I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Associate
Howdy.

A while back I posted about a laser cutter I got and rebuilt and made some neat stuff with.

Well now it is time to print in 3D rather than cut stuff.

Behold the printer

cimg2838l.jpg

tis amazing - the prints are ace quality about 0.2mm resolution.

cimg2826m.jpg

One of the first prints

cimg2828y.jpg

I wonder if it will be as cool as the laser - but I bet making bits on both will yield some amazing stuff!

Associate
OP
Is it cheaper to buy new ink/gubbings or just buy a new printer?

Epson have stonking deal on.

Lol, it uses ABS plastic. £40 for enough to do 30 odd models.

It prints by laying down 0.2mm layers of abs plastic to build up the object. So it does actually print things out.

The big pro ones are £30k upwards.

Associate
OP
Yoda!

yodaj.jpg

Still working out the settings for best results, but in reality that yoda is sweet, you can see all the bumps and detail of skin.

My camera is not that good, I should go and get the DSLR out really.

Associate
OP
At my local hacker space we are building a rep-rap mendal.

As much as I like the DIY route, I need to prototype products that I design, so I use the 3D printer to make bits my laser or hand making are too tricky to do.

So rather then get a DIY one, I opted to go the prefab route. At the end of the day I do the work in CAD then hit print - simples! No mucking about.

Associate
OP
I have one of the first makerbots (#28), it requires far too many parts to upgrade it now though! Im tempted to buy a thing-o-matic. Though that looks like a decent little printer!

I remember you posting when you got yours.

This one is ace, although I am experimenting with different bonding material to stop warping. So far Acetate is the best but I have yet to figure out a way to clap it easily to the platform.

Back to blue masking tape for now to test again.

Associate
OP
I just ordered some pla plastic which apparently smells like cooking sugar when printing - yum.

Also means as it melts at a lower temp I can print some pretty big things with less supports needed.

I need to do a time-lapse of it printing something.

Associate
OP
Hi,

I know of a few people who want to print wax for casting. I have no idea on this, so can't be of much help :( I print abs or pla as I need plastic parts only.

Associate
OP
you need a 3d model usually and stl file like 3dmax produces
you can make this your self or go to thingieverse where people share theirs

Howdy,

I use 3DMAX to create the models I print. Not ideal as mine are mostly engineering prototypes. 3D MAX can do this but it is not ideal.

Currently I am looking at SolidWorks.

Associate
OP
The DLP printer looks very nice, and will give awesome results.

It is a simple method, a bit like laser sintering. Just expose the resin to the shape and it solidifies.

it is a bit like an additive process, that all the printers use.

Be that adding material, or a binder to build up the model.

It all comes down to the cost of the resin. A projector and other hardware should be fairly cheap.

Associate
OP
I guess having a 3D printer depends on what you actually want to do with the stuff you print.

You could just get one for the lols, and print out stuff you find on thingverse.

I use mine for work in product design. I always have to make prototype, so sometimes I use it for jobs that my other tools can't do efficiently.

Sometimes it is just used to make some parts of products. I have made some fully working things with it, but in theory I could have lasered it.

Just recently I have been making up some motor - wheel shaft adapters, as the CAD is super simple and it is a few mins job. I could do it on the laser, but it will be a longer process as the sheets have to be glued etc. This will make them less strong.

The biggest part to any of these tools is what you get them to make.

The magic is in the design you make, not the output - that is just a facilitator. CAD is the key - be that 2D or 3D.

My Up Printer that started this thread is still used quite a bit, I am finding out the dos and don'ts of 3D printing.

Associate
OP
Mind sharing some of them? I'm looking for a printer stiill, the ultimaker currently has my eye.

My most valuable tip is don't print in the summer, cos along with all the rest of the PC gear the room gets very warm indeed!

Can't have the aircon or any fans on as the cold airflow can cause the print to warp!

Seriously to' the best way is to find out by playing with one. You soon start creating CAD that specifically fits your machines limits.

Back
Top Bottom