Help me stop my desk from going saggy

Soldato
Just bought a new work top to use as a desk (IKEA Karlby), and as it's quite heavy (and long at 2.4m), I suspect it's going to start bowing/sagging in the middle.

I've been trying to find an elegant solution like a pre made desk brace/beam, but can't seem to find anything online.

Looking for approx 2m wide, as I've got a set of drawers at each end of the work top.

Any help is much appreciated.

Pic:

Soldato
Best thing i would suggest would just be a 2x3 batton running the full length along the wall in between the drawers.

I would suspect that would give it plenty of support and be completely hidden from sight. Plus no annoying poles ruining leg space.

Edit - Whats that black pole in the middle? Is that what you're currently using and want rid of it as i'd have thought that'd be sufficient.

Soldato
OP
Best thing i would suggest would just be a 2x3 batton running the full length along the wall in between the drawers.

I would suspect that would give it plenty of support and be completely hidden from sight. Plus no annoying poles ruining leg space.

Edit - Whats that black pole in the middle? Is that what you're currently using and want rid of it as i'd have thought that'd be sufficient.

Didn't want to get rid of it, just not sure if it'll be sufficient.

I did think about a bit of wood, and while it'll be out of site, I'll definitely end up hitting my knees on it.

I'm after something as low profile as possible. In the US, I can find loads of "anti sag" table supports, but can't seem to find anything in the UK that resembles it

Soldato
Sorry, i made that suggestion before i saw the leg.

If it was me i'd either remove the leg and stick a length of wood across the span (presume it's around 6ft?) or if you want to keep that leg, leave it as it is and it'll be absolutely fine. Lots of kitchens/utility rooms will have a gap in the worktop for a dryer and washing machine side by side with just one of those metal legs and that's a similar size.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, i made that suggestion before i saw the leg.

If it was me i'd either remove the leg and stick a length of wood across the span (presume it's around 6ft?) or if you want to keep that leg, leave it as it is and it'll be absolutely fine. Lots of kitchens/utility rooms will have a gap in the worktop for a dryer and washing machine side by side with just one of those metal legs and that's a similar size.

I've managed to find a reasonably priced 1m long U channel - £4. I thought I could get 3, with one either side of the leg, and then one to go across the front of the leg.

For 18 quid or so, removes the risk of it sagging :) It probably wood be okay with just the leg, but didn't want to take the risk

Soldato
a couple of stainless steel box section 3/4" say running across span ... may need to check with some online stress/bending calculator

Almost exactly the same setup as me. Mine is maybe slightly narrower, its the IKEA oak top. (How ******* heavy btw!)

Mine has a slight, and I mean slight deviation in the middle after 2 years. Ideally you want to put something for it to sit on that will try to move in the opposite direction. If it was me though and as a 2 person desk i would add another leg at the front , just recessed a little.

Soldato
OP
Either a length of baton along the back wall or a couple of london brackets e.g.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONDON-B...NG-BRACKETS-SUPPORTS-100mm-350mm/222608876851

If you must keep the leg, and it doesn't interfere with chairs etc, I'd put it at the front, as that's where you are going to be leaning on it etc.

I can't screw anything into the wall :( Rented property with plasterboard :/

I've so far settled on these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...hash=item1c8f5bea49:m:mOlmReptaerA3Qt98Bfmoeg

Not a bad price. A few of these should add a reasonable amount of stiffness for the desk, and with enough screws, should dissipate the load nicely.

Associate
I can't screw anything into the wall :( Rented property with plasterboard :/

I've so far settled on these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...hash=item1c8f5bea49:m:mOlmReptaerA3Qt98Bfmoeg

Not a bad price. A few of these should add a reasonable amount of stiffness for the desk, and with enough screws, should dissipate the load nicely.
Did you install the steel on the worktop? How's it holding up? Any issues with it so far? I will be buying the same worktop so any feedback/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Soldato
OP
Did you install the steel on the worktop? How's it holding up? Any issues with it so far? I will be buying the same worktop so any feedback/tips would be greatly appreciated!

A few dome-head screws and 25mm outer diameter washers from Screwfix. One in every third slot.

It's holding up well, incredibly sturdy - can't see it going anywhere soon :)

Here's what I went with:

Reinforced my desk to avoid any further potential sagging - it was starting to a little, but now it's super sturdy.

£17 for the steel delivered - 2x 80cm and 1x 1.25m slotted U channels :)

Back
Top Bottom