Inwall Speaker Installation Query

Caporegime
Hi,

I've currently got a Samsung Frame 43" (Can't remember the generation, think it's a 2021 model) in our kitchen on the shoe storage unit.

I'm wanting to wall mount that and get a "frame" for it so I can actually use it for its purpose. I've only managed to get it properly set up in so far as it'll always display an image as it sees someone walking past.
At the moment it's only got a very cheap and crappy sound bar that I won't be using when I actually wall mount the TV, and so therefore I'm somewhat curious about where I go for the audio.

I was looking at some inwall speakers as a potential possibility from an aesthetics point of view.

I've had a look at my wall and measured the depth, it's 9.5CM end to end. I've actually got a good picture to show the depth. On the other side of the TV it's our downstairs bathroom

embed

embed

The speakers I've been looking at for the moment are - https://www.richersounds.com/catalog/product/view/id/118983/s/bowers-wilkins-cwm362/ and that's about the absolute top end I'd go for the speakers, in fact I'd been looking at the polk audio ones as well which come in about ~£200.

My question is, is it actually feasible to install the speakers into the wall? The depth of the speakers says 7.6CM.
I've got the gist on installing, find the joists and then cut out the template. I'm comfortable enough running the speaker cable to where I need (I do run a bit of data at work when required and it's not worth paying a contractor)

There's a Nest Hub Max in the kitchen, so the speakers would realistically only be used for the TV.

I haven't particularly thought about amp yet, but I can worry about that later. It's just about working out feasibility of inwall speakers.

There's also a chance I end up with a set of Sony HT-AX7 speakers as there's a promotion with a Sony Xperia 1V and my phone contract is due up, so I could just go down that route for convenience.

Cheers.

Associate
Plasterboard is usually 12.5mm isn't it? So you'll lose 25mm leaving a cavity depth of 70mm.

If the speaker is 76mm from front edge you should have room (as it'll protrude 63.5mm into the cavity, but you haven't got much margin to work with!

Also check the orientation of the speaker terminals as these might stick out further once fed with cable.

Soldato
Caporegime
OP
Hmm

Would you recommend any slimmer speakers then, I was struggling to find some (Albeit I did find some really thin ceiling ones)

As that sounds really tight

I did some some Dali on wall speakers which I couldn't seem to find any others like it

Soldato
Hmm

Would you recommend any slimmer speakers then, I was struggling to find some (Albeit I did find some really thin ceiling ones)

As that sounds really tight

I did some some Dali on wall speakers which I couldn't seem to find any others like it

Read that Dali speaker is really bright sounding (Oberon)

tbh with that wall I'd just fit on wall speakers

Soldato
Hi,

I've currently got a Samsung Frame 43" (Can't remember the generation, think it's a 2021 model) in our kitchen on the shoe storage unit.

I'm wanting to wall mount that and get a "frame" for it so I can actually use it for its purpose. I've only managed to get it properly set up in so far as it'll always display an image as it sees someone walking past.
At the moment it's only got a very cheap and crappy sound bar that I won't be using when I actually wall mount the TV, and so therefore I'm somewhat curious about where I go for the audio.

I was looking at some inwall speakers as a potential possibility from an aesthetics point of view.

I've had a look at my wall and measured the depth, it's 9.5CM end to end. I've actually got a good picture to show the depth. On the other side of the TV it's our downstairs bathroom

embed

embed

The speakers I've been looking at for the moment are - https://www.richersounds.com/catalog/product/view/id/118983/s/bowers-wilkins-cwm362/ and that's about the absolute top end I'd go for the speakers, in fact I'd been looking at the polk audio ones as well which come in about ~£200.

My question is, is it actually feasible to install the speakers into the wall? The depth of the speakers says 7.6CM.
I've got the gist on installing, find the joists and then cut out the template. I'm comfortable enough running the speaker cable to where I need (I do run a bit of data at work when required and it's not worth paying a contractor)

There's a Nest Hub Max in the kitchen, so the speakers would realistically only be used for the TV.

I haven't particularly thought about amp yet, but I can worry about that later. It's just about working out feasibility of inwall speakers.

There's also a chance I end up with a set of Sony HT-AX7 speakers as there's a promotion with a Sony Xperia 1V and my phone contract is due up, so I could just go down that route for convenience.

Cheers.

Why would you want the speakers flush with the wall, when the TV isn't?

I would think it would look better if they both stick out as far as each other from the wall.

Also, all the cables are going to be visible and as you pointed out yourself, you have no amp, and you really do need to think about that now because amps are usually pretty big.

It would, perhaps, be better to go for powered speakers, but even so you have the problem of visible wires.

What I would do, which is a bit ambitious, is mount the TV, buy a good soundbar, mount that on the wall so it is flush with the tv screen, then construct a timber frame around it, plasterboard it, skim coat it, and paint it white! So all of it is flush and all the wires are hidden.

Caporegime
OP
Why would you want the speakers flush with the wall, when the TV isn't?

I would think it would look better if they both stick out as far as each other from the wall.

Also, all the cables are going to be visible and as you pointed out yourself, you have no amp, and you really do need to think about that now because amps are usually pretty big.

It would, perhaps, be better to go for powered speakers, but even so you have the problem of visible wires.

What I would do, which is a bit ambitious, is mount the TV, buy a good soundbar, mount that on the wall so it is flush with the tv screen, then construct a timber frame around it, plasterboard it, skim coat it, and paint it white! So all of it is flush and all the wires are hidden.

Because it's a kitchen, if the speakers are "away" as possible that works best for me from a looks POV.

The Frame does a job of being more than a TV with the art side of things.

On the amp side of things, there's plenty of small options. I mean hell on my PC set up I've got a sound blaster X7 (White) which wouldn't look out of place as the amp.

It's not something I'm concerned about getting the best performance. It's just for something to watch when eating tea etc.

The audio aspect of the TV only needs to go into the one connect with it easy enough to sit and hide in the shoe rack, same with the amp tbh.

I'm also pretty sure speaker cable I can run in the wall easily enough if I'm opening up the cavity to stick an in wall speaker.

Like I say, for simplicity's sake I could Bluetooth them to a Sony A7X or whatever it's called they're giving away with the 1V on 02.

Last edited:
Associate
Can you mount the speakers in the ceiling instead?
If it's just for casual TV whilst cooking or eating then a stereo image isn't particularly important.

I've not seen any slimmer speakers than the ones you've found from a major manufacturer.

Caporegime
OP
Can you mount the speakers in the ceiling instead?
If it's just for casual TV whilst cooking or eating then a stereo image isn't particularly important.

I've not seen any slimmer speakers than the ones you've found from a major manufacturer.

I don't think I'd be able to mount them in the ceiling.

That said, there's some ceiling speakers that are thinner than the in wall ones but with the same sort of fitting. Can't imagine there's any reason they couldn't be in the wall.

Back
Top Bottom