Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Caporegime
Bear in mind, when compared to this graph http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html which is the longer range version it doesn't seem as bad. The suggestion is it could be a bit of silica rich magma working it's way up to Eyjafjallajökull's crater and ready to erupt.

Again, the data shown on the graphs is not meant to be related to Katla at this time so no worries there.

Anyone interested should have a look at this blog http://scienceblogs.com/eruptions/2010/04/changes_in_the_eruption_at_eyj.php and at the comments. It's a site rrun by a volcanologist with quite a lot of very knowledgeable people on it.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;16396336 said:
Do any of you guys commenting on these graphs actually understand them enough to meaningfully interpret them? I certainly don't, but then I suspect neither do you chaps coming up with comments on them either.

I have no real knowledge myself either, still trying to research more into it, however there was a short discussion on the blog I linked to which is where i'm getting my information from. :)

EDIT: Another interesting graph here, pretty self explanatory too http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/eyja_allt.html

Still trying to find out where the locations shown on the original graph are actually positioned.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;16396336 said:
Do any of you guys commenting on these graphs actually understand them enough to meaningfully interpret them? I certainly don't, but then I suspect neither do you chaps coming up with comments on them either.

To an overly high degree, no, not even going to pretend to!

But reading them, the blogs, and what people have been saying all over the place, its not difficult to get a feel for things from what you see there.

But no, I'm obviously no expert, just like most here.

Caporegime
I guess even with this new ash cloud all might not be lost - seems like the test flights at the weekend went OK so perhaps they might start letting more planes fly later in the week regardless...

Associate
We are expecting aircraft into Stansted tommorow evening but all depends on this latest ash cloud.

From an engineers point of view I would n't want to be flying through it.

Man of Honour
Latest from NATS:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 0245

Since our last statement at 2100 (local time) yesterday, the volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK. This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working.

Latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation is variable. The information shows that Scottish airsports should be available from 0700 (local time) and more airspace over England may become available from 1300 (local time) although not as far south as the main London airports.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 0900 (local time), today, Tuesday 20 April.

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

Man of Honour
Latest Ash Advisory:

vag1271741319.jpg

Soldato
Well officially stranded now ... was supposed to fly back from Tokyo at 12:00 (local time).

Fortunately Thomas Cook currently have us in a decent hotel in Shinjuku and we can do what we want as long as we come to the scheduled information updates .... that's a lot better than being stuck in a hotel at the airport where it would cost ~£24 (3000Yen) each way to go into Tokyo ....

We have suggested flying into Spain or Italy and then traveling back to the UK through Europe but the decision is out of our hands.

Associate
Jesus, 3000Y is £24 now?! Exchange rate is shafted, when I went there we was doing the easy math of 1000Y = £5.

But I'd quite like to be stranded in Tokyo, that place is awesome. I can only imagine how nice it is this time of year... Enjoy it whilst you can!

Soldato
Jesus, 3000Y is £24 now?! Exchange rate is shafted, when I went there we was doing the easy math of 1000Y = £5.

But I'd quite like to be stranded in Tokyo, that place is awesome. I can only imagine how nice it is this time of year... Enjoy it whilst you can!

To true .... last time I was here it was £5=Y1000 .... :(

I can think of a lot worse places to be stuck ;)

Associate
What I don't get is they allow the airports in the north to open, yet these flights have to pass through the cloud to get anywhere.

PS. This video might be of interest to some. Describes the effects of a plane encountering volcanic ash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PSbpaEo_qs

Wrong.

All flights taking off from Scottish Airports are currently domestic (Storneway (sp?), Isle of Man and Aberdeen. A flight to Rejakvik in Iceland at 0900 BST was cancelled.

Soldato
This was taken from the volcanologist John Seach

Tuesday 20th April 2010
Eyjafjallajokull volcano, Iceland
Some flights over Europe are planned to resume today. The eruption of Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland has grounded flights over many parts of Europe for 5 days. The response is looking like an overreaction, as planes have regularly flown through volcanic ash clouds in other parts of the world for many years. With Eyjafjallajokull volcano possibly staying active for months or years, a more appropriate response will need to be found for the next occasion. The response will need to be based on science, and include a multi-disciplinary approach. Hopefully there will be increased funding for volcanology research as a result this eruption of Eyjafjallajokull volcano.

Back
Top Bottom