Help with sudden damp 'infestation'

Soldato
I would buy a dehumidifier for now as no amount of washing with bleach or windows open is going to fix it. Used to own a solid wall house and the only thing that helped was the dehumidifier.

It's all down to ventilation and movement of air.

Houses didn't suffer much with it when coal fires were in use. Now, central heating systems are not very good for air circulation.

Positive air system is the very best to get but can cost up to 1.5k

a dehumidifier is a waste of time as they dont slove the issue, all they do is take moisture out the air so you are forever emptying it.

a postive air input system can be installed for around £400 depending on how much an electrician charges you fit it (they have to be plugged in to the mains)

Caporegime
OP
Oh it will do I'm sure but I don't exactly like sleeping next to something that looks like swamp thing and I don't fancy a number of respiratory problems!

Soldato
:cool:
a dehumidifier is a waste of time as they dont slove the issue, all they do is take moisture out the air so you are forever emptying it.

a postive air input system can be installed for around £400 depending on how much an electrician charges you fit it (they have to be plugged in to the mains)

Not a waste of time as better to empty the water from a machine than see it run down the walls. Yes, the positive solution is the best but not everyone can be bothered to have it installed.

Soldato
when i said, waste of time, i meant that it can still leave water on the walls..

i suppose they can be used as a very short time fix, but in my experience they didnt really help

Soldato
I have this in my flat, not quite as bad but the landlord gave us some mould spray and it stops it from coming back quite as quickly seemingly, as above killed my lungs for a day though :(.

Last edited:
Associate
I love reading all the posts on how it's the landlords fault. I'm a landlord and houses I've lived in have suffered from this problem and properties I rent out suffer from this problem.

Over the years I've thrown thousands of pounds at doing things like injection damp proofing, hacking off the plaster 1 metre up from the ground floor replacing with water proof cement render then re-plastering. None of these solutions have lasted more than a couple of years. It's a complete waste of money.

The only solution I've found that works needs to be done during a complete re-furb. Remove all skirting, architrave, hack off all plaster work then timber stud all solid internal and external walls. On the back of the studding you need a damp proof membrane and inside the studding you need to fit insulation board for example Kingspan.

This method means it doesn't matter how damp or cold your walls get there is no way it can transfer the problem to the internal surfaces. Problem solved.

If you want to point the blame, I'd say point your finger at succesive goverments failure to get a cheap housing system in place to replace the decrepit early 1900's crap we're living in.

Timber framed houses using tried and tested tech developed in the Scandinavian countries is my bet for cheap affordable future solutions. These houses should be mass produced in factories and supplied as simple to erect kits.

Sorry for the rant :p

Soldato
I cant remember the actual name for it but in B&Q or any DIY store the sell this liguid that you brush on and it heats through the damp and removes it

Its expensive mind but when worth it :)

Ill see if i can find the actual name for it.

Soldato
You ain't had mould until you've had it this bad! (my back bedroom)

1358784361.jpg

1358768442.jpg

1358722142.jpg

:eek::o

Soldato
I love reading all the posts on how it's the landlords fault. I'm a landlord and houses I've lived in have suffered from this problem and properties I rent out suffer from this problem.

Over the years I've thrown thousands of pounds at doing things like injection damp proofing, hacking off the plaster 1 metre up from the ground floor replacing with water proof cement render then re-plastering. None of these solutions have lasted more than a couple of years. It's a complete waste of money.

The only solution I've found that works needs to be done during a complete re-furb. Remove all skirting, architrave, hack off all plaster work then timber stud all solid internal and external walls. On the back of the studding you need a damp proof membrane and inside the studding you need to fit insulation board for example Kingspan.

This method means it doesn't matter how damp or cold your walls get there is no way it can transfer the problem to the internal surfaces. Problem solved.

If you want to point the blame, I'd say point your finger at succesive goverments failure to get a cheap housing system in place to replace the decrepit early 1900's crap we're living in.

Timber framed houses using tried and tested tech developed in the Scandinavian countries is my bet for cheap affordable future solutions. These houses should be mass produced in factories and supplied as simple to erect kits.

Sorry for the rant :p

have you tried a positive air input system, these cure the problem over night ! , everything else , as you pointed out, is a waste of money

if there are two options which is the tenant or the landlord, then it comes down to the landlord as they have a responsibility to keep the accommodation in a livable condition

you may well be correct about governments and housing, but as it stands its not the tenants fault (and i speak as a landlord)

Soldato
Wow I am glad this thread is here, I am doing my annual battle with condensation and solid cold bricks walls. As I have slowly redecorated my house I have put up polystyrene sheets on the external walls which has helped but not cured.

for anyone that is interested, this is the thing that solves the problem. its called a Nuaire Flatmaster 2000

http://www.nuaire.co.uk/products/ca...sitive-input-ventilation-piv/flatmaster-2000/

Will this do the job for a 3-bed end of terrace?

http://www.solarcrest.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=PIV020

Soldato
I might have missed it, but is this a downstairs room? If it is then it could be that your cavity is filled with rubble above the DPM. this is a very common problem and often mistaken for rising damp.

Back
Top Bottom