Home made case

Associate
OP
Gutted I wont be having a nice brushed aluminium look but I was having trouble getting a good finish, so I'm going to paint up the chassis. This is the rear panel pretty much as it will be for the finished case bar a couple of screw holes and perhaps some w/cooling holes, but I dont yet know how I will be mounting the rad etc!! Cant wait to get the thing sprayed up black!!

DSCF0010sm.jpg

Associate
OP
Cheers!!

I am driving myself mad trying to sort out some kind of finish for the chassis on this case. I was'nt 100% happy with spraying the chassis completely black so thought sod it i'm gonna try and get a half decent finish on the ally. I had tried already and failed but it turns out a little persistance was all thats needed. :) I'm still going gloss black for the sides and front though. :cool:

Quite pleased with the hardwork which paid off this time, not quite lian-li but It'll do. :D
DSCF0013sm.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried using chemical polishing agents on the aluminium, could make it almost mirror like.

My email is about if you want to talk about it, not quite forum suitable due to the bits used :p

Associate
OP
Mirror finish would be nice. I do have some polishing mops/wax that bring it up pretty close to mirror finish but its No swearing! hard work!!

Grill sits well, you'll see I've used washers under the fan grill. This was to coverup a slight offset in my original screwholes. :D They are stuck down solid using arraldite so really you would never know.

DSCF0015sm.jpg

DSCF0016sm.jpg

Soldato
The washers made it look to me as though you had made steel screw ports for the fans, I was getting really impressed then :p

Looking very very nice :)

Soldato
:p

Have you not considered getting your own grill laser cut, would make the case more 'yours' and could be very very effective.

Or jigsaw cut if your being Ghetto :p

Soldato
I vote on doing a *********, or buying a ********* grill.

OcUK sell, or at least used to sell, counter strike / biohazard type grills.

Associate
OP
PinkFloyd said:
I'd keep it as it is for the clean look you have so far.

That is pretty much my way of thinking with this.

I doubt I will even bother with a side window. Not made my mind up 100% on that one though yet. :)

Associate
OP
Quick update.

Experimented with the rear panel, trying to get a mirror like finish. The ally polish kit I have did work well, just very hard work. I only tried on a small section just to see that it goes the way i want it to. What ya think?

mirrorrear2.jpg

Some riveting just to get the skeleton of the case up so I can get a better Idea on a layout, hopfully. Will use countersunk screws in some areas eventually where a flush finish is needed.

rearrivets2.jpg

Next, I managed to get some chrome feet of an old knackered tape deck I had lying around and tbh they look like they came off a silverstone.lol

casefeet.jpg

Comments please, good or bad. Any tips you can share about anything build wise would be very appreciated. :)

Associate
OP
Slightly better pic to show the finish. Its not perfect as you can probably see the surface was'nt 100% smooth before polish. Very light grazing from the 1200 w'n'dry. I wanna try and rid that if I can. :)

battmirror.jpg

Associate
Out of Curiosity, where'd you get the black stripping from?

I've recently cut a hole out of the side of my case for a ps2 screen and after filing it's still a little rough, could do with something similar.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Looking very good!

can't wait to see the finished product

Westovski said:
Out of Curiosity, where'd you get the black stripping from?

Can't ask that mate, I hinted at where you can get it and my post with it in is now a lovely shade of yellow :p

Back
Top Bottom