• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-13700KF upgrade

Associate
Hi I've found myself in a weird position in that ill have to consider upgrading my i7-13700KF CPU not that long after upgrading it already not to long ago.
the reason i need to upgrade it again is that currently i have 4 monitors and i need to add a 5th monitor which will have to be via the onboard hdmi slot in the MB ( 2 monitors for desktop pc usage and then 3 more for a sim racing setup ), but ofc as it turns out my latest upgrade i went for the KF not thinking i would ever need the onboard graphics.
anyways my current MB is an LGA 1700 socket ( Gigabyte z790 Gaming ) and as far as i can tell it can support the 14th gen CPU , is my best upgrade option to get the i7-14700K ?? and wouldn't that enable me to enable the onboard HDMI Slot on the MB.

Associate
OP
HDMI via USB not an option?
i have a small usb c >> hdmi adapter that allowed me to run a monitor from my lap top , i tried that in my PC tonight and it never worked , so i assumed it did not work due to the CPU not having onboard graphics support, or am i wrong and it should still work being the KF chip

Man of Honour
and as far as i can tell it can support the 14th gen CPU , is my best upgrade option to get the i7-14700K ?? and wouldn't that enable me to enable the onboard HDMI Slot on the MB.
You'd gain 4 E-Cores at least.., but I'm sure you know already the 'upgrade' is very mild.

Do you have a spare graphics card, even some old thing like a GT 710?

Soldato
You should be able to stick in a second cheap GPU if you have space and then set your primary to process everything game wise.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £83.99 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Cheapest on OCUK, but anything cheap with the right ports should pretty much do, I'd look for a basic second hand card.

I do believe that you can daisy chain DP to an extent but I think NV limits would set you under your required number, if you're running an AMD GPU it should offer you 6 displays while NV offers 4 but I'm not 100% on this so be sure to read into it before pulling the plug.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You'd gain 4 E-Cores at least.., but I'm sure you know already the 'upgrade' is very mild.

I

Thanks i never thought on trying this as i assumed it would bottle neck my RTX 4080 , but anyway i have a Radeon HD6450 ( very minimal ist and requires no power connectors ) ,, ive conected it up and yay i have all 5 of my monitors working without unplugging stuff , just the one thing to check now is does it effect my sim gameplay , but its too late tonight to launch the sim , so ill check tomorrow , thanks for the simple overlooked solution if all works :)

Associate
OP
You should be able to stick in a second cheap GPU if you have space and then set your primary to process everything game wise.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £83.99 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

Cheapest on OCUK, but anything cheap with the right ports should pretty much do, I'd look for a basic second hand card.

I do believe that you can daisy chain DP to an extent but I think NV limits would set you under your required number, if you're running an AMD GPU it should offer you 6 displays while NV offers 4 but I'm not 100% on this so be sure to read into it before pulling the plug.
Thanks for the link,, as Tetras suggested ive tried an old Radeon HD 6450 that i had in an old media server :)

Man of Honour
I didn't realise you could do this either
The main reason why I wouldn't normally recommend it is because without passthrough you're stuck with whatever card is powering that monitor, or in other words: the OP can't game on the 2 desktop monitors, but since they're only being used for desktop use and not gaming, it doesn't matter in this instance :)

Associate
OP
The main reason why I wouldn't normally recommend it is because without passthrough you're stuck with whatever card is powering that monitor, or in other words: the OP can't game on the 2 desktop monitors, but since they're only being used for desktop use and not gaming, it doesn't matter in this instance :)
Yip in this case it should work fine for me , as I will only be using the monitor powered by that card to watch YouTube on or other websites or windows explorer etc etc. Any games will be played on my main 32" display or the triple SIM set up ,( both powered by the 4080 ) , however I'm not sure how to ensure that the games use the horsepower from the 4080 , do I have to define that somewhere ? Nvidia control panel ?

Back
Top Bottom