Injuries over the course of a season

Soldato
Like I said I dont care about your opinion whatsoever so if you want a similar record for other clubs you can find that out yourself. Only thing I will say is when a player is missing for 2/3 games in a row it's safe to say it's more than just precautionary but like most things you need it spelling out for you

Soldato
Isn't your squad several players bigger than City's? If so, in terms of numbers of players available to both sides on average each week, you'd be pretty similar.

Meant to reply to this Barry I'm not just ignoring you ;)

It's a fair point tbh we've been massively hit with injuries in defence all season long and while us losing Vidic is the equivalent of City losing Kompany we've got better (and more) options in reserve (Ferdinand, Smalling, Evans & Jones all being significantly better than Lescott, Toure & Savic imo)

Up front though if we lose Rooney we're fudged whereas City loose Aguero then they've still got Balotelli, Dzeko & who knows maybe even Tevez all better options than Welbeck, Hernandez & Berbatov. They're obviously stronger than us in midfield as well.

Soldato
OP
Can you admit to a teeny tiny dislike? ;)

Mind you, there are Utd fans on here who wind me up far more!

To be fair the numbers don't show a huge deal, but it's a talking point for a Friday morning. We have suffered quite badly with injuries this season but City losing Kompany for the last 4(?) games seems to have knocked them a fair bit so it largely evens out.

Soldato
OP
Isn't your squad several players bigger than City's? If so, in terms of numbers of players available to both sides on average each week, you'd be pretty similar.

they keep sending their squaddies out on loan. Tbh though they should have more squad depth for what they've spent.

I think I read somewhere that, on average, at the 30 game point their regular front 6 had each played about 7-8 more games than united's. Whether that's through a lack of willingness or lack of ability to rotate is up for debate but maybe that could tell at that the end of the season. Though tbf it would probably have had more of an effect if we both hadn't been so crap in europe etc.

Caporegime
I'm actually surprised at how little the likes of Hernandez has actually been injured, as it seems like he's barely played this season and on the face of things that's simply been because he hasn't been in favour

He technically wasn't injured, he had concussion and because of sickness he was given time to rest, then time to get match sharp after missing pre-season, but that point the system had begun to work with Welbeck. He was out and unavailable, but not officially with an injury.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Can you admit to a teeny tiny dislike? ;)

Mind you, there are Utd fans on here who wind me up far more!

To be fair the numbers don't show a huge deal, but it's a talking point for a Friday morning. We have suffered quite badly with injuries this season but City losing Kompany for the last 4(?) games seems to have knocked them a fair bit so it largely evens out.

I assume you are not a united fan? Losing Kompany for 4 games is not quite as serious as losing vidic for the whole season. I can't remember the last time we had as many injuries to key players over the course of a season but it's all irrelevant come the end of the season. No-one remembers why you did / didn't win the league.

Soldato
I assume you are not a united fan? Losing Kompany for 4 games is not quite as serious as losing vidic for the whole season. I can't remember the last time we had as many injuries to key players over the course of a season but it's all irrelevant come the end of the season. No-one remembers why you did / didn't win the league.

Very true, and no one cares why you're top of the league either :p

As for when we last had these injuries look no further than the 09/10 season, I remember us going to Fulham that season with a back 4 of Fletcher, Carrick, Evra and De Laet. Unfortunately that's not the only thing that this season has in common with that year, it was back in 09/10 that Rooney last had a goal scoring season like this and the last time Valencia was in the kind of form as he is now. It was also the last season before a big international tournament as well. We finished 1 point behind first that season :(

Soldato
OP
Hello mate. Hope you're keeping well?
Nice to see a familiar face on the forum still! :)

Not bad thanks, yourself?

I'm still around but work keeps me from being about as much as usual. That and the fact that you can only have the same old argument so many times before it becomes a bit tiring!

Man of Honour
Interesting stats.

As mentioned "missed games due to injury" would be more interesting than "weeks injured". Also (and I realise this is too subjective to be reasonable) it would be nice to have it weighted somewhat so that "first XI players" counted more than "backup" players..... as I say far too subjective because you can never get agreement on what the best XI of any club is but in a utopian world that would be nice. Eg if you take Arsenal as an example, someone like Diaby gets injured a lot but isn't first choice, whereas Van Persie is (thankfully he's been fit most of this season).

What I find quite reassuring is that the current season has felt better than most for injuries (i.e. pretty bad rather than horrendous) and the stats back that up, first time in many years that someone other than Spurs has had more injuries).

Sad thing is I've lost count of how many years it is since Arsenal could field my first choice XI - think it must be around 5yrs now, possibly longer.

Back
Top Bottom