How long does it take to repair a laptop?

Soldato
I've recently had to send a laptop back (It was bought for me from another place), primarily because of the heat it was throwing off. I've been told to fix it I needed to do a bios update. But because of the unconventional nature of the bios, its not using a regular motherboard, and the added risk with the bitlocker issue, I sent it to the shop it was brought from to do the update.

But when they tried to update the bios they couldn't do it, so had to call the manufacturer. Then they logged that they have sent it to the manufacturer, in Germany, to 'repair'. It's listed as faulty.

How long a time is reasonable for a repair and to have it back in my hands for?

Associate
When I did tech support we had a repair contractor in Europe for customers who were happy to send their machines to a service center. The turn around time was typically 12 working days. Therefore 2-3 weeks sound about right if they are a bit extra busy.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Was it purchased with a credit card do you know?
Debit card.

It's difficult to find what is a reasonable repair time.

This is what the fault report said;

Laptop Tested & Found Faulty. Tested on OCCT, FURMARK & AIDA 64 Simultaneously. 516 & 588 WHEA Error Detected During Testing on OCCT. Item Set for SURT.

I'm not sure what those 2 error codes mean. I know they shipped it to the manufacturer in Germany.

Originally I thought it was a bios issue. But I was wary of doing a bios update myself because the mobo is custom. Getting the right bios is dodgy too. The company doesn't have a proper website, and doesn't update its own bios that often.

They couldn't figure out how to bios update. They must have tested it and it threw up those errors.

I'm just past the 4 week mark. I'm wondering how long I should wait to chase them up?

Back
Top Bottom