how smart has your home gone?

Soldato
Found the issue :cry: :cry:

ray0X3G.jpg

(sensor just out of shot, right hand side).

Associate
Only in TV room

1 x Echo 5
4 x cheap wifi bulbs

That's it. She refuses to have any of it in the rest of the house. Closet thing would be the wireless dimmer switches (not smart/no app) in the kitchen.

Soldato
Has anyone ever had issues with the Hue outdoor sensor? It seems to be triggering constantly - or at least, the light is behaving like it has been triggered constantly:

fkxM7Ik.png

I dropped my sensitivity down to minimum as it kept triggering my outside light even when no-one was walking past. I think that's done the trick nicely and now only picks up when someone really is at the end of the drive.

Soldato
Getting fairly excited to start on this. We move into a new rental on the 3rd and so can dig out my old Hue bulbs and start to slowly get things configured. Is a raspberry pi still the preferred route? I saw this which seemed recommended

Or is it worth getting an Intel NUC type device?

Benefit of the Pi is that i've already got one running Volumio for music and so i figured i could buy a double case to keep things neater.

Soldato
I've got mine running in a VM in a NUC style thing - HP Elitedesk with a Ryzen 3400G. It uses 18W continuously so not quite as low as a Pi, but it's got tons of power left over for others VMs/tasks. Feels a bit more stable than anything I've ever run on a Pi - never ever struggles or crashes, and comes back on by itself after a power cut.

Soldato
I've got mine running in a VM in a NUC style thing - HP Elitedesk with a Ryzen 3400G. It uses 18W continuously so not quite as low as a Pi, but it's got tons of power left over for others VMs/tasks. Feels a bit more stable than anything I've ever run on a Pi - never ever struggles or crashes, and comes back on by itself after a power cut.

I think this is partly my thinking, if i can have a few VM's on it, then i could replace the Pi with Volumio

Soldato
You don't have to do any automation with HA. But it has certainly decommissioned like 20 other apps (hue, Peugeot, bright, Reolink, Tapo, govee to name a few).
I get that but in my experience having loads of hue bulbs set into rooms, smartthings motion sensors, echos, cameras etc (ie a lot of volume but nothing crazy) the level of attention I needed to pay to make something sort of work was just not worth it. It felt like I was basically geeking out for myself and risking my other half never speaking to me again.

Soldato
Getting fairly excited to start on this. We move into a new rental on the 3rd and so can dig out my old Hue bulbs and start to slowly get things configured. Is a raspberry pi still the preferred route? I saw this which seemed recommended

Or is it worth getting an Intel NUC type device?

Benefit of the Pi is that i've already got one running Volumio for music and so i figured i could buy a double case to keep things neater.
The pi are underpowered until you get to second hand NUC money. I bought a cheap HP till computer from members market. Unsure on power but it isn't a lot. I did have a virtual box vm but Bluetooth was garbage

Soldato
The pi are underpowered until you get to second hand NUC money. I bought a cheap HP till computer from members market. Unsure on power but it isn't a lot. I did have a virtual box vm but Bluetooth was garbage

Funnily enough i only yesterday saw this on the Spanish equivalent of HUDK

Although looking around it seems it a fairly standard price, doesn't seem much more than a Pi once you add in various added modules. I assume you just add a Zigbee USB adaptor on?

Last edited:
Soldato
Funnily enough i only yesterday saw this on the Spanish equivalent of HUDK

Although looking around it seems it a fairly standard price, doesn't seem much more than a Pi once you add in various added modules. I assume you just add a Zigbee USB adaptor on?
I use Hue for lights so haven't needed ZigBee. I prefer my hybrid setup - hue for lights, hive for energy, the rest are internet connected but can locally communicate with HA (govee, Reolink).

Last edited:
Soldato
Zigbee is a great ecosystem to have from the off as it opens up the use of wide range of low powered devices and widgets. I’d get it from the beginning so it’s installed and ready to use as and when you need it. It also means that you can use the likes of Hue and Hive without requiring hubs, though you do lose access to those ecosystems

Last edited:
Soldato
With Home Assistant you can combine devices from various ecosystems to work together eg I have Hue bulbs (on Hue) that can be manually turned off using a zigbee switch. I also have three presence sensors in my living room all on different systems (one wired, one WiFi and one on zigbee) that turn on Hue lights on detecting motion

Soldato
Cheers.

Because i'm thick. Am i right in thinking the best option here is

1 - Buy an Intel NUC mini pc
2 - Install Ubuntu
3 - Install HA via a docker

That leaves me open to installing more systems via dockers in the future (such as Volumio) rather than using the device solely for HA?

Back
Top Bottom