Is it illegal NOT to save someone from dying?

Permabanned
surely when the thread is entitled

thats entirely the point ?

Not really, not when I am countering the OP's implication that you should only consider the legality of such a decision with also considering the moral implications.

So the OP should be made aware that while doing nothing may not be illegal, his concience would in all likelihood negate that consideration.

So, no the legality is not the point as the moral implication is greater.

Soldato
Not really, not when I am countering the OP's implication that you should only consider the legality of such a decision with also considering the moral implications.

So the OP should be made aware that while doing nothing may not be illegal, his concience would in all likelihood negate that consideration.

So, no the legality is not the point as the moral implication is greater.

I don't think morals come into it. Theres no 'good samaritan' requirment under english law. OP's question is purely technical and thats why the moral aspect is not important. If he wanted a moral debate he should have entitled the thread differently.

Permabanned
I don't think morals come into it. Theres no 'good samaritan' requirment under english law. OP's question is purely technical and thats why the moral aspect is not important. If he wanted a moral debate he should have entitled the thread differently.

I see your point.

I was merely pointing out that the moral implication would negate the issue of legality for the vast amount of people.

incidently, although there may not be a 'good samaritan' requirement, there is one regarding negligence.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You can be prosecuted for leaving the scene of a road accident (before the emergency services arrive) in the UK, but I'm not sure there's anything about helping people.

Yes there is, it's called the European Good Samaritan Law, which is why when driving in Europe you are required to carry a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher, as you are required to stop and give assistance at the scene of an accident.

Permabanned
Yes there is, it's called the European Good Samaritan Law, which is why when driving in Europe you are required to carry a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher, as you are required to stop and give assistance at the scene of an accident.

Not in the UK however.

Man of Honour
On the subject of CPR -
If the heart as stopped then there is a very low chance of getting somebody back and forget what you see happening in movies.
However some do come back so that's why you you try.

You can't be sued for for giving First Aid to someone but if they are choking you must ask them first before smacking them on the back and hopefully you don't get to the Heimlich Maneuver but if you do they must go to A&E to be checked out.
If you see someone in trouble and not breathing you are not allowed to pinch them or rub your knuckles down their chest.

Permabanned
I like how you put so much emphasis on the NOT, as if it's illegal to save someones life:p

There is no emphasis at all. The European Samaritan Legislation simply is not valid in the UK.

In no way did I even suggest that it is illegal to help anyone, so quit making stuff up.:confused:

Transmission breaker
Don
This is relevant...

Assume that everything you read is true and possible; there are no tricks or traps - then answer the following...

Q1 - A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are 5 people who have been tied to the track by a mad philosopher. Fortunately, you can flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track away from the 5 people. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch?

Question 2 to follow :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom