HP Omen Owners?

Associate
frank_olaf;30476324 said:
Did you get the laptop yet or have you just ordered it? I've been looking at that one as well as the specs are very similar to the Omen but it has 16GB ram.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Really happy with it, ok i've only had it for just over a day but it's exactly what I was after. Just tried Total War Warhammer on it as that's something I intend tinkering with, on Ultra settings it stayed stable at 52fps.

It's an identical chassis to the Omen just different colour scheme, the keyboard is lit up with white LEDs, which you can toggle.

Very happy I returned the Omen 256gb for this.

Caporegime
Well, I just caved in and bought a HP OMEN 17-w260nz with GTX 1070. :o

IPS G-sync screen, good speakers, 'decent' build quality, strong processor, nice keyboard, and it's MILES cheaper than competing laptops that have a GTX 1070... I picked one up for £1500 (don't ask me where, non-EU). :eek:

Reviews generally seem decent too. http://www.pcworld.com/article/3131...reat-gaming-performance-at-a-great-price.html

Considering I was looking at laptops with 50% more in price for very similar specs it makes zero sense to pass this laptop up as it will last me a year or two and can then still be sold for a decent price before 1080 GTX prices settle to normal levels or the next parts are out. :cool:

Caporegime
ic1male;30483079 said:
That would be my ideal model, too. It seems it's for the Swiss market only though. There isn't a model like that listed on the HP UK store.

Interesting, what is the closest UK equivalent?

Caporegime
ic1male;30483284 said:
Almost the same but half the memory (8GB instead of 16GB and half the SSD size 128GB instead of 256GB) for £1499 IIRC.

Ahh, I see. I will sell the SSD anyway most likely as it's too small to be of any real use to me. I'll use the SATA port for my 1TB SSD.

Looking forward to seeing how it performs... shame the arrow keys aren't full size though. :)

Associate
partycan;30482981 said:
Really happy with it, ok i've only had it for just over a day but it's exactly what I was after. Just tried Total War Warhammer on it as that's something I intend tinkering with, on Ultra settings it stayed stable at 52fps.

It's an identical chassis to the Omen just different colour scheme, the keyboard is lit up with white LEDs, which you can toggle.

Thanks for the update.

Is the fan loud when you are gaming?

Caporegime
Had a play with an Omen 17 in a local store. Build quality seems ok, speakers passable, screen decent, but the keyboard and touchpad is a definite step down (key travel is far less satisfying, no full-size enter key or up/down arrow keys)) from my ASUS G751. It is much slimmer than my ASUS though, hope there are no big heat issues. However I'm sure it will do the job fine for what I need it for for the next year or so until new gaming laptop models come out that fit my needs. :)

partycan;30482981 said:

Is it a GTX 1050? I'm surprised if it runs TWW at 50+ on all Ultra settings, my 980m struggles massively with that in big battles!

Associate
frank_olaf said:
Thanks for the update.

Is the fan loud when you are gaming?

I haven't played any games for too long, did do some handbrake video encoding earlier and although you can hear it, it certainly isn't distracting.

Richdog said:
Is it a GTX 1050? I'm surprised if it runs TWW at 50+ on all Ultra settings, my 980m struggles massively with that in big battles!

Yes a GTX 1050 2GB, In all honesty I ran the benchmark test in setup, didn't get chance to play it as i've only just bought it on the humble monthly offer :)

I've no idea how much of a difference it makes actually playing a game

Caporegime
partycan;30484131 said:
Yes a GTX 1050 2GB, In all honesty I ran the benchmark test in setup, didn't get chance to play it as i've only just bought it on the humble monthly offer :)

I've no idea how much of a difference it makes actually playing a game

Ahh, then the real-world results will be very different. :)

Soldato
Just placed an order for a HP Omen 15-ax202na at £799, with 10% off first credit purchase at 0%. Can't quite believe this deal, as it going to be £719 delivered.

Caporegime
Did the initial OS install and Ihave noticed something very weird... when I play music or Youtube videos I get regular strange beeping and distortion sounds from the laptop as though there is a sound driver problem or something.

Anyone else had this? :confused:

Associate
neocon;30493783 said:
Just placed an order for a HP Omen 15-ax202na at £799, with 10% off first credit purchase at 0%. Can't quite believe this deal, as it going to be £719 delivered.

That's stunning price when compared to the competition.

Good for you mate.

Caporegime
Richdog;30494014 said:
Did the initial OS install and Ihave noticed something very weird... when I play music or Youtube videos I get regular strange beeping and distortion sounds from the laptop as though there is a sound driver problem or something.

Anyone else had this? :confused:

Does it do it just in those apps or on games (or even any sound) as well?

Caporegime
ic1male;30494115 said:
Does it do it just in those apps or on games (or even any sound) as well?

Havent had chance to try anything but quick youtube videos yet, and so far its been in those only. Will re-test when I get home tomorrow and try some games etc.

HaX

HaX

Associate
I'm considering getting a HP Omen 15 with a 1050 Ti in it. How are the screens on these? The nearest competitor (Dell Inspiron 7000 gaming) is renowned for having a poor quality screen.

Does the same shortcoming apply to the Omens too?

Back
Top Bottom