How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Permabanned
Any thoughts on if it could run PiHole and RetroPie at the same time? Is it not powerful enough? Would RetroPie stop PiHole running when it starts up?

I’d imagine if the Pi Zero 2 can run RetroPie, it shouldn’t have a problem running Pi-Hole at the same time on most networks.

What might scupper you is the Pi Zero 2’s 512MB of RAM, which is the minimum requirements for Pi-Hole.

Soldato
I’d imagine if the Pi Zero 2 can run RetroPie, it shouldn’t have a problem running Pi-Hole at the same time on most networks.

What might scupper you is the Pi Zero 2’s 512MB of RAM, which is the minimum requirements for Pi-Hole.
That's a good point. I think the Pi 2 B has 1GB RAM, so maybe I could use that for RetroPie + PiHole

Commissario
OP
Name all of your 63 devices...
Hmm, nope.

There are three people in this house, everyone's got multiple devices, phones, tablets, watches, kindles etc. Smart speakers in all rooms (some are stereo pairs), all the RPis, my ham radio transceivers have ethernet, three printers, ring doorbell and threee chimes, telly, consoles, appletv, sky box. Weather station. Three access points, three switches, laptops, desktops, VOIP phone, work laptop etc etc. There are bound to be more that I can't remember.
Then there's a pair of P2P links to my daughters flat where there are two adults there, so all their associated things, plus his kids have laptops, consoles, phones etc.

I have two Pi-holes, both running on Zero 2 Ws, they both tend to have around 60 clients on each of them. Yes, there's a lot on my network. No, my 80/20 connection isn't fast enough!

Soldato
Have 5 running these days 2 Pi4's one is a Plex server the other is a TVheadend and LMS server combined plus 3 Pi3's which are my music players running Picoreplayer

IMG-3453.jpg

Was bored yesterday so made a Christmas version

444.jpg

Associate
Too many is my answer to OP question. All bar one are idle. I have a single Rpi2 running TVheadend so I can stream TV on PCs etc. Others all bought for projects that never happen like one in a Gameboy DMG etc

Associate
Probably too many, and lost track of what models. Got an old 3b and I think a zerow running2 pihole instances, another something in the loft for flight tracking. Another one running a vpn, and one that disgruntled at one point. Oh, and another running companion with a stream deck plugged in to it.

Could probably consolidate down to a decent pi4 or 5 rather than multiple older ones.

Associate
Got a Pi 4 running TVheadend.

Also have 3 original 512MB Pi 1B's (not the plus version):
  • I haven't seen the one of them since the last time I moved house... if I find it I'll probably just set it up as a test area for code before pushing it out in to "production"
  • I keep meaning to have a go at setting up the 2 that I can find as a HA PiHole deployment and now that I know about Gravity-sync that seems like a worthwhile inclusion

Last edited:
Associate
Got a Pi 1 & 3B that have been sat in a box for about 5 years, before that they were used for XBMC. Just picked up a Pi 5 and since it’s significantly faster now that’ll be used to run any dockerized tasks I used to use an old pc for.

Associate
Too many is my answer to OP question. All bar one are idle. I have a single Rpi2 running TVheadend so I can stream TV on PCs etc. Others all bought for projects that never happen like one in a Gameboy DMG etc

What stick do you use for TVHeadend on the Pi? I've been using an older BGT3620 in a dedicated server but it refuses to play properly with Plex. It scans all channels but won't play back.

Associate
Seems I just "inherited" another 1B 512MB and a 1B 256MB.

Guess I could go nuts on the redundancy model for the Pi-Holes or see if someone else wants a pair for a Pi-Hole setup within the family...

Further ideas welcome!

Soldato
got a whole bunch of rp2040-zero boards now, will be using them for making controllers for the arcade machine i have planned for the future. gonna make a 4 player cab so these will come in handy.

Associate
I bought my first Pi a couple months back, a RaspberryPi Zero 2. It's still in it's wrapper untouched as I've been too busy to figure out what to do with it, was planning to use it for Pihole but need to figure out what to buy and then how to set it up etc and just not had the time :(

Back
Top Bottom