile. ... blue-nylon/chrome.

PS - OC sell square fans
A little hint for anyone with a hacksaw, junior or otherwise.

Get good blades...It seems most come with fairly rubbish ones, one of the weird best buys I made a few years back was ordering some decent hacksaw blades.

I got this delivered earlier BRIEFCEC Ventilation Grille 120MM... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CFG1XT47?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So actually taking her lead and cutting a square hole for the fan so it can sit flush. However the look is somewhat ruined by an unsuccessful trip to Wickes this morning whereby I could not find m4 bolts long enough. I did find some in the tool box but they are comically long and stick into cabinet quite a lot. Fortunately not quite enough to get in the way. I’ll stick a cork on the end of them and use them as a buffer when putting the PC in and out. Like parking your car in a garage :o
Next time you need screws/fixings like the bolts a good place if you've gone near you is a Farmers/agricultural supply place that deals with the likes of farmers and commercial garden(ers), we've got one near us and they are great for getting just enough bolts/nuts in the right sizes and because they're aiming at the trade they tend to do them cheaper and good quality.

IIRC last time I went in they were basically charging by weight for smaller bolts/screws/nuts/washers etc so you went along the bins grabbed a clear bag from the dispenser and it was like an iron rich version of the old Woolies pick and mix.

Associate
And get one with the high teeth count! I tried the cheaper rough cut ones, terrible mistake.
Or...use man maths to justify a dremel....;) If you want to still be cheap, then stick the bolts in your drill and spin them up, then press onto hacksaw. Cheap and easier than trying to clamp the bolt whilst sawing away at it

Soldato
yes that's true cutting bolts does give support issues - need some nylon teeth on the mini vice
mine were spear&jackson made in sheffield !
of course, drop of oil too.

Back
Top Bottom