Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
Surely with the tech we have, us in the UK would be able to live, it'll be places like Africa where they all die?

Urm... I think the rich west is more vulnerable than the poor south. Our systems are more complex, more fragile etc. Read up about systems, resilience, modes of failure etc.

4p

4p

Soldato
Picture a city the size of LA, little smaller than London.

Picture that city being a cauldron of Magma, with a thin layer of crust just sitting ontop of it, that be Yellowstones Caldera.

Pop pop bam.

Soldato
its not too far from Las Vegas, watch 2012, super cool special effects of it going off....looks quite awesome....wouldnt want it to happen though.

Caporegime
Also i'd watch out for Long Valley Caldera (under Mammoth, California), it's been showing more and more activity recently, they even had to shut off the hot springs because they have become too hot... ;)

Soldato
so, yellowstone eruption will destroy civilisation then?

Yes...

some small pockets of humans would survive most likely but it would be back to iron age living for a long time. The world would most likely enter an ice age and there would be huge problems finding food and clean water over most of the planet. Technology would only help so much...

The "masses" would perrish and the lucky ( unlucky in my view ) few would survive by being in places that are remote and largely unspoilt by ash. They would have to eek out a living growing what they can with the limited sunlight and hunting or farming animals for food and clothing.

Soldato
Yes...

some small pockets of humans would survive most likely but it would be back to iron age living for a long time. The world would most likely enter an ice age and there would be huge problems finding food and clean water over most of the planet. Technology would only help so much...

The "masses" would perrish and the lucky ( unlucky in my view ) few would survive by being in places that are remote and largely unspoilt by ash. They would have to eek out a living growing what they can with the limited sunlight and hunting or farming animals for food and clothing.

that sounds pretty horrific. so i guess that seed bank will come in handy one day?

Soldato
The upward movement of the Yellowstone caldera floor—almost 3 inches (7.6 cm) each year

Scary stuff :D

i guess a lot of people (like myself) are unaware that this is happening. it is pretty scary thinking of it. oh man im gonna miss technology so much, thats assuming i survive! heh..

Back
Top Bottom