If I update to W11 can I put in on another drive?

Soldato
TLDR, running low on space on oldish W10 SSD - 120GB, i've only got about 12GB of prgrams on there, so god knows what's happening, I'd rather stay on W10 but moving it is a massive faff and I have no external drives.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you tried running disk clean up? see if this finds the cause of the lack of space or tried tree size free?

Soldato
Not defragging, disk clean-up. Run it, then choose Clean System Files and scroll through the list to see if anything on there is taking up a lot of space. You can usually safely delete any/all of them.

Tree Size Free is a program that shows you which files/folders are taking up the most space on your drives.

Soldato
OP
Not defragging, disk clean-up. Run it, then choose Clean System Files and scroll through the list to see if anything on there is taking up a lot of space. You can usually safely delete any/all of them.

Tree Size Free is a program that shows you which files/folders are taking up the most space on your drives.

Yeah done that too.

Soldato
OP
Managed to free up about 6.5 gig on an old Apple folder I didn't see without using tree-free, i'm at 8.8GB free now i'm - W10 is at about 58GB now, which seems high.

Soldato
Managed to free up about 6.5 gig on an old Apple folder I didn't see without using tree-free, i'm at 8.8GB free now i'm - W10 is at about 58GB now, which seems high.
Nice, you can stay on Windows 10 then if you wish.

If you do decide to go down the Windows 11 route I would use the current drive to update to Windows 11 and make sure its activated.

Once confirmed activated I would then do a clean install on a bigger drive and it should then activate via your Microsoft account or hardware ID once you have internet access.

Soldato
OP
Nice, you can stay on Windows 10 then if you wish.

If you do decide to go down the Windows 11 route I would use the current drive to update to Windows 11 and make sure its activated.

Once confirmed activated I would then do a clean install on a bigger drive and it should then activate via your Microsoft account or hardware ID once you have internet access.

Thanks, my boot drive SSD must be 10 years old now, so probably safer to move OS to something newer in the near future.

Soldato
If you prefer to stay on 10
Just buy a bigger ssd or get an m2 assuming
Motherboard supports one
Then clone your existing windows 10 drive to it

After time stuff builds up in certain places
Appdata and winsxs folders for example
And it's a bit dodgy
Deleting stuff in those
Which is probably why it's taking up more space

Soldato
OP
If you prefer to stay on 10
Just buy a bigger ssd or get an m2 assuming
Motherboard supports one
Then clone your existing windows 10 drive to it

After time stuff builds up in certain places
Appdata and winsxs folders for example
And it's a bit dodgy
Deleting stuff in those
Which is probably why it's taking up more space

I've got the drives already, a 1TB NVME and 2TB SSD. So i'll clone it.

Soldato
When running Disk Clean-up, did you run it as an administrator? When you run it normally, there will be a Clean up system files button on the bottom left - this is usually an indicator that you didn't run it as an administrator, but clicking the button has the same effect.

Have you upgraded Windows 10 in the past? If so, there might be upgrade files remaining that you could probably safely delete.

If possible, post screnshots from Treesize free. I'm gambling a large WinSxS folder in the Windows folder or forgotten about upgrade files, like Windows.old.

You might be able to get the size down further using some DISM commands.

Soldato
This issue of windows consuming more and more disk space over time I don't think there is anyway to avoid it entirely.

As far as I know the only ways realistically are, using a third party uninstaller for any applications to be removed, so REVO Uninstaller.
Run disc cleanup regular
Remove any restore points regular.
Remove hibernation file

That's about it to stop clutter as far as I know.

Another thing about Windows that grinds my gears, is all the foldrs created randomly by things such as XBGP, program files on other drives etc.. I want all my games in a single games folder.

Opening up the HDD folders is like opening the sh** drawer in the gouse.

Associate
If you got enough memory, disable or shrink the page file. Yoir ssd will thank you for it. Right click my computer and its in there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom