I want a Plasma TV again!

Soldato
Indeed everyone that sees my 51inch F8500 comments on how good the picture quality is. As an added bonus it is very bright too. So doesn't require a darker room. It has been repaired twice though including a new panel, still 3.5 years left on warranty. Was a bargain for £1200

Soldato
I've got a Panasonic TX-P42V10 Plasma that i've had for 6 or 7 years now. The picture is great, particularly in THX mode. But like a lot of us, i am craving something bigger. Trouble is though, i don't see as much improvement in the picture quality with new sets as i do with improvement is screen size. A big issue for me, because i really would love a much bigger screen.

Caporegime
Yeah, those moving modular TVs were probably the highlight of CES for me. Linus' suggestion to use the modules to alternately form either a 16:9 or 21:9 screen depending on the aspect ratio of the video content seems like the most viable use for this technology.

It would always cost more than a larger 16:9 display and you'd lose the black bars if the panel were OLED, so I can't see it ever having a viable use in the home. The selling point is that it can move around, which is useful for digital art type installations, and it's modular and borderless which is good for signage.

Caporegime
I've got a Panasonic TX-P42V10 Plasma that i've had for 6 or 7 years now. The picture is great, particularly in THX mode. But like a lot of us, i am craving something bigger. Trouble is though, i don't see as much improvement in the picture quality with new sets as i do with improvement is screen size. A big issue for me, because i really would love a much bigger screen.

This is why I upgraded to a 50" GT50 from a 42" PZ85B.

The difference in PQ wasn't big at all but 50" is a must nowadays. Next tv will be 55"+.

V F

V F

Soldato
Got my last plasma 2 years ago, really not looking forward to upgrading to led/lcd/oled whatever is going at the time.

A lot of Kuro owners have complained how bad the motion is on LG's OLEDs. They don't like it at all.

Soldato
I have a Panasonic VT series plasma and it's awesome, but the ZT series - the last - is supposed to be even better.

when we moved house - I treated myself to an upgrade from our 42 inch "Pro" Panasonic Plasma

I had a choice of a 4k LCD or a ZT60

I picked the 60ZT60 :) bought one of the last ones available

... it arrived on a pallet - haha

only negative is the power consumption

Soldato
maybe - its somewhere north of 250W

so 10+ hours a day, about £150 a year in electricity

I'd still not swap it though :) I don't think I'd even swap it for an OLED - I think OLEDs suffer resolution wise in movement

Last edited:
Caporegime
imm sure i read somewhere that they could buy a new tv and what he would save in electric would pay for his new tv within 5 yrs :eek:

BS see below

maybe - its somewhere north of 250W

so 10+ hours a day, about £150 a year in electricity

I'd still not swap it though :) I don't think I'd even swap it for an OLED - I think OLEDs suffer resolution wise in movement

10+ hours a day? Anybody who works/has a social life/goes out maybe watches a maximum of 2-6 hours you would think per day.

So £30-75 a year and tbh a 60" LCD isn't going to be free to run either the price difference really is negligible and stupid every time I hear it I think you have to be mental to think it's not worth an extra £20-£40 a year to watch a far superior tv.

I don't think i've ever met one person who chose a tv based on the fact it doesn't use much electricity otherwise they would all own 21"-32" LCD's.

To buy a 60" tv with the picture quality of a ZT is going to cost at least £2K. So it would take 100+ years of saving to buy it with electricity costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
BS see below

10+ hours a day? Anybody who works/has a social life/goes out maybe watches a maximum of 2-6 hours you would think per day.

So £30-75 a year and tbh a 60" LCD isn't going to be free to run either the price difference really is negligible and stupid every time I hear it I think you have to be mental to think it's not worth an extra £20-£40 a year to watch a far superior tv.

I don't think i've ever met one person who chose a tv based on the fact it doesn't use much electricity otherwise they would all own 21"-32" LCD's.

To buy a 60" tv with the picture quality of a ZT is going to cost at least £2K. So it would take 100+ years of saving to buy it with electricity costs.

10 hours a day is probably conservative estimate ! - 4 of us in the house

ok had to check - less than I thought

3300 hours on it - we bought it 17 months ago

so on average 6.5 hours per day - approx

Caporegime
10 hours a day is probably conservative estimate ! - 4 of us in the house

ok had to check - less than I thought

3300 hours on it - we bought it 17 months ago

so on average 6.5 hours per day - approx

wow my guess was nearly bang on and based on a couple didn't even think of kids, etc. You have to factor in lifestyles too. You go away on holiday 3-4 times a year then that's a full month without switching it on.

thing is I so rarely get to use the TV (wife, kids ....) - that I've moved all my consoles to the study/computer room

:(

same, my GT50 gets used for crap on netflix/prime video whilst I game on a U2414H now on my PS4 and XB1.

I wouldn't game on the plasma anyway image retention ;)

I will however within the next few months buy a 32-55" LCD for gaming on since the U2414H only has 2 HDMI ins and I need 3. I might even just buy another U2414H so I can use dual screens on the PC and the other input for either console.

Last edited:
Soldato
wow my guess was nearly bang on and based on a couple didn't even think of kids, etc.

same, my GT50 gets used for crap on netflix/prime video whilst I game on a U2414H now on my PS4 and XB1.

I wouldn't game on the plasma anyway image retention ;)

I will however within the next few months buy a 32-55" LCD for gaming on.

haha my gaming monitor is a Dell 2407 :)

been tempted to likewise get a LCD just for gaming upstairs - something like a 50 4k set- but to be honest the 2407 is fine from only 5 inches away

Soldato
I've got a 42 inch PF11 Plasma - which I've been tempted to use upstairs- but its not really an appropriate dedicated gaming monitor

its been round the back of the sofa for 15 months - lol - and was fully colour calibrated

its worth so little - maybe I should use it for gaming and worst case it gets some IR/screen burn (although the Pro sets are a bit more resilient)

I don't like selling old decent hifi/AV kit ... I recently moved upstairs my Pioneer AX10Ai which I replaced 6 months ago - its now being used in the study - complete overkill, and warms the room up (I measured that @ 125W idle)

was a faff moving upstairs as the amp weighs 35kg !

I bought the PF11 and AX10Ai both second hand - shows that good quality stuff lasts - the amp was built in 2004 and I've had to replace one fuse (it mechanically broke rather than "blew")

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why I upgraded to a 50" GT50 from a 42" PZ85B.

The difference in PQ wasn't big at all but 50" is a must nowadays. Next tv will be 55"+.

Well, yesterday i finally bit the bullet and parted with the dosh for an LG 65EF950V (gulp :eek:) 65 inches of OLED flat screen goodness. It should be delivered on saturday, i just hope i don't come to regret it. The old Panny can now see out it's days in the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom