iPhone 12 - cracked camera?

Associate
Got a iPhone 12 and when talking photos can see lines which indicate a cracked camera. The lens itself looks fine

However, when I zoom in the cracks disappear. Is that just because it switches from one camera to another?

Associate
I have the same problem with an iphone 12 Pro. The phone was dropped & now it appears the camera lens or glass cover is cracked but there are no visible signs of damage. It's only the top of the 3 cameras that's affected as if I switch to 0.5x the problem disappears (this is a different camera). Took it to an Apple store & they wanted to replace the whole camera unit for £200 so presumably something optical has got cracked internally that can't be seen through the glass. Just checking if anyone else has experience of this issue & how they resolved it.

IMG-7553.jpg
IMG-7554.jpg

Associate
Must be the inner lens array that's cracked
Thanks. I was afraid of that. I've now found several similar cries for help online, some with 200+ 'it's also happened to me' hits. Seems to be a common problem with iphone 12. Must have rather delicate innards as it wasn't even dropped on a hard surface. Think I'll just have to live with it.

Associate
How many millions of devices were sold? A few hundred or a few thousand issues is hardly a 'common problem'.
I should have been more careful with my wording. Seems to be a problem specific to iphone model 12. Or, from the online reports I found, it appears that iphone 12 is more susceptible to this type of damage than other iphone models.

Back
Top Bottom