• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core Ultra 'Arrow Lake' Discussion/News ("15th gen") on LGA-1851

RSR

RSR

Soldato
If this is anything to go by (probably a load of tosh) then we should be getting it very soon. Q4 sounds about right though, more in line with gpu launches too.

Like all other launches, it will most likely be the Sep / Oct / Nov window.

Soldato
OP
Like all other launches, it will most likely be the Sep / Oct / Nov window.

We'd usually have seen engineering sample leaks of the CPU's and motherboards by now. So far we've seen no ES for desktop CPU's, or motherboards. Something feels off, I think September is highly unlikely. Q1 2025 more likely IMO!

RSR

RSR

Soldato

Following is what we know about Arrow Lake-S Desktop CPUs so far:
  • LGA 1851 Socket Longevity Planned Uptill 2026
  • DDR5 Only Compatibility, No DDR4 Support
  • Kicks off With 800-Series Motherboards
  • Support For Up To DDR5-6400 Memory (Native JEDEC)
  • Increased PCIe Gen 5.0 Lanes Through CPU & PCH
  • Arrow Lake-S First Desktop Family Supported (DIY)
  • Arrow Lake-S CPUs feature 3 MB L2 Cache Per P-Core
  • Arrow Lake-S CPUs feature Alchemist iGPUs
  • Arrow Lake-S CPUs feature 8+16, 6+8 CPU SKUs
  • Arrow Lake-S 8+16 (24 Cores)
  • Arrow Lake-S 6+8 (14 Cores)
  • No Hyper-Threading Support(?)
  • Launching In 2H 2024

Soldato

I have thunderbolt 4 on my motherboard and feel usb4 maybe better as the speeds drops from 40Gbps to 10Gbps if you use a USB 4.0 device with it
And feel there going be a lot more USB 4.0 devices available later then thunderbolt 4 ones.
Plus thunderbolt 4 devices seem to be very pricey from the ones i looked at so far :(

But it seems to be a right mess at the moment
Even with apple devices some have thunderbolt 4 and others have USB 4.0 and you can't get 40Gbps transfer speeds by mixing them

Not sure if this is correct but think AMD boards come with USB 4.0 and Intel Boards come with Thunderbolt 4, What a complete mess if that is true at all.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I have thunderbolt 4 on my motherboard and feel usb4 maybe better as the speeds drops from 40Gbps to 10Gbps if you use a USB 4 device with it
And i think there going be a lot more USB 4 devices available later then thunderbolt 4 ones, (Plus thunderbolt 4 devices seem very pricey)
USB4 supports 40Gb / 20Gb connections and then drops down to the others, TB4 supports a whole range of USB generations. TB4 has several other advantages like native networking and raw PCIe device access etc but yes, I get it for a lot of people thats not important. However, moving to a native design rather than the current designs of an external controller should make things a lot more accessible, and standardise a lot of support but also may increase the price. I see it as a positive step and I wonder if that paves the way for TB5.

Last edited:
Soldato
USB4 supports 40Gb / 20Gb connections and then drops down to the others, TB4 supports a whole range of USB generations. TB4 has several other advantages like native networking and raw PCIe device access etc but yes, I get it for a lot of people thats not important.
Yes, I think it’s better to have the capability of TB4 and not use it than not have it. Especially since it supports the USB standards anyway.

Man of Honour
Why has Intel dropped hyperthreading then?

I don't think it has been confirmed they are. The one actual known to be real leak had some CPU features disabled in the BIOS including hyperthreading due to being a development system where some stuff wasn't working and/or not working right and not showing the actual true core count/features.

Associate
I don't think it has been confirmed they are. The one actual known to be real leak had some CPU features disabled in the BIOS including hyperthreading due to being a development system where some stuff wasn't working and/or not working right and not showing the actual true core count/features.

Very low chance of HT making it (like none)

Man of Honour
Yeap, HT is gone. All leaks showed this for over a year.

I've only seen 1 leak which isn't either just based off the one actual leak, which was a development system with features disabled, or probably people making stuff up. Some people seem to be basing it off Lunar Lake having no HT implementation with its Lion Cove cores.

The chipset supports it, though that may be due to also supporting Redwood Cove cores.

Soldato
It looks like Arrow Lake maybe attempting to tame Intel's ludricious TDP's by reducing the clock rate considerably

If that is the case it will be interesting to see what IPC uplift Intel has achieved with the new process node and if it can remain performance competitive with AMD's Zen 5 offerings.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It looks like Arrow Lake maybe attempting to tame Intel's ludricious TDP's by reducing the clock rate considerably

If that is the case it will be interesting to see what IPC uplift Intel has achieved with the new process node and if it can remain performance competitive with AMD's Zen 5 offerings.

I expect Arrow Lake to be inferior to Raptor Lake for lightly threaded applications (games etc), as clocks/power consumption will be so much lower. Also Intel's first desktop chiplet design, so unlikely to hit a home run their first time.

Back
Top Bottom