• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

~~~~~IMPORTANT SANDYBRIDGE OC INFO: Voltages & OC Guide!!~~~~~

Soldato
I dont think that I was encouraging OCUK in refusing to honour warranties. I commended them on their stance. I was concerned that the tone implied that whatever you did to the CPU would not affect the warranty and perhaps was a weakness to OCUK. Will this apply 2 years 11 months down the line? RMA is provided to protect against manufacturer fault not customer optimism. The major manufacturers will monitor their suppliers forums and possibly take a view on the statements made. Whilst nothing can be proved either way, a non representative number of warranty returns could be disputed. I think that the last two paragraphs could have been omitted from the statement without affecting the message.

1) OcUK is not a supplier, it's a retailer (e-tailer).
2) Suppliers do not have forums.
3) I lol'd at "Intel monitoring OcUK's forums" :D

How do you think Gibbo goes about asking Intel what the limits are regarding voltages for those CPUs? They obviously acknowledge their chips are being overclocked, moreover the "K" series are designed specifically to be overclocked.

OcUK works with Intel to provide the lowest return on the parts. Works for everyone, consumers, retailers and the manufacturer. The truth is nobody benefits from failed CPUs.

Soldato
Why do I now have a feeling that we are now about to see a 'new' range of higher priced 'Sandy Bridge compatible' lower voltage memory modules 'launched' by all the major manufacturers! ;)

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Why do I now have a feeling that we are now about to see a 'new' range of higher priced 'Sandy Bridge compatible' lower voltage memory modules 'launched' by all the major manufacturers! ;)

We have a brand new range en-route, pricing not much higher but it should be higher as the current DDR3 has got way too cheap, might as well be giving it away. :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

The XMS3 however is proving excellent in our testing today, so far stable at 1.40v at rated timings (1600MHz 9-9-9-24). :)

Soldato
We have a brand new range en-route, pricing not much higher but it should be higher as the current DDR3 has got way too cheap, might as well be giving it away. :D

Or it could just stay cheap? If only businessmen had hearts, though I suspect they wouldn't be businessmen if they did.

Soldato
I just notice other company had now reduced the overclock speed from 4.8GHz to 4.6GHz on both i5 2500K and i7 2600K now. Hmmm very interesting really. Look like they been in touch with Intel directly just like what OCUK did. But, OCUK did a sensible in the 1st place with all bundles at 4.6Ghz. Well done ocuk.

OcUK Staff
OP
I just notice other company had now reduced the overclock speed from 4.8GHz to 4.6GHz on both i5 2500K and i7 2600K now. Hmmm very interesting really. Look like they been in touch with Intel directly just like what OCUK did. But, OCUK did a sensible in the 1st place with all bundles at 4.6Ghz. Well done ocuk.

Well we have had stock longer, more time to conduct proper testing and we feel 4.6GHz is a good reliable overclock that we can sell and give with a confidence a full warranty.

Our test rig here is running like a gem, prime stable, memtest stable and that is at 4.2GHz from a 2500k in a Asus Pro P67 board at stock voltage. The cooler is an Akasa Venom. The memory XMS3 is running at 1600MHz at just 1.40v completely memtest stable, infact we feel the memory will be fine at just 1.35v too. :)

All in all its very impressive they can do 4.2GHz at stock volts and Corsair's 1.65v rated memory run at its rated timings as low as 1.35v prime stable. All round very pleased. Gonna leave it priming overnight with memory set to 1.65v just to see if it dies.

Soldato
Well our test rig at 4.2GHz is sitting around 1.2v, we shall see what she can reach at 1.3v tomorrow. :)

I've been playing with clocks and have got 4.2ghz out of 1.1vcore.

I couldn't get that low a vcore for that clock when I first got the chip, but I can now, it seems the more you use them, the less vcore they need, strange, but it looks very promising.

Associate
I am wrong to be concerned that a motherboards auto OC feature could take the SB processor into volltages that could damage it, i.e. MSI's OC Genie 2?

Soldato
Interesting. Mine was 'auto' overclocked on day 1 to 4.3Ghz with a Vcore of 1.195V. I am quite happy with that but would be interesting to see what else it could do. I am a bit less happy about the G.Skill Ripjaw memory. The computer won't post after shut down using recommended timings @1600Mhz effective unless the DDR voltage is set to 1.625V or higher. Having read these forums I am a bit uneasy about having the RAM voltage that high but everything seems very stable at the moment and temperatures are good.

Incidentally the ASUS P8P67 has a little 'mem OK' button and a bright red LED near the RAM slots. If the RAM malfunctions during POST (which happens at under 1.625 vcore it seems) it lights up. Turning the power off then on again or holding down the button always leads to successful bootup. I am contemplating sending the RAM back to OcUK but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle and inconvenience if it running at 1.625 is fine for the system.

Associate
Well we have had stock longer, more time to conduct proper testing and we feel 4.6GHz is a good reliable overclock that we can sell and give with a confidence a full warranty.

Our test rig here is running like a gem, prime stable, memtest stable and that is at 4.2GHz from a 2500k in a Asus Pro P67 board at stock voltage. The cooler is an Akasa Venom. The memory XMS3 is running at 1600MHz at just 1.40v completely memtest stable, infact we feel the memory will be fine at just 1.35v too. :)

All in all its very impressive they can do 4.2GHz at stock volts and Corsair's 1.65v rated memory run at its rated timings as low as 1.35v prime stable. All round very pleased. Gonna leave it priming overnight with memory set to 1.65v just to see if it dies.

Gibbo, the Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 2250Mhz kit I got with my rig doesn't run at anything less than 1.65v.

Can I ask what version of BIOS you are running in the Asus Pro P67 board? Mine keeps crashing randomly at stock settings bar the DRAM voltage at 1.65v.

If I pop along to the shop tomorrow, can I swap my RAM for XMS3 and also get a new P8P67 Pro motherboard?

Caporegime
Has anyone ran into issues with stress testing? I noticed in the hardocp review they mentioned that a few times they had it running prime stable for hours, then as soon as they loaded up a game it immediately gave a bsod.

Back
Top Bottom