• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth upgrading from a 6800XT yet?

Soldato
Hello All,

As per the title, is it worth spending the money on a 7900xt is the price point right or is ppl waiting on the next lot of GPU's.

I'm playing most games at 4k mixed settings, but Dragons Dogma 2 is giving me quite low FPS so thinking it might be time to jump.

Soldato
OP
I dont think its worth it financially but its your money of course.
You could be right, Ive been saying that for the last year but some games im starting to notice I need more gpu grunt. How long are we looking at for the next wave of GPU releases??

Soldato
Problem is there is nothing that gives a performance boost big enough to justify the money you have to spend to purchase that option. If we skip the price tag for a second I feel the only card with enough juice for 4k would be the 4090, 4080/super and 7900XTX and be a performance upgrade worthy of your time over a 6800XT.

On a sidenote: Dragons dogma 2 has performance issues related to CPU(statement from the dev) so don't fall in the trap of upgrading because you most likely would be disappointed by the result.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Problem is there is nothing that gives a performance boost big enough to justify the money you have to spend to purchase that option. If we skip the price tag for a second I feel the only card with enough juice for 4k would be the 4090, 4080/super and 7900XTX and be a performance upgrade worthy of your time over a 6800XT.

On a sidenote: Dragons dogma 2 has performance issues related to CPU(statement from the dev) so don't fall in the trap of upgrading because you most likely would be disappointed by the result.

Interesting about the CPU issue with Dragons Dogma, maybe I'll be better off with a CPU upgrade, I still have a 12400f, then upgrade the GPU in the next generation.

Associate
Been having the similar itch with a 6750xt @ 1440p. I do like that gaming at 90+ fps and ultra settings which gets less frequent.

I'm skeptical of the "wait for next gen" on different levels. When was the last time these boards did anything other than "dissappoint/rage" at either the miniscule set-up in performance or terrible price/value?

Common sense does sprinkle patience to wait 8 months for the 8800xt RNDA4. Like I waited for the 7 series and then bought the 6 series :D

Last edited:
Soldato
It's worth upgrading to a 4090. ;)

But from RDNA 2 to RDNA 3 it's a complete miss (worst of all - RDNA 4 sounds like it will be the same).

Last edited:
Associate
Nah, i work to the principle of at least two full process node generations, and at least three architecture generations.
i would likewise expect to usefully increase memory capacity and bandwidth - which early generation GDDR7 won't give me.

5870 2GB > 7970 GHz edition > Vega64 > 6800XT = RDNA5 for me.

Last edited:
Associate
The 7900 XT let alone the 7900 XTX is a pretty sizeable jump. It's also competing very well against the RTX 4080 for the money.

Even more so as the resolution climbs thanks to the wider memory bandwidth, something RDNA2 was bad at was scaling performance upwards of 1080P.

relative-performance-1920-1080.png

relative-performance-2560-1440.png

relative-performance-3840-2160.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom