Is my AIO mounted ok

Soldato
Looks fine to me, i can’t see any issue with it.

Probably the best way around in that setup. Ideally you want a rad in that orientation with the ports at the top. Air wants to rise and in that orientation it will allow it to do so freely. Other way around then can be difficult to bleed especially in custom loops.

Soldato
OP

Probably the best way around in that setup. Ideally you want a rad in that orientation with the ports at the top. Air wants to rise and in that orientation it will allow it to do so freely. Other way around then can be difficult to bleed especially in custom loops.

That's good to hear, cheers bud

Soldato

In a custom loop that's correct but in an AIO it's not possible to bleed out air. It should be bled already but there will always be a small amount. Ultimately I'd say it makes very little difference but with the rad in that orientation it has the potential to be a little noisier as the air can be drawn around the system.

Gamers Nexus did a video about it a while ago which sparked up the controversy. It was probably them just being anal as I said there's very little difference but it can be there.

OP, if your happy with it I wouldn't worry about it :)

Soldato
OP
In a custom loop that's correct but in an AIO it's not possible to bleed out air. It should be bled already but there will always be a small amount. Ultimately I'd say it makes very little difference but with the rad in that orientation it has the potential to be a little noisier as the air can be drawn around the system.

Gamers Nexus did a video about it a while ago which sparked up the controversy. It was probably them just being anal as I said there's very little difference but it can be there.

OP, if your happy with it I wouldn't worry about it :)

Cheers bud, I was thinking about the air movement inside the loop but I figured if the inlet/outlet was higher than pump it'd be fine... Thanks for the input

Associate
It wasn't just GN being anal, there is actual value to the point they were making (keep air away from your pump) as it was about longevity of the unit. No matter how good your tubing/seals etc are you will always see fluid loss over time and if you get to the point where you've got enough air that your pump can run dry that's what causes the problems.

As previous posters have said, in that config you're potentially leaving any air pockets a way to get round the loop and through the pump but your pump isn't the highest point so air won't be likely to collect there and cause you problems.

It looks like you could rotate the rad 180 fairly easily which would completely get rid of any issue on that front but it should run fine for a long time the way it currently is.

Soldato
OP
It wasn't just GN being anal, there is actual value to the point they were making (keep air away from your pump) as it was about longevity of the unit. No matter how good your tubing/seals etc are you will always see fluid loss over time and if you get to the point where you've got enough air that your pump can run dry that's what causes the problems.

As previous posters have said, in that config you're potentially leaving any air pockets a way to get round the loop and through the pump but your pump isn't the highest point so air won't be likely to collect there and cause you problems.

It looks like you could rotate the rad 180 fairly easily which would completely get rid of any issue on that front but it should run fine for a long time the way it currently is.

Rad should be the other way around, at the moment it is upside down which could cause circulation issues if there are any air bubbles or if air bubbles appear over time

Rotate it so pipes are at the bottom as air will collect at the top and get pulled into the block.

Cheers guys, I will get it rotated then once the build is running :)

Associate
Holy thread revival Batman! Just goes to show that using the search engine works wonders. :cry:

This thread has confirmed the orientation I was considering. I'm fortunate that I can mount the rad with the pipes entering and exiting below the pump (at the bottom of the rad) and the pump will be about half way up.

I take this to mean that if there is a small amount of air in the system it will become harmlessly trapped in the upper end of the rad and above the pump.

Associate
Holy thread revival Batman! Just goes to show that using the search engine works wonders. :cry:

This thread has confirmed the orientation I was considering. I'm fortunate that I can mount the rad with the pipes entering and exiting below the pump (at the bottom of the rad) and the pump will be about half way up.

I take this to mean that if there is a small amount of air in the system it will become harmlessly trapped in the upper end of the rad and above the pump.

You assume correctly :).

Associate
Glad no one mentioned cavitation for such small/low powered pump. :D
As long the rad’s ports are above the pump level will be fine, until, many years dow the line coolant levels drop to the point of starving the pump.
But for the first years, the only difference will be noise (disregarding performance, as that will be a whole different discussion). I tend to find radiators mounted at the top of the case to be quieter, or maybe never let it upright long enough to move micro bubbles back to the radiator. Who knows.

Associate
The chance of an AIO leaking enough to brick anything is so small I'd consider it trivial. I think I'd rather have the weight of the cooler on the chassis than hanging off the motherboard or impeding choice of RAM, in the case of a big air cooler (though I do move my computer occasionally).

Back
Top Bottom