Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Soldato
Here's Friday's chart. Can't see much flying in the UK tomorrow, apart from the gap towards the north west maybe.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271374304.png

I'll be interested to see what gaps there are in the supermarket this weekend and into next week. No fresh flowers, fruit and veg from Kenya, Senegal... Does the Spanish salad stuff all come by truck these days or fly? Are the trucks going to get through or will the ferries and Eurostar be jammed this weekend?

What else is imported by air? Anyone expecting a MacBook!?

Last edited:
Soldato
Watching this on the news just now. They interviewed some guy who said:
"Why is there a delay? There is no ash at ground level, so i cant see why there would be a delay?"

Cant even begin to comprehend what he is thinking.

Why can planes not fly BELOW the level of the ash again?

Man of Honour
The ash can fall/rise/move etc, commercial planes fly at varied heights depending on where they're going and location being flown over.

10,000 to 41,000 feet seems to be the norm doing a quick Google. I know my flight to Scotland was at around 39,000 feet @ 504MPH throughout most of the journey according to the Captains voiceover during the journey and the onscreen displays showing flight stats.

Soldato
Risk? Would you want to be on a plane that could potentially stall at any given moment. The ash is a major threat in safety terms...

There is no ash BELOW the ash cloud, hence why I said they fly below it.

It might not work long haul due to them needing the jet stream, but for shorter journeys they should manage surely

Soldato
There is no ash BELOW the ash cloud, hence why I said they fly below it.

It might not work long haul due to them needing the jet stream, but for shorter journeys they should manage surely

That would be assuming you're flying low enough as I believe onboard system will not detect this?
Edit: Yeah, you could make a "general rule" to fly below but that would be assuming.

Oh and don't forget when the ashfalls.

Last edited:
Associate
Air traffic controllers are still at their post even though they aren't doing anything because they have to be as the airspace is technically open.

I sincerely hope this doesn't drag on for too long. I remember during training being told that for every 48 hours that UK airspace is closed, X amount of airlines will go bust.

I can see area and terminal control sections at Swanwick being very quiet since there are virtually no pilots for ATC to talk to. I guess the controllers would have time to drink coffee and eat donuts :D

If this drags on for more than 48 hours, which airlines would go bust?

I'll be interested to see what gaps there are in the supermarket this weekend and into next week. No fresh flowers, fruit and veg from Kenya, Senegal... Does the Spanish salad stuff all come by truck these days or fly? Are the trucks going to get through or will the ferries and Eurostar be jammed this weekend?

What else is imported by air? Anyone expecting a MacBook!?

I'm just wondering what % of fruit and veg is by air freight. It can't be for fruit like oranges/bananas, etc?

Man of Honour
Latest from NATS, restrictions until 19:00:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Friday April 16, 0230

The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 1900 (UK time) today, Friday 16 April, at the earliest.

However, flights in Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow and Prestwick may be allowed up to 1300 (UK time) today, subject to individual co-ordination. North Atlantic traffic to and from Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast may also be allowed over the same period. We will review further Met Office information and at 0830 (UK time) we will advise on the arrangements that will be in place until 0100 (UK time) on Saturday, 17 April.

In general, the situation cannot be said to be improving with any certainty as the forecast affected area appears to be closing in from east to west. We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Latest Volcanic Ash Advisory:

vag1271374304.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
NATS update:

The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions preventing flights in English controlled airspace will remain in place until 0100 (UK time) tomorrow, Saturday 17 April, at the earliest.

:(

Man of Honour
Latest NATS update:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Friday April 16, 0830

The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions preventing flights in English controlled airspace will remain in place until 0100 (UK time) tomorrow, Saturday 17 April, at the earliest.

Flights in Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow and Prestwick will continue to be allowed until 1900 (UK time) subject to individual co-ordination. North Atlantic traffic to and from Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast may also be allowed in this period.

From 1900 (UK time), forecasts indicate that Scottish airspace may be able to accept domestic flights within Scotland and Northern/Southern Ireland, and North Atlantic flights to/from airports in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

We will review further Met Office information and at 1430 (UK time) we will advise further arrangements. In general, the situation is dynamic and subject to change.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

Associate
Not Good,:(

Regarding the large dust cloudd over London I heared the police are looking to question the person who cleeaned the Arsenal Trophy Cabinet :D

Soldato
Why can planes not fly BELOW the level of the ash again?

The lower they fly the more fuel they use so it wouldnt be economical or practical.

Also with the ash starting to fall on the ground presumably even taxing down the runway would be risky! :D

Back
Top Bottom