• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
Hey Guys!

I've recently tried to overclock my MSI 7850 PE above the 1050 Mhz. But whenever i apply the unofficial overclocking in MSI Afterburner i get screen tearing all over. Even if i choose to have lower settings than 1050Mhz, no matter what i change i get it.

So how do i solve this?

Don't do the unofficial method.

Do this instead.

Associate
Soon to upgrade my 4870 to a new 7850 or used 7870 for roughly the same price...

which would be the better card to achieve an amazing OC using the Asus gpu tweaker program.

Sapphire 7850 (core or oc edition, not that it should matter)
MSI 7850 power edition
Sapphire 7870 (used condition)

I like the sound of 7950 performance for ~£150

Associate
Hy guys,

I have an XFX 7850 1Gb card and i would change the VDDC , but the moddet bios files are for an 2gb Card.
Have someone a Bios for the 1gb Version?

Greets

Greets

Soldato
I just got a VTX 7850. Its factory clocked to 1000/1225. Played with clocking in CCC, 1100 seems fairly happy, 1150 craps out pretty quickly. I then went onto the memory and got upto 1500 safely, but 1550 crapped out.

So I then started to see about voltages, AB & ASUS dont allow voltage adjustment for me. Trixx indicates I'm already at 1210! and doesnt allow any higher.

It seems not only is it factory clocked, its also factory volted. Temps were good though, never hit 60c in Heaven, compared to 95c of my 6770!

Which BIOS allows more volts?

Edit:
Well thats dissappointing. Must have an extremely poor clocker here. 1100 doesnt last in 3DMark, so its back to 1050. I tried the Asus BIOS but no boot so had to flash back. The ASIC is 77% too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

I used to use Asus GPU tool to OC my HIS 7850 2GB. I was able to get 1200 from the core at 1.165 volts. For some reason after a driver upgrade (cant remember which but was some time ago) I lost the ability to go over 1050 in the Asus tool so ended up switching to Saphire Trixx which is fine although I am only able to achieve a stable max of 1150 on the core. My main annoyance however is that I have to switch profiles when I play a game, I run below stock when not gaming and on the Asus tool it was able to do this automatically.

I haven't really put much thought into it as I didn't game that frequently but now playing Crysis 3 and the constant profile switching is annoying. Am currently running the 13.1 Latest official drivers I believe.

Can anyone offer a solution?

Associate
^ here is what I do
before I uninstall current driver to install a newer driver
I go into asus gpu tweak and untick the "run when system boot to desktop"
close the asus program and proceed with driver update
I do this step because the asus program got bugged months ago when it cannot recognize the newer driver install and you can't open or close it even with task manager ... just stuck there after desktop autorun

after you get everything back and ready ... run the asus program again
retick "run when windows boot to desktop"
click advanced mode > settings > tuning > enable overclocking range enhancement
now this won't work at the first click ... you need to disable > enable > disable > enable
go back to the tuning page and click your stored profile number 1 .... redo your custom fan profile if it was erased

Last edited:
Associate
Ihave now an Accelero Twin Turbo II an my clocks are

a.gif

VDDC = 1.225V

I need an VDDC Unlocked bios for an 1gb card, please if someone have this unlocked bios upload it :)
Thanks in advance

Associate
See this thread please
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18493005

A qoute
hey guys i need help all ati bios editors are not compatible with the 7xx series.
So now i have tryed to hex edit modd my bios but i dont want to brik my card.

I need an bios mod for higher VDCC i have an Accelero Twin Turbo II cooler an and vddc limit from 1.225.

I hope someone can help me ,greets and thanks in advance

i have tested msi afterburner (dont unlock vddc modus /xcl etc dont help)
Asus gpu tool and trixx are vdcc 1.225 end
which tools can you say me? give it a tool who the vddcc more then 1.225 is???

SOrry for bad english im german

Soldato
OP
Is it unwise to overclock on a stock cooler?

Cheers
No.

As long as you keep temps below 85deg and you have tested the clocks as stable, there is no reason not to overclock. AMD's own drivers allow overclocks within CCC, so they also believe it safe.

Associate
This could be a very long shot but could somebody either make a tutorial or link me to one of a Sapphire 7850 2GB having the stock cooler removed and a Accelero Twin Turbo II Pro fitted ?

or similar cooler (I'm used to my Noisy 4870 but I'd like some peace and quiet. :D ) .....

I'll be getting either a Sapphire 7850 or 7870 but I'm sure the process is the same, as the cooler is multi-card compatible

Major thanks to anyone who can help

Caporegime
This could be a very long shot but could somebody either make a tutorial or link me to one of a Sapphire 7850 2GB having the stock cooler removed and a Accelero Twin Turbo II Pro fitted ?

or similar cooler (I'm used to my Noisy 4870 but I'd like some peace and quiet. :D ) .....

I'll be getting either a Sapphire 7850 or 7870 but I'm sure the process is the same, as the cooler is multi-card compatible

Major thanks to anyone who can help

which sapphire are you buying? reference or aftermarket cooler?

cant speak for the stock coolers but the ones with aftermarket coolers dont get hot at all and you wont hear them

i have a 7850 msi twin frozr 3 clocked to 1050 core 1375 memory and hottest it gets is 60c and never ever hear the fan noise

Back
Top Bottom