how much is your house insurance

Soldato
I was looking for our travel insurance documents and whilst searching I saw an email from Axa about our home insurance renewal and that I'd canceled the auto renewal. In August! Don't tell Nationwide! Did a renewal quote and they want £1100. :cry:

I expect it's quite expensive as I added three watches (2x Rolex, 1x Bremont) to the policy in and out of home, might look into insuring them elsewhere if that's having a huge effect.

Thought I saw someone make this thread and looking through it doesn't seem that the price is that bad.

Modern house, 4 bed, nothing else crazy on the policy.

Got myself my first Rolex, very used and worn the other day because birthday and it only dawned on me that i should get it insured. Seeing your renewal quotes has kinda shocked me! I have a Tag Calibre and this Rolex now which i need to insure.

I'm with LV insurance, my car and home insurance is on the same policy so hoping for abit of discount. Currently paying £245 with the TAG on it, dreading what it will be with the Rolex added!

Soldato
I paid £195 last July for building & contents which included home emergency assistance and legal cover.

I've just had my stinky poo poo blocked sewer flushed again under the home assistance cover so that element has paid for itself. :)

Soldato
I'm suspicious...

Just had the renewal letter come through from Halifax, and it's gone down rather than up! (only by £20, but still). Will compare to last years in detail later on, but a quick skim over and can't see any differences.

£365 for 3 bed terrace, £100 excess, including accidental damage to both buildings and contents, and £2k of cover for items away from home.

Includes a few high value items including my £5k PC and about £10k of the wife's jewellery

Do you declare your PC as a single item?

Considering mine was built in bits & pieces with upgrades over the years, I'd treat it as multiple items rather than a single entity (doesn't really matter as it's not quite over the £2k single item threshold anyway, more for curiosity sake).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm suspicious...

Just had the renewal letter come through from Halifax, and it's gone down rather than up! (only by £20, but still). Will compare to last years in detail later on, but a quick skim over and can't see any differences.

£365 for 3 bed terrace, £100 excess, including accidental damage to both buildings and contents, and £2k of cover for items away from home.

Do you declare your PC as a single item?

Considering mine was built in bits & pieces with upgrades over the years, I'd treat it as multiple items rather than a single entity (doesn't really matter as it's not quite over the £2k single item threshold anyway, more for curiosity sake).

With mine I have to declare items like PC's over a grand... So I just wrote down 'gaming pc and high end monitor... 2grand...
I assume that's good enough...?

Soldato
Just got a new policy for our 4 bed detached house from One Call, £311 including additional £2k PC and jewelry cover for each, accidental damage for contents and building plus emergency repair cover.
Directline wanted £200 more..

Last edited:
Soldato
With mine I have to declare items like PC's over a grand... So I just wrote down 'gaming pc and high end monitor... 2grand...
I assume that's good enough...?

Well, if it includes the monitor then I'd have to declare it, and if it was bought as a bundle then fair enough, but if you start including peripherals, then what about the mouse, mousepad, keyboard, external sound card, headphones, speakers etc.

Soldato
Well, if it includes the monitor then I'd have to declare it, and if it was bought as a bundle then fair enough, but if you start including peripherals, then what about the mouse, mousepad, keyboard, external sound card, headphones, speakers etc.

Well exactly... pc speakers, say £100, say another hunderd for mouse and keyboard, Then there's printer, xbox controller etc, etc, it soon adds up.. I dunno how granular you have to be before they would get funny about a pay-out.
I'm thinking next time I need to create a full inventory spreadsheet for all my contents, maybe with an attached video from a slow walk around the house with the phone to support it?

Soldato
Well exactly... pc speakers, say £100, say another hunderd for mouse and keyboard, Then there's printer, xbox controller etc, etc, it soon adds up.. I dunno how granular you have to be before they would get funny about a pay-out.
I'm thinking next time I need to create a full inventory spreadsheet for all my contents, maybe with an attached video from a slow walk around the house with the phone to support it?

Seems sensible, even if only for your own benefit as a reminder of what to claim for, e.g. in a fire. Can guarantee I'd probably forget at least a couple of £k worth of stuff if we ever had to claim for the entire contents of the house!

Soldato
Mine is due soon. Year before last I paid £310. Last year, I insured with a 5 star defaqto rated insurer and upped the contents cover and individual items. So roughly, accidental building and contents, up to £1mil building, £20k outbuilding, £150k contents, £16k of specified items, basic legal and home emergency cover included. £326.
Had the renewal through today and actually I couldn't find anywhere to beat it. It has gone up, £36 more for the next year. But that still comes in at £360. Happy with that.

Associate
I'm starting to think my area must be on a high risk list as our mid-terraced 3 bed house is £575, up from about £350 last year and was going to auto renew around 700 before I shopped around to get the 575 policy, and that was one of the best I could find. Buildings only too!

Soldato
4 bed end of terrace, ex council, flat roof/PRC construction.
Last year's B&C renewal was £1100+, so we ran a comparison and M&S gave excellent cover at £750.
This is £1M Buildings cover, £100k contents with specified items: Wife's engagement & eternity rings, my watches, wheelchair & power attachment (£15k to replace both!). Higher limits on electronics & other items, too.

We usually get a discount when bringing our pet policy over (3x Persian Exotics & my service dog).

Doesn't help that we live in the middle of Portsmouth's most notorious council estate, but 90% of our neighbours are decent. We also had a 15% discount for having 360° CCTV and a rated floor safe for all jewellery/watches.

Commissario
we live in a 5 bed detached house,

Just had the renewal quote through @ £574 for the year, is this normal or does it seem high ?

cover wise is pretty normal we don't have a lot of valuables, no jewellery, just electronics (laptop, TV, ipads, computer etc.)
IIRF about 500 last year.

800 this year, 3 bed with a 2 room extension and a garage.

It seems insurance generally has gone nuts this year as I think car insurance has also gone up massively having had a look at the car insurance thread in motors the other week.

It possibly hasn't helped we're in a "flood area" and it seems that because the council have allowed a bunch of houses to be built lower than the known flood level everyone in the area is now getting increases (although I will be fair, our garage, which is around 50cm lower than the house did almost flood the other week, when we had the highest water level ever recorded, certainly in 50+ years).

Back
Top Bottom