Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Don
OP
Seems reasonable to assume that it's not The Volcano that's causing it as from watching the news it seems to suggest that the eruption there is calming down a bit. As to when and if Katla blows there's no precedent as far as I'm aware to draw any real reliable conclusions from it.

Don
OP
I've made it back, just. Delayed at Denver by half hour due to a plane hogging our departure gate due to no flight crew. Meant we got into Chicago with only 20mins to spare, where we then got delayed for an hour as the planes radios went down and needed replaced (squeaky bum time as I was thinking we would be cancelled and put back to the queue getting back - sometime in May!). Arrived at Heathrow in reasonable time, but due to the previous delay we now didn't have a gate to park up at meaning we missed our flight to Aberdeen, put on standby on the next flight but thankfully plenty of seats so got up the road no problem.

What shocked me was the amount of empty seats on the Chicago - London leg, I reckon there was at least a couple of dozen empty seats, all the while the airline is saying 6th of May was the earliest.

Don
OP
Why do the American flights need to be detoured? Can't they just fly above the ash cloud?
The ash cloud over the atlantic affects all flight altitudes according to the map. Due to the curvature of the Earth it probably isn't that big a detour - flights over the Atlantic tend to go that anyway as it means they're closer to alternative airfields in case of emergency.

Back
Top Bottom