How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Soldato
Pi Zero is WiFi only. Wouldn’t recommend setting up PiHole on such a device as you’ll introduce latency and reliability issues to your network.

Associate
The majority of my Pis are currently unused aside from an older Pi2 driving Pi Hole.

I used Kodi on one for years till I switched to Plex via a TV native app. I return to retropie every once in a while and keep meaning to build a more permanent arcade cabinet.

The current Pi5 is the first one I've not bothered picking up.

Associate
There have been quite a few people saying they have unused Pis. Given that there have been shortages of them several times over the years, perhaps consider selling them on, so other people get a chance to put them to use.

Soldato
Pretty sure it would. WiFi will introduce a noticeable degree of latency
ok I've smokeping running on my network.
While I agree that my wired connected Pi have very low pings, the pi zero 1 is 7.2ms average response over the last week. the pi zero 2 is almost exactly the same.

I doubt anyone will notice the difference.

[EDIT]
thinking about it for a few seconds, the difference between a pi on your local wifi or the remote server are going to be night and day.

Last edited:
Associate
I have one, as Raspberry Pi 3 I bought in 2018. Currently it lives at the back of a cupboard. But I used it as a barebones, offline work station back in the day.

Soldato
Updated after a couple of changes.

Pi 4, 4Gb. Pi-Hole.
Pi 4, 2Gb. 2nd Pi-Hole. Kept in sync with primary Pi-Hole using gravity sync.
Pi 4, 4Gb. Flight tracker reporting to Flight Aware & Flight Radar 24. Also running a RIPE Atlas Probe.
Pi 4, 4Gb. PiVPN (WireGuard & OpenVPN) & Cloudflare Tunnels endpoint.
Pi 4, 2Gb. Home Bridge.
Pi Zero 2 W. Running Mosquitto, an MQTT broker that feeds into Home Assistant.
Pi CM4, 4Gb/16Gb eMMC. Home Assistant, installed in a Home Assistant Yellow.

Don
Updated after a couple of changes.

Pi 4, 4Gb. Pi-Hole.
Pi 4, 2Gb. 2nd Pi-Hole. Kept in sync with primary Pi-Hole using gravity sync.
Pi 4, 4Gb. Flight tracker reporting to Flight Aware & Flight Radar 24. Also running a RIPE Atlas Probe.
Pi 4, 4Gb. PiVPN (WireGuard & OpenVPN) & Cloudflare Tunnels endpoint.
Pi 4, 2Gb. Home Bridge.
Pi Zero 2 W. Running Mosquitto, an MQTT broker that feeds into Home Assistant.
Pi CM4, 4Gb/16Gb eMMC. Home Assistant, installed in a Home Assistant Yellow.

Any reason why these all couldn't just be consolidated onto a single mini PC as docker images (or at worst VMs)?

Soldato
Any reason why these all couldn't just be consolidated onto a single mini PC as docker images (or at worst VMs)?

Some could be, but with some challenges:

- Passing hardware into Docker (in the case of Flight Tracker) is a pig to get working properly and isn't overly reliable. Mini PC not an option as the software runs on Linux.
- Putting 2 x Pi-Hole instances into Docker on a Mini PC doesn't make sense as there's no hardware redundancy.
- Home Assistant needs a Zigbee radio so that largely rules out Docker.
- Home Bridge could probably into Docker, I haven't actually looked but I'd have to buy a Mini PC to run in whilst I had a Pi 4 sitting spare.
- Mosquitto could run within Home Assistant but I had a Zero W 2 spare from a car USB media project that didn't work overly well.

As for VM's, in most cases it's doable but to run VM's I'd need a Hypervisor. I've just decom'd an HP MicroServer & Synology NAS because they're noisy, take up more space than I'd like and aren't overly power efficient. The Pi's are completely silent, power efficient and don't kick out any appreciable heat.

Last edited:
Don
- Passing hardware into Docker (in the case of Flight Tracker) is a pig to get working properly and isn't overly reliable. Mini PC not an option as the software runs on Linux.
Mini PCs can run Linux though?

- Putting 2 x Pi-Hole instances into Docker on a Mini PC doesn't make sense as there's no hardware redundancy.
Fair point

- Home Assistant needs a Zigbee radio so that largely rules out Docker.
Take it that needs GPIO?

but I'd have to buy a Mini PC to run in when I had a Pi 4 sitting spare.
Absolutely better to use what you have, just always intrigued especially when people are running the amount of Pi's (guessing £300+) that could easily have paid for a Mini PC.

As for VM's, in most cases it's doable but to run VM's I'd need a Hypervisor.
You can run KVM on most Linux distros, or go for a specific Linux based Hypervisor such as Proxmox

The Pi's are completely silent, power efficient and don't kick out any appreciable heat.
Lots of Pi's soon add up though in terms of power draw (~5w load each), a typical Mini PC could be around the 30w mark

Soldato
Mini PCs can run Linux though?
They can, but I refer you to the point on not waiting to run both my DNS servers on a single bit of hardware.

Take it that needs GPIO?
No, just USB but I haven't found that overly reliable with Docker. Considering I'm using automations in Home Assistant to control Zigbee devices I don't want them to fail because Docker has decided that the USB Zigbee stick isn't working.

Absolutely better to use what you have, just always intrigued especially when people are running the amount of Pi's (guessing £300+) that could easily have paid for a Mini PC.
Yeah, cost of the Pi's plus PoE HAT's will be higher than a Mini PC but I've been obtaining Pi's since the Pi4 was released in 2019 so according to my man maths, they're cheaper. Especially as I'd need at least 2 Mini PC's to not have all my eggs in 1 basket.

You can run KVM on most Linux distros, or go for a specific Linux based Hypervisor such as Proxmox
I've never actually experimented with Proxmox, I'm an ESX/Hyper-V guy. The HP Microserver I've retired was running ESXi.

Lots of Pi's soon add up though in terms of power draw (~5w load each), a typical Mini PC could be around the 30w mark
Total PoE draw is around 30w at present so significantly less than my old Microserver + NAS setup with a total of 10 HD's. Whilst a Mini PC would be about the same as the Pi's that'd be for a single Mini PC and I'd need 2.

Zom

Zom

Associate
For the first time in a long time I have a new use for my Pi4 - acting as a web server generating a custom dashboard for a 10" wireless e-Ink display.
Prior to that it was basically just a Tailscale exit node.

Soldato
I have 1 pi, a 3B+ it has a retro emulation build on it as well as kodi, handy for when we go away on mini weekend breaks and what not. a bit of gaming with the lad on anything up to and inc PS1 era and telly watching too.

I am hoping the 3B+ has enough poke to control my home solar / battery inverter along with my car charging with intelligent octopus. IF it can (and i pull my finger out and sort it) it will be the excuse i need to buy a pi 5 and get a better emulation / media travel box.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom